Actual pairings with amazing potential | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Actual pairings with amazing potential

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If Lubov can get those triples stable, I think she and Dylan could easily pull ahead of S/B to number two. I love both teams. Dylan's lifts, especially the one where he starts from a lunge, and Lubov's cantilever are the coolest pair elements out there today. :yes: I can't ever seem to enjoy a MTM2.0 performance because I'm always worried that Mike is going to drop Kirsten, and that was before it actually happened at Canadian nationals. Now that it's actually happened, I find myself cringing out of fear when I watch them skate live. :( His lifts just don't look stable to me.

Technique and strength are important to the lifts and Michael is not the best at either - lifts are huge in the fs so something has to be done. She appear to be solid but because she is very short she still doesnt weigh much. Not sure what they can do.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I must agree that Keauna and Rockne had a lot of potential. I never noticed that she she grew too tall for Rockne (did she have a growth spurt after the split?) I also don't remember the eating disorder. I do recall the devastating Nationals where they missed going to the Olympics. Guess the usfsa was not in the same mind-set as when they held Mirai back and appointed Ashley to the Olympic team.
'

Well, you can't pin it on a "mind-set."

The year of Sochi Olympics, at Nationals 2014, the pair of Caydee Denney and John Coughlin were favorites to go to Sochi. They had mistakes in both programs and came in only .3 point, I think, behind Felicia Zhang and Nate Bartolomay. The criteria for choosing an Olympic team was 1) performance at Nationals, and 2) the team's international efforts in the past year, or year and a half(?). D/C had missed part of the season before because of injury. So Z/B were appointed to the Olympic Team.

The same criteria were observed for the ladies: 1) performance at Nationals, and 2) the skater's international record in the past year. Mirai's international results were significantly, actually far below Ashley's.
In both cases, the decisions were perfectly consistent with the rules in place.

No one "held Mirai back," except Mirai.

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Imagine that

Denkova/Staviski without the career ending car incident before Vancouver,

Delobel/Schoenfelder without Isabel's family plan and Olivier's injuries during the Olympic season,

Domnina/Shablin without injuries during the Olympic season,

The Olympic event could've been a bloody field and podium finishers at Vancouver could've been dramatically different from what actually happened.

I would have thought that the podium might have included the Bulgarians and the French, with the Russians as well, but alas dance changed in the Olympic season and the young'uns (D/W and V/M) stepped it up and knocked it out the park.

I should also like to add that Bourne & Kraatz made some silly mistakes of their own (the last element in SLC) but that at least in Nagano, the judging screwed them over badly.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to remember when thinking of pairs and dance teams that split up... I wish they'd stayed together, but...

How bad it must be to work so hard for so many years alongside someone you really don't like. I would think the chemistry (not necessarily romantic/sexual) has to be just right for it to work out.

I don't blame teams for parting ways. Heck, even marriages frequently end in divorce.

I think from reading between the lines that's what happened with I/K. He just didn't like her very much.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just hope the Canadian curse doesn't continue where an international partner gets their citizenship fast tracked and then they don't place high enough at Canadian nationals to qualify for the Olympics, a la Kaitlyn and Andrew in 2010 and then Piper and Paul in 2014. I hate to see that happen. :sad21:

How many Canadian curses are there, anyway?:drama: this isn't the first one I've heard about. :popcorn:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Speaking of "Actual Pairings" What is going on with Haven Denny and Brandon Frazier? They showed so much promise and I thought they'd be the next big thing. Have there been any updates on this promising young pair?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How many Canadian curses are there, anyway?:drama: this isn't the first one I've heard about. :popcorn:

LOL. I can think of two others that are Olympic specific: the silver medal curse for the Canadian men since Brian Orser (then Elvis, then Patrick), and the no-gold-medals-since-1948 "curse" for the Canadian ladies.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I have to say Kristi and Rudy have the most potential. Both are polished skaters and both have great technical abilities. Their programs are always fun. They got pedigree being World Jr champion. And it's not like they fizzled out like other Jr champions who ballooned and couldn't jump. Both improved technically and artistically. It's like Sui/Han but with better tech. They both could be going for triple triple had they stayed together and gelled together a little longer. When they broke up, they were so young and already 5th in senior world. With the right push and with maturity gain over time, they would be unbeatable.
Kristi was getting 5.9 for artistically after 91. Imagine what she would be getting had she continued skating with Rudy in 94. I think they could beat both M/D and G/G in 94.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have to say Kristi and Rudy have the most potential. Both are polished skaters and both have great technical abilities. Their programs are always fun. They got pedigree being World Jr champion. And it's not like they fizzled out like other Jr champions who ballooned and couldn't jump. Both improved technically and artistically. It's like Sui/Han but with better tech. They both could be going for triple triple had they stayed together and gelled together a little longer. When they broke up, they were so young and already 5th in senior world. With the right push and with maturity gain over time, they would be unbeatable.
Kristi was getting 5.9 for artistically after 91. Imagine what she would be getting had she continued skating with Rudy in 94. I think they could beat both M/D and G/G in 94.

My problem with Rudy and Kristi was two fold.

Reason #1 They were too close in height. I've never stood next to Rudy but, I did stand right next to Kristi and she is Tiny. She's not just short either, she was thin as a rake when I saw her. Obviously, I've seen Rudy on TV and he looked quite small when he was sitting with Polina at Nationals. They seemed to lack the power, especially in their throws to make a big impact. I remember seeing Sale' and Pelletier in 2001 and though David is not very tall, he towered over Jamie and it really makes a difference visually.

Reason #2 They were "Mirror" skaters and spun and jumped in opposite directions which IMO, is not as pleasing to the eye. Here's a question for someone who knows. Has a "Mirrored" pair ever won a World Championship or an Olympic Medal? Here are Kristi and Rudy winning nationals in 1990. You can hear Dick mention the opposite spins and jumps at the top of the program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-B0F3c0

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My problem with Rudy and Kristi was two fold.

Reason #1 They were too close in height. I've never stood next to Rudy but, I did stand right next to Kristi and she is Tiny. She's not just short either, she was thin as a rake when I saw her. Obviously, I've seen Rudy on TV and he looked quite small when he was sitting with Polina at Nationals. They seemed to lack the power, especially in their throws to make a big impact. I remember seeing Sale' and Pelletier in 2001 and though David is not very tall, he towered over Jamie and it really makes a difference visually.

Reason #2 They were "Mirror" skaters and spun and jumped in opposite directions which IMO, is not as pleasing to the eye. Here's a question for someone who knows. Has a "Mirrored" pair ever won a World Championship or an Olympic Medal? Here are Kristi and Rudy winning nationals in 1990. You can hear Dick mention the opposite spins and jumps at the top of the program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-B0F3c0

I never thought mirror skaters suited my eye, but I did like Rudy and Kristie. They made the best of that situation. I thought their pair spiral into diverging mirror double axels was one the coolest moves in pair skating.

Their SBS 3flips into 3toes was jaw-dropping technical content back in the day.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I am not sure they would have excelled at the lifts though and artistically they weren't really gelling super well. They didn't skate like one as other teams of their vintage did

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kristi's and Rudy's separate interviews with TSL offer insight into what advice and factors went into their break-up (Kristi) and
why it likely wouldn't have been possible after 92 for them to try again (Rudy).

I have to agree that it all turned out great for both of them. Rudy's TSL interview is one of the most, if not the most, inspiring IMO.
Yet the might-have-been pulls at the heart strings.

I agree about the diverging mirror 2Axels and SBS 3flips into 3T. Spectacular. But for the time, skating as one, quality of moves and even lifts were as important or more so.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I agree on Kirsten Moore-Tower/Dylan Moscovitch.

If they stick together, they already would've won a World medal under their belt.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

OMG, this is extraordinarily beautiful. Their performance gives me goosebumps! This intricate and delicate program with so many unique transitions and choreographic moves is noteworthy. I'm sure this program will be one of my favorite pair programs for this season. I'm also glad Haven seems to heal her serious injuries completely. I'm also applauding the choreographer, Marina Zueva! I'm really looking forward to the US Nationals already. :) This is gonna be so fun.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my! They look awesome. This is such a more mature program than their Lion King. First of all I LOVE the music from Somewhere In Time and the choreography is perfect for it.

Haven and Brandon actually made me like the music, which I never had before. Marina picked great cuts; the composition is much more complex than I've heard in other FS programs. Lots of piano helps a lot!:luv17:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG, this is extraordinarily beautiful. Their performance gives me goosebumps! This intricate and delicate program with so many unique transitions and choreographic moves is noteworthy. I'm sure this program will be one of my favorite pair programs for this season. I'm also glad Haven seems to heal her serious injuries completely. I'm also applauding the choreographer, Marina Zueva! I'm really looking forward to the US Nationals already. :) This is gonna be so fun.

^ ^ ^ ^ All of the above. :luv17: