Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Michael Weiss

Hell's Librarian
    The restaurant at the end of the universe
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Why, or why, is Michael Weiss continuing on as an eligible skater? Does he honestly think he can be competitive - both technically and artistically - with the current crop of top male skaters? Please. Weiss has yet to land a consistent quad lutz, nor has he managed to skate a clean long program. His "artistry" is little more than arm flailing and awkward attempts at musical interpretation.

Frankly, it says a lot about the low quality of American male skaters when someone who has obviously passed his prime still remains a medal contender at US nationals.
    You know, I hate these types of topics. "Why doesn't skater X retire..." He'll retire when he stops winning, or he's sick of skating. Until then, it's up to the other men to beat him.

Mike Weiss still places in the top 10 at Worlds and has won several of the Grand Prix, with wins as recently as this year, so I'd say he's quite competitive internationally. In addition, in the 2002 Worlds, he won his qualifying round. I remember Alexi Yagudin being interviewed about the competition at that Worlds, and he said that he was watching Mike Weiss, who was having amazing practices. Lastly, often with skating it's not what jumps you have, it's how well you do in comparison to the other skaters on that night. Mike is often the last man standing.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoaringMice
    He'll retire when he stops winning, or he's sick of skating. Until then, it's up to the other men to beat him.
    Haven't you been listening? THE only reason why Mike ever won anything at all is because Brian Boitano stopped competing. If Brian turned eligable again, Mike would be off the podium!

Hell's Librarian
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    I didn't get to DC until Tuesday evening, and I didn't see the Men's qualis. I've been told by several people who were there that Weiss did not deserve first in his group, the weaker one, and that had he been in the other group, he would have been lucky to have been in fifth. However, I didn't witness this myself.
    I was there and watched the entirety of the qualifying rounds. Mike had one hell of a skate. He was amazing. I've never seen him skate better. While Mike isn't my favorite skater, his performance on that night made me tear up. He deserved his placement.

I agree that he was in the weaker group, and had he been in the other, probably wouldn't have been first. I'm not sure he'd have been down in fifth, though. But that is of no consequence - the qualifying groups are as they are, and Mike did win his, deservedly.

Hell's Librarian
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    Haven't you been listening? THE only reason why Mike ever won anything at all is because Brian Boitano stopped competing. If Brian turned eligable again, Mike would be off the podium!
    No, no. Brian now wouldn't beat Mike. So let's send Mike back in time to when Brian was eligible and see how he does. Where's that Tardis...

Custom Title

Tearing up at DC Worlds QR

I didn't exactly tear up at DC Worlds QR when Mike had a fairly decent skate. Mostly, I was glad for him that he didn't disappoint the many people in the audience who were rooting for him. Sort of a sigh of relief... especially since he's been so darned disappinting before.

I was holding my breath during his SP, and expelled it rather loudly when he had his big lutz fall. In fact, as he rounded the corner and headed down to the lutz take-off, I expect my groan had already started forming. It was quite clear that his entrance was way, way, too fast and too wild. Dang it all, it was on a jump that he'd been pretty consistent on.

Methinks that Mike will retire when his sponsors no longer want to foot the bill. At some point, he's going to have to establish some kind of way of support his family after eligible skating...

Linny

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    Methinks that Mike will retire when his sponsors no longer want to foot the bill. At some point, he's going to have to establish some kind of way of support his family after eligible skating...
    I don't think Mike has been in the position of relying on sponsors to pay his bills for quite a while now. He's been making good money since 1997 or so from doing the Tom Collins tour, various USFSA cheesefests, and other shows, on top of the ISU prize money. Because of the cheesefests, in particular, he is probably making better money as an eligible than he could if he turned pro -- there's just not a heck of a lot of work out there for pros nowadays.

Custom Title
    To his credit, Michael Weiss has, in fact, set up his own foundation in the past year to help fund up and coming American skaters -- see: http://www.michaelweiss.org/upcoming.shtml
    and
    http://www.michaelweiss.org/foundation.shtml

thank you Sylvia...

I was going to mention it, but I give it a few minutes and his doubters will have a negative spin on the foundation as well as everything else.

gkelly - Thanks for the explanation of the faulty combos. Apparently the plus and minus system gives the judges plenty of subjective room for hanky panky. You have to admit that when you decide on the 'severity' of the fault that 10 judges are not going to agree, and not even a majority is possible in some cases. Madam Tarassova mentioned that the CoP gives room for judges to cheat. And let's face it. They will.

Faulty jumps list:

Flutz. it's ok because the skater tried to do it correctly. Maybe a deduction, if the judge saw it.

Underrotated Jump not ok despite the skater tried to do it correctly.

Double Foot Landings. it's ok but there will be a deduction by subjectivity.

Long Preparation for Jump. subjective deduction despite it's easy to see.

Bad Landing Flow. subjective deduction despite it's easy to see.

My opinion would let the Caller and his cohorts to decide on the correctness of the jumps and have automatic deductions put into the computer marks.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 07-09-2004 at 10:18 PM.

I hope that as Mike's detractors hit retirement age, they won't be forced out of jobs they love simply because someone in authority decided that because they had reached a certain age, they had nothing left to offer.

Custom Title

Not for his age

My fervent wish that Mike leave eligible skating has nothing to do with his age. My husband is 71 and gets up every day and goes to work.

I wish Mike would leave eligible skating because he takes up limited broadcast time. I want to see other skaters. Mike is FF time for me.

Linny

I wish Mike would leave eligible skating because he takes up limited broadcast time. I want to see other skaters. Mike is FF time for me.
    Then these other skaters are going to have to skate better and earn their TV time.

This is about ageism and personal interests.

Do; you think a man of 71 who gets up every monring to go to work cares whether a younger man could either move up in the ranks or actually get employment? Would it not be better for the aged guy to quit and let some younger man get a job? Retirement is a whole new ballgame and one should be ready for it. I know of two suicides due to retirements and lots of miserable lives because of retirement.

There are several GPs where Michael is not skating, one can see other skaters some of whom have been around as long as Michael. Michael will know when to reitire as will older guys who are still working

Joe

I hope that as Mike's detractors hit retirement age, they won't be forced out of jobs they love simply because someone in authority decided that because they had reached a certain age, they had nothing left to offer.
    Exactly, well said.........same goes for your comments Toni and Joe.....42

Linny
    so complain to the networks... WHY should MIKE care if he's being broadcast or not? that is not in his personal control... neither is the judging... you're taking your frustration out on teh wrong guy... complain to Mr. Button(who needs someone to nitpick on and Mike is normally the guy that gets that "honor") or to sponsers of the stupid broadcast

This isn't a presidential election that comes every 4 years and even if you're on a roll tough luck we don't like you, bye bye. This is sport.. if and when the up and comers can put it all together and skate their hearts out and deserve a spot then an AMERICAN BROADCAST will show the AMERICAN skaters as well as select skaters in teh top flight. It's ALWAYS been that way... they'd lose American viewers/sponsers if they didn't

the media isn't fair, it's money hungry.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast