Everybody BUT Kirk (Darnit!) | Golden Skate

Everybody BUT Kirk (Darnit!)

IDLERACER

Medalist
I got off of work a little early today, and since it was rather hot here in L.A, I thought I'd cool off a little in the balcony at the rink. I was really hoping that by chance, I'd get a glimpse of Jenny Kirk.

Much to my chagrin, Frank Carroll had just about all of his star pupils out on the ice except Jenny Kirk! He was working with Evan Lysacek, while Yebin Mok and Danielle Kahle practiced their jumps and spins at the other end of the rink. I'm sure everyone reading this would've found it fascinating, but I would've preferred to see J.K.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Every time I looked up from my newspaper, it seemed that Lysacek was mostly talking with Frank., and Mok was doing alot of stretching excercises. I saw Kahle actually attempt a couple of 3/3s, but they both had wobbly landings. I was only there for about 20 minutes, then I decided I had cooled down enough and went home and got some chores done.

:rolleye:
To tell you the truth, after awhile, one starts to feel a bit like a geek, sitting up there with all the skater's mothers. There was a hockey game going on in the other rink, and although it doesn't really interest me, I didn't feel as geeky, when I turned and faced in that direction. I'm sure if I were female, I wouldn't feel like that, but I'm not.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Next time you go, take a reporters notebook with you so it appears you are a member of the press. Then you wont feel geeky, and if you are noticed by Frank or one of his pupils maybe they will skate extra well.

Just an idea.... please keep going, I would love to keep watching them skate vicariously through you.

ouridol

On the Ice
Yeah same here!! Thats awesome you got to see all those skaters. I'm sure you might see Jenny next time. Tell me how evan, ye bin, and dani are doing, ok? And you can carry a notebook with you, like someone else said :)

IDLERACER

Medalist
Is there no one else in these forums who is occasionally home on a week day, and lives within driving distance of LAX? Show up at the rink any time between 10:00 and 5:00 and your apt to see something or other going on. And if you're female, it won't be nearly as akward. You might even get to strike up a conversation with Timothy Goebel's mom or something. If I got into someone's face like that, they'd think I was a stalker, but when you're female, it's much easier to approach people.
;)

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'm bumping this back up to the top, because it was over 100º in the shade today, so I went to the rink to cool off (I got off a little early from work). Like the last time, Frank was working with Lysacek while Mok practiced her double axel (landing it more times than not). This time I arrived just as Danielle Kahle, her mother, and two younger siblings were leaving. Also on the rink was a familiar looking tall skinny guy with dark wavy hair. I'm sure the women in this forum would've recognized him. He appeared to be in much better shape than the other two.

Also sitting in the observation area was this little girl about 13 in skates who looked like she was waiting for something. Frank Carroll suddenly came in, pointed at her and said "Maggie...I want you to get on the ice now, and work with this class." The look on her face was priceless. "You want me on the ice with them!?" Obviously, the little girl was about to graduate from a mid-level class into the big time.

What was really interesting, however, was what was going on in the other rink. I was absolutely amazed at all the unknown little girls who appeared to be 12 years old or less, practicing all these incredible spins. This one little asian girl went from a sitspin up into a Bielmann that was right up there with Naomi Nari-Nam at her peak. Any future stars are definitely going to be emerging from either this rink, or the one in lake arrowhead.

Megi

Rinkside
Thanks for the great reports. Keep them coming :)

Also, I have a question. Did Evan Lysacek worked on any programs? I'm curious to know what the music for his new programs would be.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Nobody was working on any programs. It was all stretching exercises and working on specific elements.

gezando

Final Flight
Idleracer, when I saw the thread title, I thought you are wishing for everyone but Kirk to win nationals 2005. Kind of flash back to the anyone but ... threads prior to 2003 nationals.

Kirk is a sweet heart, I had a chance to talk to her at SA. Please keep returning to Health South and give us reports, thanks.