Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Covering up/recovering from mistakes

Question Covering up/recovering from mistakes

This question came up obliquely on the Sasha thread. Which skaters do you think are best/worst at recovering from spills and stumbles?

IMO two of the best are Scott Hamilton and Michelle Kwan. As a pro, Scott is the master at playing off flubs as part of the act, or failing that, at least at getting the audience to laugh with him instead of at him.

Michelle is one of the few skaters who can make a bad mistake and still pop right up and recapture the audience with her next move.

I would say Angela Nikodinov in the opposite camp. She starts out exquisitely until about the 2:30 mark, but once she makes a small error, like doubling an intended triple, all the air seems to go out of her balloon and she just looks miserable.

Mathman

Scott and Michelle pop up smiling, that's for sure and rarely let mistakes effect the rest of their performances. Kristi is another performer who doesn't let a mistake mar her skating. Kurt Browning is a master of incorporating mistakes into his routine. I really appreciate that in an athlete. I realize not everyone can do that........As much as I love Paul's skating, he often let mistakes early on effect his landing jumps, often doubling triples.......he did improve as a pro, I must say that much for him........There's a difference in going after the jumps and just letting them be doubles. I've seen Sasha go after triple jumps after a fall, but when Angela makes a mistake, she gives up and doubles everthing left in her program..............42

Custom Title
    I would definitely include Alexei Yagudin, that was one of the things that made him such a fantastic competitor. Already back in 1997 or 1998 I remember listening to Boitano's comments saying exactly that, how he didn't let the mistakes disturb him. He won Worlds in Nice, but with quite a few minor flaws and a fall in his Tosca LP, but you didn't notice how disappointed he was until he finished it. And the season he used Gladiator, it wasn't a good one for him... he could mess up both quads and it didn't affect him at all. Many times the program grew stronger and stronger and ind the end you completely forgot about the mistakes in the beginning! Sorry, having flashbacks of Europeans in Bratislava...

Kurt Browning is a master of incorporating mistakes into his routine. I really appreciate that in an athlete.
    I agree... the only times it didn't were at the 92 and 94 Olys... especially that 94 oly SP... but he redeemed himself during the LP... Kurt at his finest!

Custom Title
    Kurt and Michelle are great at covering up mistakes, but I also felt Tara Lipinski wasn't bad either. There were several instances where she had mistakes earlier in her programs, yet she managed to put these out of her mind and almost always finished strongly. Nicole Bobek was a wreak after the first mistake...usually. She did hold it together at the 1995 U.S. Nationals after touching down on her split - 3t. But, I was so sad to see her implode at the 1995 Worlds! She was rolling....with that 3flz/3t, 3flz, and then two hideous mistakes! She was either clean or a train wreak, there was hardly an in between for her.

Custom Title
    One of Anton's and Elena's performances of "The Kid" (I think that's what they called it) is a great example. Anyway, she supposed to do some kind of "flip over," but she fell. They both played it off immediately, so that if you hadn't seen the program you would think it was supposed to happen.

Medalist
    I will agree with those who have said Michelle Kwan and Kristi Y. for being the best at recovering after stumbles and the worst being Angela N. and Nicole B.

Skating Freak Barbie
    I remember hearing, or reading, somewhere that Alexei yagudin said. I can't remember the quote, but to paraphrase, if you carry a mistake with you for more than two seconds, you are in trouble. You mess up or fall, leave it on the ice and move on. I think that attitude helped him to recover after mistakes. Michelle Kwan, Kristi Y., Scott Hamilton (as a pro) and Kurt Browning are all good examples of that as well. Ilia Kulik, he's another one to not get rattled by something, but just move past it. We've seen Evgeny Plushenko go both ways; but I think, for the most part, he can shake off a mistake as well. Mike Weiss is another who can go either way with mistakes...but I think unfortunately, one can lead to another more often for him. Angela N. and Nicole Bobek are both such examples of the opposite, of one mistake taking over the rest of the program. I think most of the time, Maria Butyrskaya would fall into that category as well. It's a shame, because all three could be such charismatic skaters.

Kasey

Custom Title
    Emanuel Sandhu is another that falls apart after an error. You can see the body language change completely and you know he may as well leave the ice immediately.

In the void
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8tngcanuck
    Emanuel Sandhu is another that falls apart after an error. You can see the body language change completely and you know he may as well leave the ice immediately.
    Might be true in competition - but I saw him fall in an exhibition (nearly right before me btw *g*) - and he got up grinning...... Was quite funny

It's kinda relative question. A fall can hurt and stun and could be difficult to get up for any skater. Hongbo in Dortmund took a while to get himself together.after that spill in the SP. Catching an edge is rather minor and can often be covered up easily.. However, Anton S. in SLC recovered quickly but took a long time to get back into the rythym of the music.

I think these unfortunate occurrences should be looked upon as they are in any other Sport. A diver who slips on the Board or dives too close to the platform and hits his head, pays the price regardless. Gymnastics, a fall off the beam takes its toll; a skier takes a spill by catching an edge, etc. Why should FS be different? I think only in Ice Dancing does a booboo lose points regardless of how well it is covered up.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 07-09-2004 at 06:25 AM.

Custom Title
    joesitz: "I think only in Ice Dancing does a booboo lose points regardless of how well it is covered up."

Not always. At Lalique this past season, Delshoes fell badly on a required element in the OD and still placed second in the OD, after the Bulgarians. And a fall didn't keep Dubreuil/Lauzon off the podium at Skate Canada.

Some of the examples here mix eligible and pro or exhibition skating. I think there is a huge difference. For example, the fall in the Kid happened as I recall in an exhibition; I'd say that Berezhnaya has generally had trouble recovering from falls.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnuva
    Might be true in competition - but I saw him fall in an exhibition (nearly right before me btw *g*) - and he got up grinning...... Was quite funny
    That reminds me of something that happened at SC '03 practice. Emanuel fell while basically doing nothing but skating around. He laughed and took a bow while still sitting on the ice. I wish I had taken out my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    joesitz: "I think only in Ice Dancing does a booboo lose points regardless of how well it is covered up."

Not always. At Lalique this past season, Delshoes fell badly on a required element in the OD and still placed second in the OD, after the Bulgarians. And a fall didn't keep Dubreuil/Lauzon off the podium at Skate Canada.
    Chuck - I was excluding hanky panky on the part of the judges. You know as well as I do that if Michelle makes a booboo, she will be marked down and from some judges it will be severely.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast