Are you willing to bet on E. Medvedeva? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Are you willing to bet on E. Medvedeva?

Pracygr

On the Ice
Is she already equal to Yuna Kim's pcs?
PCS comparisons on public forums (especially those involving Yuna Kim) are bound to become popularity contests at some point, but if Wagner transitions, skating skills, choreography are already there contending Yuna Kim's, then Medvedeva certainly deserves to lag 2.5 points behind.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Endocrine problems are not ever good, overly fast metabolisms can cause backlash on your body in the future with your metabolism slowing to a turtle speed! Fast metabolisms due to endocrine disorders can also case havok in your body if you don't eat right, they suck protien from your muscles and calcium from your bones. While hers might be mild, you never know what could strike.

I've lived this stuff, it can seem cool but there comes a point where it is very negative.
All true, but a slow metabolism isn't great to start with either. Especially when you're an athlete. And it can go in both directions and some never have any serious problems. As long as it's diagnosed and treated correctly it's something you can live with. My mum had her thyroid removed over 30 years ago and she has to take medication ever since. It's not always easy to get the dosage right, she had some minor issues (too high dosage: aggression, unrest, wet hands; low dosage: lack of motivation) with it during all those years but she's doing fine. It would be rather easy for her to just use a slightly higher dosage if she wants to lose weight, but she's never doing that because she doesn't feel well if she does. So she working out and she's trying to eat healthy.
But I know a (ex-)model who had a hard time getting her hashimoto syndrome diagnosed, she gained about 30 pounds within 6 months. She was a mess and I still feel for her, she had a hard time.
But I'm digressing - there are some people, especially young people who have a fast metabolism and are perfectly healthy. Evgenia seems to have a fast metabolism and we don't know what's causing it. I'm not overly concerned about her health, I'm sure she's in good hands.

desertskates

Medalist
I'll think she'll be a force to reckon with for a long time to come, especially if she defends her world title next year. Her jumps are so consistently sound that I can't see a few pounds messing with her ability to land them. And she's very musical. The polish and refinement will come with time. I think her biggest threat will be Tsurskaya.

Crazy27

Rinkside
Medvedeva will go on. Her adult character for 16 old is something and this is important what u you need to know about it. Tsurskaya not be able to make it a competition, she is too high, and growing up and injury will make bad service.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Medvedeva will go on. Her adult character for 16 old is something and this is important what u you need to know about it. Tsurskaya not be able to make it a competition, she is too high, and growing up and injury will make bad service.

Do you mean she is too tall already? How tall is she?

SXTN

Final Flight
Evgenia has a good, solid jump technique, and already has a certain shapeliness to her form. She also seems quite unshakeable. But we'll see. It's a long time to the Olympics still. But a team of Liza, Evgenia and Adelina at full strength - wow! That would be really something.

She doe not have a good jump technique. It is only solid. Solid because she has not filled out yet so she can rotate easily. Her toe jumps are weak: Flutz, toe picks questionable (almost "hammer toe"), 3/4 turn prerotation! Her axel is the weakest in the field of top ladies.

dreamsk8

On the Ice
My answers to:
Q#1 You can never be sure of anything in figure skating :scratch3:
Q#2 You can't say anyone deserves the best score until they prove it on the ice every time:roll5:
Q#3 no:think:
Q#4 You'd need a crystal ball to have the answer to that one. But just remember Yulia Lipnitskaya hype going into the Sochi Games and she finished 5th:popcorn:
Q#5 I think the fans will be very respectful of every skater regardless of nationality:agree2:
Q#6 Elena Radionova I think:cheer:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Do you mean she is too tall already? How tall is she?
168 cm according to the latest available data. This is already pretty tall for a female skater, but so far it hasn't interfered with her jumps. She comes from a very tall family though (her brother is 2 m tall, for example) so she can easily grow to 180 cm or so - which would be rather tall even for a male singles skater.

ETA: Polina with her parents:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CctQEo6UAAAzYMv.jpg

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
168 cm according to the latest available data. This is already pretty tall for a female skater, but so far it hasn't interfered with her jumps. She comes from a very tall family though (her brother is 2 m tall, for example) so she can easily grow to 180 cm or so - which would be rather tall even for a male singles skater.

ETA: Polina with her parents:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CctQEo6UAAAzYMv.jpg

I believe someone brought up an article a while ago that stated that she's 173 cm now! That's much taller than even Carolina Kostner!:shocked:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
And yet she looks tiny compared to her parents :eek: I wonder whether they were advised to try basketball instead when they first brought her to the rink :scratch3: Seriously, if she keeps her jumps at that kind of height it would be a truly unique case.

Last edited:

hugo

On the Ice
I believe someone brought up an article a while ago that stated that she's 173 cm now! That's much taller than even Carolina Kostner!:shocked:
she's 170 cm and stopped to grow (as she said recently)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes but Carolina floats across the ice like a gossamer butterfly. We need more statuesque skaters. None of the wunderkind has ever presented an sp like Ave Maria that floored the judges. As Kurt said it was absolutely Olympic.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Will she repeat next year barring injury with a growth spurt or more weight?

I think it's very likely.

Do you think she deserves the best ever scores?

Nah.... Not yet, anyway. But I have to say, I thought her reaction to her world record freeskate score where she fanned herself with her mouth wide open into a smile was the cutest thing ever. :yes:

Is she already equal to Yuna Kim's pcs?

I agree with others who say they are of a different generation, so the comparison isn't very fair.

Will she win the Olympics?

No, Ashley is going to win the Olympics. :biggrin:

Will Korea applaud the Russian ladies after their upset at Yuna winning silver?

Of course. I feel like the most vicious backlash against Adelina wasn't created by true figure skating fans of Korea, rather, it was more of a nationalistic pride for Yuna that went totally out of control. Were people right to be upset? Yes, of course, I personally didn't agree with the results myself, however, the blatant trashing of the entire life of an innocent teenage girl who didn't do anything wrong (Adelina) - she just showed up, skated her best, and her fate was in the judges hands - was just disgusting.

And lastly who is her biggest competition amongst the Russian ladies right now? Who can steal her thunder?

All of them! Anna, Elena, Yulia, Liza, and Polina T. Long live the Russian ladies bloodbath!

Last edited:

Spiral

Final Flight
She doe not have a good jump technique. It is only solid. Solid because she has not filled out yet so she can rotate easily. Her toe jumps are weak: Flutz, toe picks questionable (almost "hammer toe"), 3/4 turn prerotation! Her axel is the weakest in the field of top ladies.
If that were the case, how come she didn't receive a call about a questionable edge on the Lutz or any deductions for underrotating anything at either SA, or COR, or Euros, or Worlds?

Yes but Carolina floats across the ice like a gossamer butterfly. We need more statuesque skaters. None of the wunderkind has ever presented an sp like Ave Maria that floored the judges. As Kurt said it was absolutely Olympic.
I enjoyed Costner's Ave Maria, but I found Medvedeva's SP and Lipnitskaya's Don't Give Up On Love and Megapolis no less aesthetically pleasing.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ack, I just realized that I forgot to mention Maria Sotskova up there! She could be a surprise spoiler. :yes:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Well yes Carolina does float across the ice like a gosamer butterfuly that sometimes, unfortunately, gets a bet sweaty and wet and starts crashing to the ice like those clay pigeons that are used for target practice.

andromache

Record Breaker
I really grew to love Evgenia over the course of this season. At first I was irked to see yet another consistent Russian teenager dominating over the older ladies (who I usually prefer, simply because they've been around longer and given me more time to love them), but that LP really turned out to be a masterpiece. She became more and more expressive during the season, really embodying the story of her program and telling it.

I find her general artistry (aesthetic quality of movement, music connection, execution of choreography, etc) to be superior to most of the other Russian ladies. Only Yulia and Adelina can, at this point, compete with her regarding who in Russia is the best in that regard.

Her jumps may falter depending on how she fills out. Her technique isn't super strong. I wouldn't bet on her for next season necessarily, but I wouldn't bet against her either. (Can I abstain from betting? :p)

It's so unpredictable. Liza, who was already basically finished with puberty during her success season, was a disaster this season. This time last year, I would've 100% bet on her to win another world medal, or even to repeat as World Champion. But anything can happen!

I hope Evgenia is successful, but I also hope another contender or two arises. I hate seeing predictable competitions where it's so easy to predict the winner! If Evgenia struggles, then I wish her the best in coping with it and overcoming it. Her performance quality is already quite stunning, and I'm excited to see her continue to improve.

Also, comparing skaters and scores of different generations is ridiculous. Like, can we not? Scores have inflated for everyone in comparison to 2010, and even in comparison to 2014. It's not even possible to compare scores across competitions, really. Does Evgenia deserve the PCS she gets? She does for the competitions and season in which she competes.

I'm also tired of seeing every young or upcoming skater assumed to have/deserve trash PCS in comparison to Yuna/Mao/Carolina. In 1996 did everyone complain about 16 year old Michelle Kwan receiving artistic scores comparable to 20 year old Lu Chen's? Young skaters can create great moments on ice as good as the veterans can.