Advice on dealing with boot problems. | Golden Skate

Advice on dealing with boot problems.

miaskates

Spectator
(I hope this is the right place to post this, I'm new to this forum.)

I switched to ice around a month ago (having figure skated on roller for ~4.5 years) and I'm having a lot of boot trouble. On roller I'm in Edea (Roller not Ice) Fly boots (stiffness 50 I think?) having previously had Edea Preludio and Rondo boots. I've been very happy with these, especially the Fly boot - seems to be perfect for my feet! On ice I thought I'd stick to Edeas as I knew they'd work and I wanted something with a similar stiffness so went for Overtures (stiffness 48). I thought I was sticking to what I knew suited me.

...However I was wrong. Cue crippling arch pain both during and after skate sessions, meaning I have to stop and take my skates off every 20-30 mins or so on ice. I can barely make it through a 30 min private. My first proper skate in them, I could barely walk after only about an hour of skating (this is not a lot for me, on roller I've skated for much over 4 hours with no pain). I have tried several lacing methods, Scholl arch support insoles, wearing the skates while reading etc to get them to mould to my feet. No noticeable improvement.

My Roller Flys are size 255, but the skate shop pros measured my feet and recommend size 250 Edea Overtures. In the shop they felt okay - tightish around the toe area but okay. This was in line with what my roller coach had said - that ice boots normally have to be a little smaller than roller due to colder temp and more support needed for thin blades vs four large wheels. I had them punched out on both sizes of both boots that day too.

I really feel like I'm annoying my skate shop techs but I don't know who else to ask since I've never experienced anything like this with my roller boots.

The main problems are:
- Toe area still very tight (think I have quite wide feet)
- Terrible arch pain during and after sessions (beginning to think maybe I have flat feet or high arches? I'm also a dancer if it makes a difference)
- Can't seem to get the ankle area tight enough to feel fully supported for jump landings despite the rest of the boot feeling really tight
I don't know it they are related to each other. If it makes any difference, I'm landing most singles - except axel which I've just started to try on ice. On roller I'm working on axel/doubles - but jumping is considerably harder on wheels since the skates are heavier and you can't jump off a toepick for edge jumps.

I've never had this problem with Edeas on roller. It's really impacting my skating and I don't know if I should try another boot brand seen as I've always been happy with Edeas.?

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

cds327131327

Rinkside
(I hope this is the right place to post this, I'm new to this forum.)

I switched to ice around a month ago (having figure skated on roller for ~4.5 years) and I'm having a lot of boot trouble. On roller I'm in Edea (Roller not Ice) Fly boots (stiffness 50 I think?) having previously had Edea Preludio and Rondo boots. I've been very happy with these, especially the Fly boot - seems to be perfect for my feet! On ice I thought I'd stick to Edeas as I knew they'd work and I wanted something with a similar stiffness so went for Overtures (stiffness 48). I thought I was sticking to what I knew suited me.

...However I was wrong. Cue crippling arch pain both during and after skate sessions, meaning I have to stop and take my skates off every 20-30 mins or so on ice. I can barely make it through a 30 min private. My first proper skate in them, I could barely walk after only about an hour of skating (this is not a lot for me, on roller I've skated for much over 4 hours with no pain). I have tried several lacing methods, Scholl arch support insoles, wearing the skates while reading etc to get them to mould to my feet. No noticeable improvement.

My Roller Flys are size 255, but the skate shop pros measured my feet and recommend size 250 Edea Overtures. In the shop they felt okay - tightish around the toe area but okay. This was in line with what my roller coach had said - that ice boots normally have to be a little smaller than roller due to colder temp and more support needed for thin blades vs four large wheels. I had them punched out on both sizes of both boots that day too.

I really feel like I'm annoying my skate shop techs but I don't know who else to ask since I've never experienced anything like this with my roller boots.

The main problems are:
- Toe area still very tight (think I have quite wide feet)
- Terrible arch pain during and after sessions (beginning to think maybe I have flat feet or high arches? I'm also a dancer if it makes a difference)
- Can't seem to get the ankle area tight enough to feel fully supported for jump landings despite the rest of the boot feeling really tight
I don't know it they are related to each other. If it makes any difference, I'm landing most singles - except axel which I've just started to try on ice. On roller I'm working on axel/doubles - but jumping is considerably harder on wheels since the skates are heavier and you can't jump off a toepick for edge jumps.

I've never had this problem with Edeas on roller. It's really impacting my skating and I don't know if I should try another boot brand seen as I've always been happy with Edeas.?

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any advice would be highly appreciated.
I'm having the exact same problem here, is it fixed now?