Kostner to attend Mishin's camp | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kostner to attend Mishin's camp

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Why does she need to go to Mishin? Her technique is fine as is. What she needs is some ganja to calm her nerve before competitions.

khughes

On the Ice
I still don't understand at all why she wants to do this. It's OK to be single-minded when you are very young, but at 30 don't you want a rounded life that includes your boyfriend, friends, other areas of professional interest, some lovely fat-laced meals and possibly even a kid? Why would she want to risk her stellar reputation? Why would she want to put herself through the grim reality of intensive training and endless travel again? I imagine Mao is propelled in part by Japanese skating mania, but the Italians don't put a high priority on suffering for your sport, and could care less about figure skating in any case.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I still don't understand at all why she wants to do this. It's OK to be single-minded when you are very young, but at 30 don't you want a rounded life that includes your boyfriend, friends, other areas of professional interest, some lovely fat-laced meals and possibly even a kid? Why would she want to risk her stellar reputation? Why would she want to put herself through the grim reality of intensive training and endless travel again? I imagine Mao is propelled in part by Japanese skating mania, but the Italians don't put a high priority on suffering for your sport, and could care less about figure skating in any case.
She has to know why she wants to do it, no one else matters. She'll have plenty enough time for kids, eating candy and dating or whatever she wants to do when she finally ends her career.
Aliona Savchenko decided to continue with a new partner, that was an even greater risk and it has already payed off.
And Carolina isn't risking her reputation. She's known to be a fragile competitor anyway and I doubt that we'll see her competing with mediocre programs or with mediocre jumps. Doing a trainings camp with Mishin seems logical, because she's obviously taking it very seriously.
As a figure skating fan I think we're in for a treat. :)

inskate

On the Ice
I still don't understand at all why she wants to do this.

I imagine Mao is propelled in part by Japanese skating mania

As far back as in 2007, when Mao appeared in a talk show about "what are you plans for the future", she put ???? in the 2018 field, explaining that she does not know if her body will hold on for so long, but if it does, she might be still competing by then. She had always a lot of respect for any athletes who remained competing as long as possible.

I don't thing the figure skating mania is something that motivates her. She could be earning much, much more as a retired athlete (as long as she remains eligible, most of her earning from endorsements, commercials, etc. go to JSF).
Plus, overzealous media attention is something she was never overly fond of.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

I think we are not in place to criticize her decision, there is no need to delve into possible reasoning. It's perfectly possible to have other interests and being fulfilled in other areas while still being a competitor. I can't wait to see her back. I am pretty sure that we will see some beautiful skating again from Carolina, it's something that gets much more coverage than any shows. Maybe she just wants to express something by her performances again and share with us? It could be way more important than some empirical score. She may just love being part of it after all and needs some goal too.

Last edited:

noidont

Final Flight
Competing is addictive. There is nothing in regularly everyday life that can even come close to the feeling of thousands of people clapping along and giving you a standing ovation when you perform well, let alone the possibility of winning big things. It's fun. It's exciting. It's unpredictable. In comparison I can see how just doing show skating or working an office job could be ridiculously boring.

khughes

On the Ice
Competing is addictive. There is nothing in regularly everyday life that can even come close to the feeling of thousands of people clapping along and giving you a standing ovation when you perform well, let alone the possibility of winning big things. It's fun. It's exciting. It's unpredictable. In comparison I can see how just doing show skating or working an office job could be ridiculously boring.

Yes. This makes a lot of sense.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
It is really funny to always hear Mao or some other senior female skater being harshly treated by the judges now. Why so? If she wants fair judgment in competitions, better adapt her technique to the current scoring system and get her long-time jump issues fixed, instead of complaining all the time and putting some new stars down in one way or another at the same time.

Mishin is one of the GREATEST mens single skating coach in the world, who has turned out three Olympic Champions and one female World Champion so far, even Yagudin cannot DENY that! :rock: Oops, I almost forgot Liza! :laugh:

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
It is really funny to always hear that Mao or some other senior female skater being harshly treated by the judges now. Why so? If she wants fair judgment in competitions, better adapt her technique to the current scoring system and get her long-time jump issues fixed, instead of complaining all the time and putting some new stars down in one way or another at the same time.

Mishin is one of the GREATEST mens single skating coach in the world, who has turned out three Olympic Champions so far, even Yagudin cannot DENY that! :rock:

.....what top lady at World had good jump technique? Certainly not Medvedeva and sure as hell not Wagner...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Mishin is one of the GREATEST mens single skating coach in the world, who has turned out three Olympic Champions and one female World Champion so far, even Yagudin cannot DENY that!

Yagudin is grateful for Tarasova.... only!

samm22

On the Ice
.....what top lady at World had good jump technique? Certainly not Medvedeva and sure as hell not Wagner...

Exactly. Also Mao worked from 2010 to now (with a break in 2014-2015) to rework her jumps, so it's not like she hadn't tried. No top lady has "good" jumping technique right now...not even Anna imo

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Exactly. Also Mao worked from 2010 to now (with a break in 2014-2015) to rework her jumps, so it's not like she hadn't tried. No top lady has "good" jumping technique right now...not even Anna imo

But the funny thing is that at least Mao still has flow, posture, and an effortless and light quality even when her jumps are UR. She actually JUMPS with her legs. Lol

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Yagudin is grateful for Tarasova.... only!

Is Tarasova a technical expert? How long had she coached Yagudin before he won the Olympic title in 2002, compared to Mishin? To man up and admit the truth is always one's precious quality, you know.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight

You cannot sum it up this way even though you personally love Mao too much. Maybe my eyes are not that professional, but my hearing is really good. Until today I can still clearly remember Tara's effusive/lavish praise on Medvedva's skating at the Worlds, and she thought that Evgenia had very good jump technique, otherwise doing the 3S3T combo near the end of the program so effortlessly and beautifully would be an impossible task. And I also don't think it is wise to mention Wagner here. As for the qualities you listed about Mao, Evgenia has it all!

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
You cannot sum it up this way even though you personally love Mao too much. Maybe my eyes are not that professional, but my hearing is really good. Until today I can still clearly remember Tara's effusive/lavish praise on Medvedva's skating at the Worlds, and she thought that Evgenia had very good jump technique, otherwise doing the 3S3T combo near the end of the program so effortlessly and beautifully would be an impossible task. And I also don't think it is wise to mention Wagner here. As for the qualities you listed about Mao, Evgenia has it all!

Evgenia does not have brilliant technique that Mao has on her axel, Medvedeva jumps tend to be prerotated more vs Asada too.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Is Tarasova a technical expert? How long had she coached Yagudin before he won the Olympic title in 2002, compared to Mishin? To man up and admit the truth is always one's precious quality, you know.

I totally agree with you. You explain this to Yagudin.

samm22

On the Ice
But the funny thing is that at least Mao still has flow, posture, and an effortless and light quality even when her jumps are UR. She actually JUMPS with her legs. Lol
This!!! This is true! Mao's (and Carolina's) are fluid and and her landings are upright and held (especially with Caro).

samm22

On the Ice

Unfortunately, not everyone agrees that Evgenia has very good jump technique. She pre-rotates her toe loop (especially on her sal-toe combo) about the same as Ashley. Also she relies on her arms a great deal to muscle herself into the air, rather than using the edge and the legs to get her up. Not to mention she has a flutz. This however only goes to show how clean Carolina's technique is (when she lands of course) with her fluidity and edge control.

By the way, I think working with Mishin is a good thing to get back into her technique a little bit, and if she feels she needs to work with him, who am I to judge. She's 29, and has been skating for quite some time. I can only imagine that she knows her body well enoug to make decisions like this.