Kerry names Edwards vp candidate | Golden Skate

Kerry names Edwards vp candidate

Longhornliz

Final Flight
There hadnt been any dialouge about edwards being named vp candidate... I was wondering how yall felt about it. My mind hasnt been made up yet as to who my vote will go to come november, so I've been paying a lot of attention to both campaigns.

I was watching BBC world news today and they showed a sound bite from a rally in Cleveland where Kerry listed amoung the traits that made their ticket a "dream ticket" the great hair... I got a kick out of that. The foriegn press seems to be paying a lot of attention to the alleged "sex appeal" of the democratic ticket... I thought that was interesting

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I think this is a great ticket. Edwards has a lot of charisma, which will help Kerry, and I also like Edwards' politics. He's also been on the Foreign Relations Committee in the Senate, so that's fab, too. Kerry/Edwards should get a lot of respect from foreign leaders, I would think. I know a lot of Americans don't give a rat's *ss what "furners" think of us, but I think it's critical that America's leaders are regarded positively overseas.

Laura :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think it's a great match-up.......I was voting for Kerry anyway, now with Edwards on board.............42

Antilles

Medalist
My reaction was, Yay! and I'm not even American. I like Edwards, and he definitely adds much needed charisma. I read somewhere that the last two sitting(?) senators to run together were Kennedy-Johnson. I'm hoping history will repeat itself and Kerry wins.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
One can never have too much sex appeal in the White House :D :D :D Just a thought are there no sexy Republican politicians.?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Are there any sexy Republican politicians? Obviously Bush, Cheney and Ashcroft certainly don't qualify, but there are certainly people who find Arnold Schwarzenegger sexy.

Jack Ryan certainly thought he was sexy. His ex wife though otherwise.

A case could be made for Rudi Giuliani, but he has got to stop dressing up in drag at parties.

I certainly think Edwards is a better choice than Vilsack, Graham or Gephardt. I was voting for Kerry anyway, but his choosing Edwards does not cause me to reconsider that.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Longhorn Liz,

I was there for the rally in Cleveland. At least the "we've got better hair" remark was made BEFORE it started to rain! :laugh:

As an "anybody but Bush" voter, I am pleased that Kerry named Edwards his vp running mate. I especially liked the remarks I heard there (and not just from K-E) about not having an "involuntary draft." And that also applies to current military, who are being told that their active commitments (read, Iraq and Afghanistan) are being extended by two years. My son is one of those who have been involuntarily extended. Instead of having a few months left on his enlistment, he's been told he now is being held to 2 1/2 more years. And at least one of those years will be on active duty in Iraq. (he just got BACK from the theater last July. Now he's got to go back).

I should probably start another thread to rant about this, but I just can't right now.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Johio, my heart goes out to you and to your son. However, I would be weary of what Kerry is saying (this from another anyone-but-Bush voter). The truth is that Kerry is not going to pull the troops out of Iraq -- that would be too irresponsible. His answer to questions about his plan are all about farther UN involvement. IMHO this is just talk. Why would UN member states want to send their troops into Iraq now when the situation is so volatile? I know if I were a European politician today I wouldn't want to send my country's men and women there. You may like or dislike this, you may be furious, but these are the facts.

Does Kerry talk about how exactly he is going to make up for the army deficit? I know army is saying that recruitment is going well; let's take this at face value. It takes time to train new troops; doing otherwise is a recipe for disaster. Until the new troops are ready to go in, I am afraid the tours of duty will continue to get extended.

The no-more-involuntary-service statements are easy campaign promises. Hey, Bush promised the army wouldn't be involved so much in oversea operations! Unfortunately, even if these are indeed Kerry's intentions I am afraid it just won't be physically possible to keep.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Good post, Ptichka. I think that a lot of what you said is very true....sad as it maybe. It is easy for so many politicians to make big promises just before the election....but once in office, it isn't so easy or feesible to make good on those big promises. I'm thoroughly depressed about this election....there is no one I'd ever dream of voting for (yet I guess I have to choose one). JOhio2, I also feel for you. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. One of my best friends is in the national guard and was just about finished with it...and bam....he's in Iraq now. He was only one semester away from teaching in the same school as me! I felt so bad for him. But, I'm very proud of him and I do believe that they are doing something noble and for the greater good.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
It bothers me a little bit that the Army is still airing those tv spots advertising the reserves that say you can serve a few weekends a year and hold down another job.... not so much the case in times like these. But that was random and off topic sorry.

I agree that this election is like picking the lesser of 2 evils, but I felt that way in 2000 as well. I may disagree with many of Bush's decisions, and certainly his policies on domestic issues (education, abortion, gay rights).... but I'm not sure that its a good idea to "switch horses mid stream". Perhaps its in our best interests to let Bush finish what he started over in Iraq? Is that illogical?

bronxgirl

Medalist
I think the Bush -Cheney team would like you to believe that it would be illogical to switch horses as the cliche goes. I remember a different analogy - Pete Seeger wanted to sing an antiwar song on the Smothers Brothes show (yes, before your time Liz :) ), but the CBS censors went ballistic . I forget how most of the song went, but the chorus was something like "waist deep in the Big Muddy, and the big fool says to push on". Sometimes you have to know when you're waist deep..

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Liz, it's not like Kerry is going to pull the troops out of Iraq immediately. That would be rash and irresponsible, and Kerry is neither.

Personally, I think Kerry, while not ideal, is still a much stronger cadidate than Gore was 4 years ago. With Gore, I felt that he was only saying things voters wanted to hear. We still get way too much of that from Kerry, but at least I feel that he is a man of substance.

JOHIO2

Medalist
To all,

Kerry would have had my vote, with or without Edwards, and with or without my anger about the Army enlistment extensions. (Question: how will these "extensions" affect the votes of military and families? Clue: my son's immediate supervisor was set to retire and now he's extended and bound for Iraq too. He's major league pissed! Think he or his wife or his family members will be voting Bush this time? And remember, the military is very conservative and Republican. If the Bushies are counting on those votes, they'd better work harder!)

I also am angry about how the Republicans are touting the economy. Ohio has lost over 200,000 industrial jobs since Bush took office. Many of them going overseas. And the commercial is right, they are getting tax incentives for doing that. "Free" trade is not necessarily "fair" trade. OK, so I'm on disability and my daughter and son-in-law make good bucks and my son is still in college and now on his way to Iraq. I still know plenty of people who have gone from decent wages and benefits to asking, "You want fries with that?" It is a question of priorities. Jobs with living wages and health benefits, education that is fair and funded, social programs that help "the least of us" (that is a Kerry quote), rebuilding our infrastructure and our future HERE in the US. Those are the issues I care about. If that makes me a "liberal" then so be it. "Liberal" is NOT a bad word (that one's a Humphrey quote)

And while I know that Kerry can't and won't immediately pull out of Iraq, I also know that his legislative experience, especially in foreign relations, will make him a president who leads the world community, not bullies it. The Republicans have basically been against the United Nations for the past fifty years. Just who do you think managed to delay the US paying its dues and threatened to pull out? The United Nations is an extremely flawed institution. Too many small nations with horrible human rights policies and rotten economic policies and dictators &/or religious fanatics have too much power. And they stall many of the actions the UN could take to make the world better. I don't know how to fix that. But the world community is turning on us. Now WE are one of those rogue nations, doing whatever we want and listening to noone and no reason. I find that repulsive. :cry:

There is plenty more involved, but even a lifelong Democrat like me will vote for the better of two candidates and Kerry is the better of the two.