Are you willing to bet on E. Medvedeva? | Golden Skate

Are you willing to bet on E. Medvedeva?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Will she repeat next year barring injury with a growth spurt or more weight?

Do you think she deserves the best ever scores?

Is she already equal to Yuna Kim's pcs?

Will she win the Olympics?

I think she has a great chance to repeat and if she is Wc champion 2017 she goes to Korea with lots of cred and gravitas with judges.

Only one question. Will Korea applaud the Russian ladies after their upset at Yuna winning silver? I'd like to hear from the Korean fans on board how they feel the Usually very nice Korean Audiences will respond to Russian dominance now in ladies- a fair question yes?

And lastly who is her biggest competition amongst the Russian ladies right now? Who can steal her thunder? And stop the tanoing please Evgenia even though I kinda love her already!!!

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Question 1: you really can't ever be sure.

Question 2: close, but not quite.

Question 3: no.

Question 4: too far out to tell. It looks likely, but then again, didn't everyone think Kaetlyn Ohashi was bound to win in Rio? (My attempt at a gymnastics reference :laugh2:)

Question 5: I think it depends on the fan. Most of them will probably react based on how they like the skater who is dominant at the time. Some of the more extreme Yuna fans will probably not, but let's not rehash that.

Question 6: a perfect comeback from Yulia or Adelina, or Elena with better programs. (If she were to skate clean and channel her charisma properly with good programs, there's no telling what kind of scores the judges would give her.)

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
From what I can tell, those who are the most vitriolic against Sotnikova (are there even any examples of any Yuna fans going out of their way to hate on the other Russian girls just because of Sochi?) are content to hide behind the anonymity of the internet. I think that the average South Korean has pretty much moved on and I highly doubt they even follow figure skating that closely now.

I don't really understand this whole preoccupation with "how will Koreans REACT to russian skaters!" that continues to crop up in this forum when there hasn't been any evidence of Korean audiences being disrespectful to Russian skaters. Yuna did invite Volosozhar and Trankov right after Sochi when the controversy was at its highest and if any fans or even media was in any way rude or pushy with questions about Sochi with them, I haven't heard of it. I'm sure that if they felt mistreated they, especially the outspoken Trankov, would have said something.

Elena Radionova was also invited to this years "All That Skate". If the organizers thought that Korean audiences would be outraged that a female Russian skater that could possibly be in the Olympic team is performing they would not have done so. It's a pretty bold move for ATS to invite a female Russian skater at a time when Yuna is not even in the show. And yes, if you watched fan cams you could see that the audience was clapping at her performance. Also she was asked to sign autographs and possibly even got gifts. A Yuna fan club set up a coffee truck to serve the skaters and crew free drinks and snacks outside the rink and did not put up a sign saying "Do not serve Russians". She took a photo with Yuna and posted it in social media, so we know she wasn't in fear of her life in South Korea.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am prepared to bank on Evgenia. Unlike some other Russian wonderbabies that have been hyped to the gills in recent years, Evgenia has a good, solid jump technique, and already has a certain shapeliness to her form. She also seems quite unshakeable. But we'll see. It's a long time to the Olympics still. But a team of Liza, Evgenia and Adelina at full strength - wow! That would be really something.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Only one question. Will Korea applaud the Russian ladies after their upset at Yuna winning silver? I'd like to hear from the Korean fans on board how they feel the Usually very nice Korean Audiences will respond to Russian dominance now in ladies- a fair question yes?

I don't understand your obsession with comparing Yuna, who no longer competes, with Evgenia.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I am prepared to bank on Evgenia. Unlike some other Russian wonderbabies that have been hyped to the gills in recent years, Evgenia has a good, solid jump technique, and already has a certain shapeliness to her form. She also seems quite unshakeable. But we'll see. It's a long time to the Olympics still. But a team of Liza, Evgenia and Adelina at full strength - wow! That would be really something.

I think if Anna could build on what she did at Worlds she could also be a strong contender at Olympics. She has a really wonderful presence on the ice and when her jumps are on she looks quite impressive. I would really like to bet all on Evgenia because I think out of all of them she is the most complete skater in terms of mental toughness/competitiveness, technical arsenal, and artistic expression but I though the same of Yulia Lipnitskaya so want to be a bit cautious here.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I think Adelina will have a tough time competing on tech with the numerous up-and-coming women in Russia. Liza is strong enough technically to keep up, and obviously Evgenia will be in good shape if she can maintain her form.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'm willing to bet on Anna Pogorilaya making the next Olympics and that's about it, I'm not much of a risk taker and I need to see more consistency in order to put my eggs in her basket after one (admittedly wonderful) season

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Evgenia looks very promising to repeat right now; she's skating with the aura of a World Champion. But few predicted Liza's follow up to her WC year. I think Evgenia already is much more accomplished than Liza artistically; and I tend to think her technique will hold up.

No. I feel the judges were dazzled by the cumulative effect of her spectacular wins over the course of the season, and they raised her scores.

No.

The Olympics have historically proven to be quite unpredictable two years or even one year ahead. Also, think about what people predicted all year for 2016 Worlds, right up until the event. Just keeping it to the Ladies, far more predicted Gracie to break the US medal drought than thought Ashley had a chance; Satoko looked way likely to medal; Anna looked way likely to fall spectacularly. Expanding to the men, you could hardly find anyone, after 2015 GPF, who thought Javier had a chance of winning Worlds again over Yuzuru.

Only one question. Will Korea applaud the Russian ladies after their upset at Yuna winning silver? I'd like to hear from the Korean fans on board how they feel the Usually very nice Korean Audiences will respond to Russian dominance now in ladies-

No idea.

And lastly who is her biggest competition amongst the Russian ladies right now? Who can steal her thunder? And stop the tanoing please Evgenia even though I kinda love her already!!!

Right now, it looks like Anna is. That could change. Elena could be past her growth spurt and could, if she wants, tame her arms and artistry, to take a step nearer. Julia seems like a really interesting wild card; I'm looking forward to seeing what a year with Urbanov will accomplish.

I'd like to see the judges reconsider whether so many tanos should be racking up the points. My opinion is that it should make a difference if the arm variation really makes sense artistically with the whole program. To me, Evgenia looks like she's just flinging her arm over her head. As opposed to, for instance, watch Adam Rippon's FS and notice how his tano 3Lz (the one in combination with 2T and 2Loop) circles so beautifully with the music, and how that arm feature is pre-echoed in the program. It's really gorgeous, and moving.

noskates

Record Breaker
ill she repeat next year barring injury with a growth spurt or more weight?
I would be very surprised if she repeats next year. There was no pressure this year and we know how that's effected skaters in the past. Can't say about a growth spurt.

No I don't.

If she is, IMO she shouldn't be. Yuna Kim was far more graceful and was the whole package. I think Evgenia is very technical but her skating isn't nearly as polished.

I don't think she'll win the Olympics. With the strength of women skaters right now I think it's going to be whoever skates the best. And that could be any of them

Sadly, who knows about other countries. I would like to think that any country would applaud a good skate - no matter who skates it or what country they're from. I believe that's called good sportsmanship

This may be heresy, but I would dearly love Lip to come back and smoke them all

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't understand your obsession with comparing Yuna, who no longer competes, with Evgenia.

I'm hardly obsessed. I just think Evgenia may be the girl who will dominate. She is so young and in her first senior season she won the WC! This girl broke Yunas highest score. We are simply discussing and prognosticating. We should be free to discuss and guess and have fun as long as it isn't gossip. And no one should be touchy unless they are the mom of skater x and something cruel has been said. I think aevgenia could last. I think she has a cool head and we have seen how it isn't always the best all around skater who wins but the truly consistent. I think Evgenia is a comet. Katarina Witt was the coolest competitor. And because she dominated all those years she is a legend. Michelle Kwan was the next young superstar with longevity. Then we saw the girl from Korea who was just unfazed in competition. Under IJS we have had one female superstar who won everything and could put it down when it counted. A gold and a silver at the Olympics. A comeback world championship.

It's simply fun to wonder if the next supernova in skating as far as ladies goes is Evgenia. I never pick on posters or challenge their thoughts. I guess I am older and sport is fun. And skating boards should be fun and open. Sometimes they are not. Because it is a business. But as long as we do no real harm what is wrong with asking could Evgenia have longevity and win it all like a Yuna Kim? I see the same fire to excel and to win in her. And I do wonder if the behind the scenes politics in Korea might result in a bit of a back lash for the Russian singles skaters- not a pair invited to do a show- but the Olympic Games when the host country is always deferred to in many ways- sometimes medals.

I have not been in any vitriolic threads about the Sochi results. But let us not be naive that the Korean FSU was angry and filed a complaint I think over the results or at least started to. In Sochi the audience was not warm to foreign skaters. But Korean audiences at the ATS shows seem very welcoming- at shows to foriegn skaters. Skating is highly political and has anonymous judging. There have been many skating scandals and resulted fought over since is is a judged sport. Sochi Ladies event was one such result issue. Yes it seems like the Yuna users are not here but there will be some strong Korean skaters - maybe possible medal hopes- I just ask what the opinion of Korean fans is now about how Evgenia or possibly Adelina if she makes the team might be received.

It is simply discussion and it is boring if we fear the tough questions. Conversation like food is much better with spice.

If only the most edited thoughts fearfully concocted and fearing to say anything not pc correct or controversial is the staple on a board then what is the point? Everyone cannot write perfectly and choose words with a thesaurus. Let us have fun and realize that we are not the skaters in the heat of all the battles but just fans entertaining ourselves esp in off season with what may be or what is to come?

Nothing wrong with that. I like TSL for example because they do ask guests the questions we want answers to to use a current online skating program as an example. Though even they don't dare ask Michelle Kwan why she really dumped Frank and Lori. Lots of people won't post here because they get attacked or censored and it is likely no different many places. I think we who support Goldenskate by starting little threads really enjoy the forum and most respect everyone's opinions.

I'm not obsessed with any skater but truly love the USA ladies- of course there is bias. But if someone slams Ashley for say- " ott facial expressions." I disagree but hey I don't jump on a poster. My life has super heavy issues. Life is hard. Very hard. Skating is a sport and all aspects of it should be enjoyable.

I never thought we might see another skater who captured IJS judges so consistently as Yuna. I merely ask can this Evgenia be someone who might have a career like her? She is special even among many very talented Russian girls. The superstars are coming fast and furious these days from Russia. It is a new phenomenon which has me fascinated.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Evgenia apparently has an overly talkative grandmother who mentioned that Evgenia has endocrine problems of some sort. This makes it that much harder to predict what would or wouldn't happen to her.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm willing to bet on Anna Pogorilaya making the next Olympics and that's about it, I'm not much of a risk taker and I need to see more consistency in order to put my eggs in her basket after one (admittedly wonderful) season

I think Anna is amazing but I see very little emotion or expression. Scott Hamilton always said. Comp or exhibition get the crowd on their feet.
I like Anna's skating and she's stunning. I like her dresses. But she leaves me cold. Her skating is to be watched and admired. So far she doesn't draw me in the way Julia did or zhenya who seems so fresh at every skate. But a lot must be said for Anna. If she perhaps chooses music and choreography that lets her personality show maybe people - and judges are people -will like her more. It's so subjective- who ever knows what will grab us and make us really pay attention. She is already a world bronze medalist. She's surely in the top of the mix.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't like betting but I think Zhenia is a pretty good bet next year. Heck....she'll probably do better than most of my favorite skaters but oh well.....that girl is really really good! Nothing wrong with losing to someone who skates like that. Doesn't change anything for me.

creaturelover

On the Ice
Elena Radionova was also invited to this years "All That Skate". If the organizers thought that Korean audiences would be outraged that a female Russian skater that could possibly be in the Olympic team is performing they would not have done so. It's a pretty bold move for ATS to invite a female Russian skater at a time when Yuna is not even in the show. And yes, if you watched fan cams you could see that the audience was clapping at her performance. Also she was asked to sign autographs and possibly even got gifts. A Yuna fan club set up a coffee truck to serve the skaters and crew free drinks and snacks outside the rink and did not put up a sign saying "Do not serve Russians". She took a photo with Yuna and posted it in social media, so we know she wasn't in fear of her life in South Korea.
From what I have heard Koreans were very well receiving of Elena

As for Evgenia... I will see what next season has in store

Last edited:

Lipea

Final Flight

I think she has a great chance to repeat and if she is Wc champion 2017 she goes to Korea with lots of cred and gravitas with judges.

1. She is obviously super hungry and goal-oriented for Olympic gold, and with her amazing will and capability of outstandingly hard work (like Yuna's I guess) she should be able to overcome the difficulties.
2. Technically - probably yes, but overall - objectively, no.
3. Surely no.
4. She has currently the highest chances, but this is at the moment unpredictable. Too many candidates.
5. Yes, she needs to win next Worlds or at least medal.
6. It looks like it is most likely will be the Russian lady to win OG in Korea. True Korean FS fans will be happy for any fair win. But the majority, like majority of Russians in Sochi, will be angry because of the patriotic butthurt. That's just how it is in any sport.
7. Most likely someone not from a current senior field. Probably not Radionova (she has never had nice jumps with beautiful landings and always had posture issues); could be Pogorilaya, could be Tuktamysheva. Def. not Adelina nor Yulia; they have never, even during their height - 2014 Olympic season - been quite on that level of difficulty+stability as Evgenia showed this season. Doubtly Sotskova - not enough of advantage sides over Evgenia. The most obvious competition for Evgenia - her teammate Polina Tsurskaya. Here Evgenia's stregths cannot really win over the monster-talent jumper Polina if the latest has no injury or other issues. Potentially it could be also one of the Russian starting juniors: Konstantinova, Lozko, etc. - but it all depends how they improve during next season. I also have hopes on Serafima to have as strong comeback as Liza Tuk last season, but the chances are rather slim.

Last edited: