Looking for information on investing | Golden Skate

Looking for information on investing

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Does anyone have any resources where I could find information about how to begin investing? I know the basics, like the difference from a stock and a bond... but thats about it. I have searched the net, but I cant find much information that is at my level.

Thanks!

bronxgirl

Medalist
I'd check the local banks as to when they are having a seminar on these topics. They may want you to sign up with them, but if you go to several from the competing banks, you'll get a feel for what options are out there.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
When I first took an interest in investing, I began with all the books by THE MOTLEY FOOLS. That included their workbook. I followed every single exercise and learned the basics on how to read the financial pages as well as analyze a monthly and year-end report of any company (except a bank--that was a whole other kettle of fish). I called up companies and asked for their investor relations departments and ordered their year-end reports (they're free!). I analyzed them thoroughly.

Anyhow, after I mastered those basics, I moved on and read every book that would teach me something DIFFERENT from what I had already learned. I read books by Phil Fisher, Peter Lynch, Charles Schwab and bios on Warren Buffet, the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" books, etc. I felt very empowered with this knowledge--I think that everyone should have a basic understanding of the stock market.

At the same time as I was learning about stocks, Mr. RG was mastering the mutual fund market, reading books, etc. Then we pooled our knowledge.

heyang

Record Breaker
Look into joining an investment club. They are usually faciliatated by a financial analyst.

I used to belong to one. Each month, we would pick 2 stocks to compare. Everyone was supposed to do research and then discuss the 2 at the next meeting. If a majority agreed, a stock purchase could be made. A review of existing holdings was also conducted to see if it was time to sell. We disbanded because people were discouraged during the downturn a couple of years ago, but it was a fun way to learn.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
heyang said:
of existing holdings was also conducted to see if it was time to sell. We disbanded because people were discouraged during the downturn a couple of years ago, but it was a fun way to learn.

That downturn would have been the PERFECT time to be buying stocks!

Antilles

Medalist
I'm a licensed stock broker, and while the actual manuals for taking the licensing courses are cumbersome, you can usually buy "cliff" or "Coles" notes versions of the books that will explain everything about the markets to you rather well. The Series 7 has a really good abbreviated version. You can learn about stocks, bonds, mutual funds and even options (which are for the more sophisticated investor. Your brokerage firm would actually have to approve you before you could purchase them.)