Gilles/Poirier step sequence chosen for CD | Golden Skate

Gilles/Poirier step sequence chosen for CD

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Pattern dances are used as part of SD's and are separately competed internationally at the Novice Level.

This is like when Rahkamo and Kokko's Finnstep was made a compulsory/pattern dance.

This is very cool indeed. :cheer:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
https://www.facebook.com/1608627239...862723932173/1212460472105721/?type=1&theater I don't know what it excatly means, but I guess it's a huge honor! :hap10:

This is very huge achievement if this is true. Apparently, that's what Alla Shekhovtseva has been talking about in her long big interview, which I posted in the beginning of the season here, and which was pretty much ignored on this board for some reason.
According to her, the main GOAL of ISU when they decided to include this Partial Step Sequence in hold (PSt) instead of Not Touching Step Sequence was to give dance teams a chance to introduce their own patterns. So, I guess that's what just happened. And that was their best decision in years, I mean I like NtStSq, but it's the holds that make a dance difficult, AND it's the holds that make a dance a 'dance'.

I rewatched their PSt from Worlds, and I have to say that despite I don't like their SD as a whole, I like the construction of their Partial Step Sequence in hold. It's very well balanced, difficult turns and steps are mixed with simple turns very good, so it doesn't looks empty in places like some other teams' PSt, and dance holds are variative enough and also spread through PSt very well (while some other teams mostly skate in one of the dance hold considered for level, and do other two for like a couple of seconds just to meet the requirements).

They executed 7 difficult steps and turns each (all 6 types and one of the types twice, while only 5 types of difficult steps/turns are required for level 4): counter, rocker, double twizzle, outside mohawk, choctaw and two brackets. This is good, respectable and difficult thing to do, because ALL these steps and turns should be clean, not just 5 of them, to receive level 4.

For example, Papadakis/Cizeron, Bobrova/Soloviev and Ilinykh/Zhiganshin are only doing 5 difficult steps/turns in their PSt (5 types), which is okay for level 4. And it's easier to get level 4 this way, because they need to cleanly execute only 5 difficult steps/turns, not 7 of them.
Some teams (Stepanova/Bukin, for example) are doing 8 difficult steps/turns in their PSt, their weakness, however, is that they're mostly skate it in foxtrot hold (and variations), so not too much variety here. But it's not only about amount of difficult steps, but also about the quality of choreography, dance holds and transitional simple steps.

So I guess it's a fair decision to somehow use parts of Gilles/Poirier partial step sequence for some kind of a new pattern. I see it as some kind of rock and roll, or something like that. IMO, it dosn't fit a 'march' pattern very well.

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
This is very huge achievement if this is true. Apparently, that's what Alla Shekhovtseva has been talking about in her long big interview, which I posted in the beginning of the season here, and which was pretty much ignored on this board for some reason.
According to her, the main GOAL of ISU when they decided to include this Partial Step Sequence in hold instead of Not Touching Step Sequence was to give dance teams a chance to introduce their own patterns. So, I guess that's what just happened. And that was their best decision in years, I mean I like NtStSq, but it's the holds that make a dance difficult, AND it's the holds that make a dance a 'dance'.

I rewatched their PSt from Worlds, and I have to say that despite I don't like their SD as a whole, I like the construction of their Partial Step Sequence in hold. It's very well balanced, difficult turns and steps are mixed with simple turns very good, so it doesn't looks empty in places like some other teams' PSt, and dance holds are variative enough and also spread through PSt very well (while some other teams mostly skate in one of the dance hold considered for level, and do other two for like a couple of seconds just to meet the requirements).

They executed 7 difficult steps and turns each (all 6 types and one of the types twice, while only 5 types of difficult steps/turns are required for level 4): counter, rocker, double twizzle, outside mohawk, choctaw and two brackets. This is good, respectable and difficult thing to do, because ALL these steps and turns should be clean, not just 5 of them, to receive level 4.
For example, Papadakis/Cizeron, Bobrova/Soloviev and Ilinykh/Zhiganshin are only doing 5 difficult steps/turns in their PSt (5 types), which is okay for level 4. And it's easier to get level 4 this way, because they need to cleanly execute only 5 difficult steps/turns, not 7 of them.
Some teams (Stepanova/Bukin, for example) are doing 8 difficult steps/turns in their PSt, their weakness, however, is that they're mostly skate it in foxtrot hold (and variations), so not too much variety here. But it's not only about amount of difficult steps, but also about the quality of choreography, dance holds and transitional simple steps.

So I guess it's a fair decision to somehow use parts of Gilles/Poirier partial step sequence for some kind of a new pattern. I see it as some kind of rock and roll, or something like that. IMO, it dosn't fit 'march' pattern very well.

Rock and Roll would be cool. What I wouldn`t want though is to have again a pattern you can mix with a Waltz. Since the ISU introduced the SD, there were so many CDs that the teams could mix with a Waltz, that it feels like every other year we get a Waltz SD and it`s very boring. In that regard I`m glad they chose one of the more innovative Short Dances and not some uber traditional like Weaver/Poje`s.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Rock and Roll would be cool. What I wouldn`t want though is to have again a pattern you can mix with a Waltz. Since the ISU introduced the SD, there were so many CDs that the teams could mix with a Waltz, that it feels like every other year we get a Waltz SD and it`s very boring. In that regard I`m glad they chose one of the more innovative Short Dances and not some uber traditional like Weaver/Poje`s.

The fact that I think Weaver/Poje's SD is the best SD of the season says something about me, I guess :biggrin: I'm getting old :biggrin:

Edit: wrong smiley! :drama:

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
The fact that I think Weaver/Poje's SD is the best SD of the season says something about me, I guess :biggrin: I'm getting old :biggrin:

Edit: wrong smiley! :drama:

Lol. Well, I`m not a good judge regarding this year`s Short Dances. I hate Waltz. On and off ice :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
According to her, the main GOAL of ISU when they decided to include this Partial Step Sequence in hold (PSt) instead of Not Touching Step Sequence was to give dance teams a chance to introduce their own patterns. So, I guess that's what just happened. And that was their best decision in years, I mean I like NtStSq, but it's the holds that make a dance difficult, AND it's the holds that make a dance a 'dance'.

So I guess it's a fair decision to somehow use parts of Gilles/Poirier partial step sequence for some kind of a new pattern. I see it as some kind of rock and roll, or something like that. IMO, it dosn't fit a 'march' pattern very well.

Snow, do you mean this link you posted here in the Russian Ice Dance thread? http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...an-Ice-Dance&p=1296358&viewfull=1#post1296358

There's some translation that follows it.

Here is a video of Gilles and Poirier's Partial Step Sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX9HIORL2YA#t=02m03s

Sorry for the bad quality--this was the only one that had the music; but you get the idea.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, hooray! I'm happy for them! I really liked that Partial Step Sequence at Worlds, especially with the music it was set to. Please tell me they're going to call it the Obla-dee :biggrin:

GF2445

Record Breaker
They probably had my favourite and most original partial step.
Well, we wont have a new pattern next season (as its non touching step next season).

GF2445

Record Breaker
Yes, i can imagine their step making an excellent pattern dance- for junior level at least.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i doubt many junior teams would be able to handle its intricate design... this is interesting to me..... many seniors teams opt for simpler content :)

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Congrats and props for Gilles / Poirier! Creativity meshed with difficulty gets recognized. I do wonder how ISU want to name it, there is Finnstep so maybe Canadianstep :biggrin:

i doubt many junior teams would be able to handle its intricate design... this is interesting to me..... many seniors teams opt for simpler content :)

BTW. Your comment made me wonder ... which is the most challenging compulsory pattern in ice dancing? Does anyone know? I read that Golden Waltz is one of the most difficult.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So happy to hear this. They've had such a tough season, having to rework this SD several times. Carol Lane must be over the moon. What a recognition of her choreography. I do wonder what this pattern will be called. Maybe P squared. :biggrin: (I joke.)

Snow63 can we have you do more ice dance break downs next season? Those of us who aren't ice dance connoisseurs would love to know who's doing more work and who's doing less. ;)

Snow63

Record Breaker
Snow, do you mean this link you posted here in the Russian Ice Dance thread? http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...an-Ice-Dance&p=1296358&viewfull=1#post1296358

There's some translation that follows it.

Here is a video of Gilles and Poirier's Partial Step Sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX9HIORL2YA#t=02m03s

Sorry for the bad quality--this was the only one that had the music; but you get the idea.

Yes, it is! That's what she said about Partial Step Sequences:

Surprise us

ISU does not stop with its attempts to make Ice dance more spectacular and this is why there has been the regular attempt to give coaches and choreographers the chance to most vividly reveal their talents as choreographers and also reveal the individuality of their skaters. In particular, in the senior short dance this year there is not touching straight line step sequence. It has been replaced by the partial step sequence which enables skaters with the task to create their own original version of the pattern dance under the prescribed rhythm. The partial step sequence is a new element that was first introduced into the short dance last season will now be evaluated as a step sequence. Coaches are given complete freedom and all doors are open to them - please, create, smite, delight.
If we go back to the era of ODs, we will remember that the list of pattern dances has been expanded by the inclusion with the best, in the opinion of the ISU technical committee, ODs and we hope to revive that tradition. Currently many of the pattern dances don't match the technical level of the athletes and need "restyling". Unfortunately, at the moment only a few performances can be called successful in this respect. To reach the level of P&G's Tango romantica and K&P's Golden waltz, the psychology of the skaters and the coaches has to change. It has to be understood that the pattern dance is not just an element but a dance within a dance in substance and it has to be treated not like an element but like a complete dance composition and the main task there is to express the character of the chosen rhythm through movement.
Imagine the situation in which judges are tasked to identify the rhythm to which a given partial step sequence is set if the music is switched off. In the majority of cases this task would be impossible to complete. However, this situation probably won't present any difficulties to the judges in ballroom dance.

Edit: big thanks to Lester for the quality translation :biggrin:

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
They probably had my favourite and most original partial step.
Well, we wont have a new pattern next season (as its non touching step next season).

That's not correct. Next season there will be both Partial Step Sequence in hold AND Not Touching Step Sequence. The difference is that next season PSt will be mixed with one section of blues pattern dance (steps #5 to #14), half a circle will be original Midnight blues pattern and the other half circle will be partial step sequence in hold (of Style B*), which should be skated immediately after a section of blues.

Edit: so I guess they're aiming for improving Midnight blues pattern. Interesting :scratch2: By the way, with two step sequences next season BV of a perfect SD will sky rocket. I expect a lot of PBs and some 80+ scores.

Snow63 can we have you do more ice dance break downs next season? Those of us who aren't ice dance connoisseurs would love to know who's doing more work and who's doing less. ;)

I wish I was an expert :laugh: I'm not. Everyone can count the steps! And even see if they were executed on correct edges.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ahhh. They were desperate to get Meryl and Charlie's Olympic SD score off the world record list :laugh:

Thanks for the great translation, Snow63 and Lester.

And Congratulations to Carol Lane, Piper and Paul! Well done guys! And live, their SD was the dance of the evening for me at Worlds.

Maybe it should be the Scarborough March or Mounties March?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

There is fortunately HQ B ESP version on dailymotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40ycl7 No talking throughout that step stequence. Enjoy! :) (It's in the OP of their FanFest if anyone ever wanted to comeback to watch ;) ). And I'm with karne on the name. I really hope it will be some cool name doing the justice of this program :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Noooo! The Obla-dee! The Obla-dee!!!!!!!!!!