Michael Weiss | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Michael Weiss

S

SkateFan4Life

I guess the thing that bothers me the most about Michael Weiss is that, at the age of 28, he's still trying to figure out how to land triple axels, much less quads.
He has been known to make some ridiculous excuses for his error-laden programs, such as "I don't know what happened out there". Say what?

Sorry, guys, I just think that a skater who is still trying to figure out how to skate when he or she is pushing 30 is, well, chasing after the wind.

If Michael has a great 2004-2005 competitive season, I will be pleasantly shocked and surprised.

Kasey

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
He has been known to make some ridiculous excuses for his error-laden programs, such as "I don't know what happened out there". Say what?

Sounds like honesty to me.

Kasey

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Sorry, guys, I just think that a skater who is still trying to figure out how to skate when he or she is pushing 30 is, well, chasing after the wind.

um... yeah... so I guess I just shouldn't even consider trying to skate at any level because it'd just be pathetic for me to be in my 20s and I'll JUST NOW be learning to skate around the rink

the man can hit triple jumps, so what if he doesn't have the BEST ONES out there, it's more than a lot of us ever hope to do...

:rolleye: we're really reaching to dislike this guy....

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I've given up trying to figure out why posters dislike Michael Weiss. To each his own I guess. They say the opposite of "love" is "hate". Maybe this theory applies here. Perhaps some fans are disappointed in a skater they formally liked and now, can't stand having them around. It's happened before. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy Michael's skating and hopes he keeps at it until he's had enough........and I've said this before, if you don't like him, don't watch him....42

sk8er1964

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:

Sometimes you don't know what happened out there when you blow a program. Competitive skating is anything but an exact science. Just sharing a competitive skater's POV. :)

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
He has been known to make some ridiculous excuses for his error-laden programs, such as "I don't know what happened out there".
What's wrong with that answer? I bet Kurt Browning still asks himself what happened at the Olympics, I bet Plushenko still asks himself today what happened when he missed that quad in SLC, I bet Kwan still asks herself how did she miss that triple flip in SLC. Does that make them ridiculous too?

show 42 said:
I've given up trying to figure out why posters dislike Michael Weiss. To each his own I guess. They say the opposite of "love" is "hate". Maybe this theory applies here. Perhaps some fans are disappointed in a skater they formally liked and now, can't stand having them around. It's happened before. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy Michael's skating and hopes he keeps at it until he's had enough........and I've said this before, if you don't like him, don't watch him....42

Hi Show - I remember in Psychology Class that it was said that the opposite of love is disinterest.,. Disinterest in someone, life, politics, religion is defintely, a non-love situation.
I do believe the posters who have a negative interest in Michael is not a disinterest in Michael. He bringgs to them something which casues them to emote. There is no disinterest.

Joe (the armchair shrink :laugh:)

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
eurterpe - I quote myself here:

All I am saying is that I am finding excessive HATRED for Michael in this thread based on his behaviour. As a former skater I have no choice but to come to the defence of a colleague. Sasha Cohen made a verbal statement that she has already beaten Vikka Volchkova in a haughty (arrogant) way. I thought that was in bad taste for a skater to put down another skater. However, I am still a fan of Sasha Cohen. I happen to like her style and her behaviour off ice is just that. Joe

I do not think that anyone posting on this threat actually hates Michael Weiss, although some have posted some strong, negative comments. That's fair and square, as far as I'm concerned, as long as we don't get nasty in expressing our opinions and/or bash someone with said opinions.

Weiss's inability to skate a clean program, his constant flubbing of his quad lutz, and his unfortunate propensity to utter ungracious comments (when the microphone is turned on) have pretty much left me cold. I am not a Weiss fan - never have been, and never will be.

However, I can appreciate his tenacity to stick with it all these years, and certainly, if he wishes to continue as an eligible skater, more power to him. Retirement is optional, not a necessity.

eurterpe = I am in total agreement with you to nitpick his skating. That's your perrogative. But for the 'propensity to utter ungracious comments', if true, is his business, and if I heard it I would be saying Reeeealy, Michael, and not getting upset over what boys and men do in every sport. I think it adds a bit of masculinity to what otherwise is considered an effete sport for men.

Maybe we should just limit the sport to teenage girls. They do have better behaviour off the ice.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay Joe, now I am really digging deep into my memory banks....Psychology...mmmm. I thought perhaps the opposite of "disinterest" is "interest"....no? :) Or is hate a negative form of love? I think this is why I stuck with English Literature in college......... :) Anyway, I didn't mean to imply at anytime that I thought anyone "hated" Michael Weiss. It just seems that his skating and personality generate such strong negative feelings, more so than any other male skater at present. I just don't get it!! 42

I negatively love myself when I do this, but actually, isn't the opposite of "disinterested" something like "unbiased," or "lacking a personal stake in the matter?" Uninterested, on the other hand...

But Joe has an interesting point. Big-talk is accepted as macho in other sports -- why not figure skating?

Mathman:)

Show - If you are not interested in anyone or anything, you can not hate it or love it. there is nothing there. I would say the opposite of hate is also disinterest. both love and hate carry extreme emotional upheavals in the body. they are the same emotionally. Now if we take it down a notch and say, I like Michael or I dislike Michael, we acknowledge his existence and have normal feelings about him whether they are real or imaginary.,

I think from reading the posts which constantly put him down, that the writers are upset that he brags a lot and then doesn't produce the goods. they dislike his attitude and therefore they dislike him and his skating. I can understand that, but personally, I find Michael amusing and I am not a fan.

Thanks Mathman. I think we should get some more testosterone into figure skating and make it into a sport one can slug down a couple of beers and bite into some buffalo wings while watching the sport. ;)

Oh for the days of Jackson, Salchow and Lutz!!! :laugh:

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

IMHO, Michael will probably stay in the eligible ranks through the 2005-2006 so that he can try for another shot at skating in the Winter Olympics. Maybe he'll get his act together this season and land those quads and triples. As I wrote previously, if Weiss has a great season and skates up to his potential, I will be pleasantly surprised.

figure8fan17

Rinkside
I don't really care who goes and who stays on the eligible scene just so long as there are new faces mixed with old faces and a lot of variety and GOOD SKATING!! (Sometimes I do wish Micheal WOULD go away because his programs have no spark, his jump percentages are so poor and his artistry...well..I don't think I need to remark on that- we all already know about the quality of his artistic skills in his programs)

;)