2016 Rio: Volleyball | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Volleyball

alebi

Medalist
I'm following the qualifying rounds right now. Anyone else doing the same?

You beat me, I was going to open a thread for volleyball too :biggrin:

I'm SOOOO relieved Italy's women team won the qualification tournament. They are so young and talented, but for Olympics I hope some more experienced girl will come back :). Unfortunately it won't be enough for a medal, but at least we're still there!!

For an European team, the qualification system isn't fair.... and for men this is even more evident. GO FRANCE, GO POLAND!! We want you at Olympics!! :hap10:

Fortunately Italy's men is already qualified!!! We'll fight for a medal for sure and for an Italian girl grew up with the legendary 90s team coached by Velasco... well an Olympic gold is still a chimera

alebi

Medalist
This is a recap of Women's qualification system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volleyball_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_–_Women's_qualification

And these are the two groups in Rio:

Group A
Brazil
Russia
Japan
South Korea
Argentina
Cameroon

Group B
USA
China
Serbia
Italy
Netherlands
Puerto Rico

First 4 teams per group qualify to next round.... Group B is a death one!! :eeking:

This is a recap of Men's qualification: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volleyball_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_qualification

They still had to play the two worlds tournaments but from 1st level tournament France, Poland, Iran and Australia/Canada are the best teams.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
For an European team, the qualification system isn't fair.... and for men this is even more evident. GO FRANCE, GO POLAND!! We want you at Olympics!! :hap10:

Fortunately Italy's men is already qualified!!! We'll fight for a medal for sure and for an Italian girl grew up with the legendary 90s team coached by Velasco... well an Olympic gold is still a chimera

Tell me about it. I still can't comprehend why World Champions don't have automatically Olympics qualification.... I mean, in Handball France did get qualification from winning WC. Looking at opponents in the qualifying tournament, I think Poland, Iran and France should qualify. From the second tournament whoever will qualify will not be fighting for medals anyway, but I guess they will be happy with qualification :) I'm super dissapointed at women volleyball in Poland these days... so I will cheer for Italy, as I always do :biggrin:

alebi

Medalist
Tell me about it. I still can't comprehend why World Champions don't have automatically Olympics qualification.... I mean, in Handball France did get qualification from winning WC. Looking at opponents in the qualifying tournament, I think Poland, Iran and France should qualify. From the second tournament whoever will qualify will not be fighting for medals anyway, but I guess they will be happy with qualification :) I'm super dissapointed at women volleyball in Poland these days... so I will cheer for Italy, as I always do :biggrin:

Because it's a matter of politics as usual... :disapp: FIVB is one of the most corrupted federation.... I can start an endless discussion about it...

Talking about men (but for women the situation is not so different), there's no doubt that European teams are the strongest: we have Russia, Italy, France, Poland, Serbia, Bulgaria, Germany at the top and a bunch of other teams at a decent level.

North America has USA at the top. The great Cuba has been destroyed by its politics, Canada is a good second one, but still a SECOND level.

South America has Brazil at top. Argentina is a good growing team.

Asia has Iran on top. Australia is a good second one, but still second level too, China/Japan/Korea aren't even near to the level their equivalent female teams has reached. They can't be considered.

Africa is not good.

FIVB qualification system works around a continental qualification, so only the first of the above-mentioned group qualify. The second and the third go to the world qualification. But you can understand that, while every other continent doesn't have more than 2 strong/decent teams, Europe could send any one and still be the best.

Then the FIVB created that **** which is the World Cup tournament, where the first two teams are granted a ticket to Olympics. Why it's a ****? Because teams that participate aren't the best but still only the two best per continent + Japan, who is ALWAYS the host of this tournament (money money money money....).
The result? France, Bulgaria, Serbia and so on will never participate (same for Italy's women who was the second best European for FIVB standings but not for CEV list... another piece of **** thing that they do, having two different standings and sometimes look at one and sometimes look at the other).

Why they don't give a spot to World Champion? Because they don't want to risk to give too many spots to European countries.

Why this year's qualification was even the worst ever? Because Brazil, who is a/the top team, is already qualified as host nation, so they left their continental spot to Argentina (who easily won their tournament) but is way weaker than second/third/fourth... European team, and even gave an opportunity to Venezuela and Chile (their second and third) to try again in world tournament. Where they'll never and ever have a chance.

Why, if America has only 2/3 decent teams, they have two separate confederations? Why Europe can't have, then, a Mediterranean and a Slavic confederation (LOL)? Secrets that we'll never learn :rolleye:

It's easy to realize that America and Asia have way more opportunities/power than Europe.... well do you know who were the FIVB's presidents during the last 30 years?? A Mexican, a Chinese and now a Brazilian...

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yes, and even more ridiculous is that in this year World Cup only top 2 team qualified and there were always top 3 before! It is so stupid! I mean Poland will qualify for sure but they will be so exhausted after this season, they won't have any chance to win gold. It would be another story if they didn't change the qualification system and they would get spot as third team at World Cup in January, but right now I don't predict they will have any exceptional performance in Rio. The don't really have much time for preparations... I think there should be 3 spots from World Cup as it was, and 2 spots from European qualifying event as it is the strongest continent federation, but that won't happen I guess any time soon.

alebi

Medalist
Yes, and even more ridiculous is that in this year World Cup only top 2 team qualified and there were always top 3 before! It is so stupid! I mean Poland will qualify for sure but they will be so exhausted after this season, they won't have any chance to win gold. It would be another story if they didn't change the qualification system and they would get spot as third team at World Cup in January, but right now I don't predict they will have any exceptional performance in Rio. The don't really have much time for preparations... I think there should be 3 spots from World Cup as it was, and 2 spots from European qualifying event as it is the strongest continent federation, but that won't happen I guess any time soon.

To me, World Cup must NOT exist. It's almost an invitational tournament. Why, for example, World League/Grand Prix, don't give a spot? There are already too many tournaments and they are useless for Olympics.

You need 12 teams?
Well, best 2 from continental championships (Europe/North America/South America/Asia) = 8
World Champion = 1
The last three spots in a world tournament where teams can participate based on FIVB ranking. Let's say the best 8 remaining teams.
The 3 spots will be won by European teams? It's a problem for the others.

Because, right now, teams like Serbia and Bulgaria don't even have another chance.... While one between Algeria, Mexico, Chile, Tunisia has GRANTED a spot

Italy did a miracle at World Cup, really a miracle! Because in the European tournament I doubt we could get a chance. At the same time it has also been better for the other European team to have one already qualified through World Cup. But I'm honest and I know that Italy could participate in the World Cup only thanks to its rankings, because the latest competitions didn't go well. France, for example, didn't have the same opportunities and they're still trying to get the ticket.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I agree that there are too many tournaments for national teams. The volleyball players from the best leagues already plays a lot during the season, it's impossible to play the whole year in good form.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
you beat me, i was going to open a thread for volleyball too :biggrin:

I'm soooo relieved italy's women team won the qualification tournament. They are so young and talented, but for olympics i hope some more experienced girl will come back :). Unfortunately it won't be enough for a medal, but at least we're still there!!

for an european team, the qualification system isn't fair.... and for men this is even more evident. Go france, go poland!! We want you at olympics!! :hap10:

Fortunately italy's men is already qualified!!! We'll fight for a medal for sure and for an italian girl grew up with the legendary 90s team coached by velasco... Well an olympic gold is still a chimera

100% agree!

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Because, right now, teams like Serbia and Bulgaria don't even have another chance.... While one between Algeria, Mexico, Chile, Tunisia has GRANTED a spot.

My thought exactly. Serbia, Bulgaria and Poland have great teams and a lot of fans, while teams like Algeria, Mexico, Chile and Tunisia are not even close in quality and level of their volleyball skills. IOC recently is taking "diversity" too far, you know... Any of those 4 teams would be eliminated in the first round of quali right away. Make no sense to me. IOC better take the true strongest teams and use their money to invest in some countries to develop volleyball there and to help them to reach skill level like other big volleyball countries, so they compete and be invited to Olympics due sports principles, not "diversification" policies.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
This is a recap of Women's qualification system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volleyball_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_–_Women's_qualification

And these are the two groups in Rio:

Group A
Brazil
Russia
Japan
South Korea
Argentina
Cameroon

Group B
USA
China
Serbia
Italy
Netherlands
Puerto Rico

First 4 teams per group qualify to next round.... Group B is a death one!! :eeking:

This is a recap of Men's qualification: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volleyball_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_qualification

They still had to play the two worlds tournaments but from 1st level tournament France, Poland, Iran and Australia/Canada are the best teams.

I think they really should change qualification system :slink: I understand that IOC wants to promote Volleyball in Africa and surely FIVB too but I think that teams like Cameroon are not worthy of Olympic participation. They should play tie with European team, if they're better then they should go. Meanwhile there are much stronger teams like Poland, Germany who were close to qualification which just to name few which are absent just because there is booked place for African team. Argentina is also not at the level of the best team for which there was no place already.

World Champions should be guaranteed Olympic spot too with no additional requirements (I think here about Polish men team).

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Obviously I agree with you all and if you want to know the whole story you should also say that many African countries, that won the African qualification ticket, refused to participate in the world qualification tournament because they have no money to travel all around the world and not even have the money to send their players in Rio.

After the women European qualification, Turkey lost her last chance, but suddenly every African teams begun to retire from the second level world tournament. We were all wondering if, then, Turkey was going to have a new chance but you understand that for Turkey, a SECOND LEVEL tournament, is way tooooooo easy! The whole qualification system was going to be a fake, then FIVB put some pressure on African countries and they formally participated.

alebi

Medalist
World Champions should be guaranteed Olympic spot too with no additional requirements (I think here about Polish men team).

Worlds in Poland has been a pleasure for everybody's eyes! I also remember when, during 2013 Euros, Poland's fans were still cheering during the final matches, even if Poland was already out. Polish fans are ABSOLUTELY the best in volleyball. I can't even imagine a major tournament without Poland. It would be a real defeat for the whole sport. THESE are the important things, not the political dealings.

BTW, the World tournament is way more easy than the European one. That's why I'm so relieved that Italy didn't have to pass through it... :dance:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxzJTJNCoqA

Live stream for Men's OQT started today in Tokyo. It's showing the game of Canada vs Poland right now.

I didn't know there is a livestream! Fortunately, I could watch it in TV, but good to know for the future :) The match has ended 3-2 for Poland, I watched the last 3 sets and I'm quite dissapointed. That is not a team that would slay at Olympics :slink:

yude

Record Breaker
I didn't know there is a livestream! Fortunately, I could watch it in TV, but good to know for the future :) The match has ended 3-2 for Poland, I watched the last 3 sets and I'm quite dissapointed. That is not a team that would slay at Olympics :slink:

Good that you could watch it on TV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBWCs_V7IxE

The link I posted yesterday is not available today, but I found another one. I think we're able to find it with just searching "volleyball" on youtube (and I will do it almost everyday in this week :laugh:)

Now it's showing Canada vs Iran, Canada has won 2 sets already. So far in this tournament, Canada is stronger than I had imagined.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Good that you could watch it on TV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBWCs_V7IxE

The link I posted yesterday is not available today, but I found another one. I think we're able to find it with just searching "volleyball" on youtube (and I will do it almost everyday in this week :laugh:)

Now it's showing Canada vs Iran, Canada has won 2 sets already. So far in this tournament, Canada is stronger than I had imagined.

Yes! Today they were showing France-Poland, too! :hap10: As I thought, France is a tough opponent. I agree that Canada looks stronger than excepted. Who knows, maybe they will be suprise top3 team.

Poice

Final Flight
I still don't know how our boys manage to win with France :drama: That was a nightmare for my poor heart! Today I also watched Japan vs China and oh boy...I would never bet that Japan is going to lose with China 0:3.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I still don't know how our boys manage to win with France :drama: That was a nightmare for my poor heart! Today I also watched Japan vs China and oh boy...I would never bet that Japan is going to lose with China 0:3.

I didn't watch China-Japan but I was quite schocked at results. Did Japan played with their reserve squad or smth? Or China suddenly got so strong? Our guys need to look out for them!

Poice

Final Flight
I didn't watch China-Japan but I was quite schocked at results. Did Japan played with their reserve squad or smth? Or China suddenly got so strong? Our guys need to look out for them!

Match was quite even but China played better in block and serve.