Are you willing to bet on E. Medvedeva? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Are you willing to bet on E. Medvedeva?

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
For the Olympic gold medal, it's too soon to predict, but she CERTAINLY has made a statement that she wants to be the best, and she intends on fighting for what she wants.
Also, to me, her top competitors seem to be the likes of Polina Tsurskaya and Grace Gold (non-headcase, lol). I don't say this with bias; I'm just basing this off of pure jump technique and previous judging. I don't mean to throw other skaters out of the mix, as I think Wagner and Miyahara will also throw everything they have at the judges in 2018. I can't wait to see what will happen!!
She is in the leading position on the way to 2018 Olympics, but considering the changing scoring system and some unpredictable factors, like puberty, mental strength and accumulating pressure before the Games, anything can happen. In sports field, being chased and trying to remain on top is always much more difficult than striving to catch up. Don't forget some other very talented Japanese young ladies, who will be able to spring a surprise sometime in the near future.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't want to bet on Med winning OGM or even being at the next olympics but you never know. The world of skating in Russi is so unpredictable. Will ET come back yet again. Will Lip show herself as a woman skater and regain her form. Will Adelina show her maturity and performance skills while regaining her jumps. Is Leonova finished. Will Rad regain her form and power. Will Pog's bronze lead her to gain confidence and domination. Will a junior rise up? Who will puberty strike next is going to be a h uge factor.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wouldn't want to bet on Med winning OGM or even being at the next olympics but you never know. The world of skating in Russi is so unpredictable. Will ET come back yet again. Will Lip show herself as a woman skater and regain her form. Will Adelina show her maturity and performance skills while regaining her jumps. Is Leonova finished. Will Rad regain her form and power. Will Pog's bronze lead her to gain confidence and domination. Will a junior rise up? Who will puberty strike next is going to be a h uge factor.

Leonova´s latest participation in Worlds was in 2013 and she landed there on place 13. Of course surprises can happen, but I would be extremely surprised if we are going to see her skating at Worlds again. There just are too many competitors in Russian ladies discipline. She seems to have GP events though (not a Russia host pick) as she is on place 20 on ISU ranking (or standing?) list.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Leonova's WR will decline if she doesn't medal in her GP assignments and isn't given an ISU Championship assignment. She has shown that she can medal at B and Challenge events, but the maximum counted is four B or Challenge events over a two-year period, so the most points she could muster that way is 1000 (4x250) for Bs or 1200 (4x300) for Challenges. The record shows that she was sent to two Challenge events and two GPs each in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016, and two B events in 2015-2016.

In 2014-2015 she finished 2nd in one GP event and 6th in another for a total of 596 points. She finished 2nd (270) and 4th (190) in her two Challenge events for a total of 489 points. Her total points for 2014-2015 was 1085, reduced to 70% of its value to 759.

In 2015-2016 she was 8th in both GP events for a total of 382 points. She finished 2nd (270) and 4th (190) in her two Challenge events for a total of 489 points and 1st (250) and 2nd (225) in two B events. Because the WR system allows only the two highest scores from international events per year, her total was 270+250 = 520. Her total points for 2015-2016 was 902.

As it is unlikely Alena will ever be sent to an ISU Championship, she probably can't accumulate much over 1000 WR points per year, which means that skaters lower on the list who have more potential point earning power (Chartrand, Asada, Higuchi, Choi, Sakhanovich) are likely to pass her and knock her out of the top 24 by next season.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I personally don't like Evgenia's skating much at all and I really hope she gets better choreography but I really think she is here to stay. Her technique seems reliable and she is one of the best competitors we've seen in a while in terms of mental IMO.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm always willing to make an avatar for a week bet! Hit me up.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
At this point in the Olympic cycle I wouldn't bet on anyone.

That said, I wouldn't bet against her!

andyjo24

Medalist
Oh my god! Did everyone see Evgenia"s sailor moon program? She filled out a lot all of a sudden and is struggling with her jumps!!

andyjo24

Medalist
Yes, but wow. I am just shocked how much she matured in just 3 months... She is a woman now! And I can see her jumping technique not helping her now (especially with the 3toe. she really has to muscle it out and it looked UR).... Wow....:eeking:

Yes, this is an ice show, but this is the girl that did 3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3..... like 2 months ago.

I hope she can hang in there next season, but I'm afraid we're going to see Yulia #2...:(

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not going to jump to conclusions about Zhenia's future but Liza won the WC after a very dominant season and then put on some stinker summer exhibitions. So I wouldn't say it's completely irrelevant to make note of such things although I'm much more concerned with how cheesy and uncomfortable the program made me feel. Do I need to watch it again or was it really kind of a dud?

JuliaHols

On the Ice
I'm not going to jump to conclusions about Zhenia's future but Liza won the WC after a very dominant season and then put on some stinker summer exhibitions. So I wouldn't say it's completely irrelevant to make note of such things although I'm much more concerned with how cheesy and uncomfortable the program made me feel. Do I need to watch it again or was it really kind of a dud?
I thought her exhibition was lovely, yes the jumps were iffy but i like sailor moon and clearly, she enjoys the program too

Spiral

Final Flight
Yes, but wow. I am just shocked how much she matured in just 3 months... She is a woman now! And I can see her jumping technique not helping her now (especially with the 3toe. she really has to muscle it out and it looked UR).... Wow....:eeking:

Yes, this is an ice show, but this is the girl that did 3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3..... like 2 months ago.

I hope she can hang in there next season, but I'm afraid we're going to see Yulia #2...:(

Two months ago she was in top shape, soon after the Worlds. Then she took a vacation and is now doing shows. Two months without regular training would would certainly take an effect on what a skater can do; that's why they need to get back in shape once the new season starts. You're comparing her shape at the peak of the season with her shape at the peak of the off-season. Even in test skates skaters sometimes don't skate their programs with all the jumps, because it's way too early. This year Russian test skates are around September 10-11, while Evgenia's first serious competition is Skate Canada on October 28-30. Considering that the most important competion of the season is in March, there's probably no good reason for Evgenia to get into top competitive shape too early and then keep herself in such a condition for over half a year. Not that I haven't seen skaters do poorly at their first GPs, compared to their usual form and status, and then rebound fantastically as the season progresses. Or do poorly in a particular season due to puberty issues and then do very well the next year. So I'm afraid there's no point speculating who'll have a chance to win Worlds till the spring and who'll have a chance to win OGM till next winter :).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I saw a gif of a triple loop-triple toe and apart from the toe landing a bit forward - hardly unusual for a show under spotlights - both jumps looked pretty good. Much ado about nothing.

Also, video? There is video? Must see!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So I'm afraid there's no point speculating who'll have a chance to win Worlds till the spring and who'll have a chance to win OGM till next winter :).

Umm.....isn't that the point of GoldenSkate........especially in the offseason. ;). Anyways....sometimes I have thoughts like this and figure the best way to rid myself of the demon is to just blurt it out. To heck with the drama I may cause! :devil: