1973 Prices | Golden Skate

1973 Prices

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Today I was looking in a old box of mine for my marriage certificate and came across an old receipt for my first pair of "real" skates. It is dated Oct. 16th, 1973. The skates SPTeri's cost 72.50 and MK-Professional blades $35.00 for a grand total of $112.88. And to think I just spent $720 for a new pair of skates.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
There's been a lot of inflation since the early 1970s, so perhaps $150.00 in 1973 is the same as $750 today?

artekgwent

Rinkside
The Hyde skates that I just retired for my new Klingbeils & MK Pros (also about $700) were bought in 1974, I think, when I was at college, and cost close to $100. They were the top off-the-shelf assembled skates at the time. I remember thinking they were REALLY expensive, and having to talk my parents into the enormous expense.

At 30 years of use for approximately $3 a year, I think I got my money's worth out of them!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Wow :eek: I can't believe your Hyde skates lasted that long! I would certainly say you got your money's worth.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Hee, hee. In 1998, I decided to buy a new pair of skates, even though I wasn't really back into skating then. I realized, of course, that they'd cost a bit more than they did when I was a kid. I was thinking, oh, $200. What I got was a $450 pair of Reidell Gold Stars with Coronation Ace blades - and I thought "ouch".

Fast forward to 2002 - skating seriously now, and need another new pair. $825 for my Klingbeils and Ultima Elites :eek: . And now I need yet another new pair of boots..... :\

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Makes me remember the phrase, they don't make things like they used to!!! :eek:

Summerkid

Rinkside
This isn't about 1973 but I've heard about rinks charging up to $18.00 for an hour of freestyle. My rink is a steal at a drop in rate of $6.00.

artekgwent

Rinkside
Chelsea Piers here in NYC is $170 for ten freestyle 50-minute sessions, or $17 each (regular is, I believe, $22!).

It does put a damper on things because you have to calculate whether you'll get your money's worth out of skating on a given day. I wouldn't dream of coming for only half the session, for example, if I have another commitment I can't break; but those half hours on a regular basis could be more helpful than 2 sessions a week - all I can really afford.

Last edited:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
At the risk of sounding like a brat....my rink rocks! We are non-profit and freestyle is just that - FREE! It is the one and only Jones Center for Families in Springdale, Arkansas. I love it, and we are so very lucky to have this beautiful facility!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
OOH, Glacier, I'm jealous, that sounds so wonderful. We charge $10 an hour for freestyle, although if you purchase ice time via your rink card it works out to 8 or 9 an hour, depending on the session.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think I skated on my first freestyle session in 1973. It was $2 for the hour, or $4 for the hour of patch before, which also included the freestyle, but I didn't start patch till '74.

And Reidell Gold Star boots and Pattern 99 blades each cost about $80/pair ca. 1974-75.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Glacier- Free Ice!!!!!!!!!! Oh how lucky you are. I have a annual pass which cost $375 a year. I skate about 3 times a week so that would come out to about $2.60 each time I skate.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Oooohhh, you guys are making me feel guilty. We have a wonderful facility and it was generous of the founders to creat the community center that they did. And it is not a dive either...it is a beautiful building with high ceilings and windows. Plus the center has 2 pools, computer labs, a beautiful chapel, a senior center, conference centers, and classrooms, They have free school that offers free classes. Oh, and we have a workout room, gym with a track...all free. If you are ever near Northwest Arkansas, come visit! You won't be disappointed.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
My normal freestyle session is $14 per hour. In the spring for a month or so the only available freestyle that fits my schedule is with the Rye Figure Skating Club, at $28 per hour. $28!!!

Normal public ice in my area runs about $7-8.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
MICE!!! You are scaring me! I cannot believe that it would cost that much. (I mean I believe you, I just wouldn't be able to do it very much) Oh, that would greatly damper my skating "career".

Granny, I am happy to say that we have culture here, and PLEASE don't let anything that you have seen out of Arkansas residents (or presidents) or stupid reality shows impact your impression too much. Now, we have our share of rednecks (really, what state does not?) but I assure you that we have public radio, running water, and dental care. What we also have is a bit of a slower pace, nice people, and beautiful land....even if we only have 2 rinks in the entire state, Tulsa is only and hour and 30 minutes away, and Springfield, MO (boasting 2 sheets of ice) is about 1 hour and 30 minutes. This place is a fairly well kept secret. ;)

Did I mention free ice time?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I've been to Arkansas a number of times and that was supposed to be a joke because of all the put down publicity Ark has received. I know better. Sorry if I offended you. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't have said anything. Truth is Ark., Nebr., Iowa, Mo., Okla & Ks are all pretty similar in that regard. Most of us are down to earth, friendly, people and not hillbillies like we are portrayed. I know a lot of tv shows, etc. have really been giving Kansas a bad name. What we know that they don't that sophisticated isn't real the way they try to put on. We don't have to try and flout "upper class" like a lot do. We prefer to be Godfearing down to earth people. We know we are just as good or better than those that put us down. Of course, we all have citizens that aren't in that class. That's just the way it is. I would bet on (if I were a betting person) the midwest and the south as more likely being moral people. Of course, everywhere has the good and bad. It's just that always being considered lower class really is disgusting.

Just remember the Kansas tree is the telephone post. :laugh:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Granny,

Oh, you did not offend me at all. I am laughing at the rep that we have, or the perception that we have no running water (my family from Colorado teases me incessantly about CHOOSING the live in Arkansas.) These are not preceptions that you indicated necessarily, but I know that when I am out town and tell people where I am from they get this look on their face, and I am suddenly feeling like I have to justify where I live, and they walk off and I am still talking, running after them, and throwing all these tourist pamphlets at them trying to convince them how wonderful it is.

I did not mean to sound like I was offended. I spend so much time telling my mom how great it is, then I will see the epitome of the precieved Arkansas resident with 4 trucks on blocks and several household appliances in the front yard, and we change the subject. I am not sensitive about it, truly. I am teasing you back.

And, I touch on this lightly, as it may be a sensitive subject, but yes, we have our share of godfearing people. I sometimes feel that bigger cities are so fast paced that it is harder to find, or maybe not as apparent (oh, I am sure I will get beat up over that comment).

On another note, you must be from Kansas. I think that the state flower is the corn plant, right? (kidding) The drive from NWA across KS to CO is a long one for sure, and I never knew that there was so much corn in the whole world. I find it pretty though, and I love wide open spaces. ;)