Shoma Uno raises bar for 2016-17 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno raises bar for 2016-17

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Japan’s Shoma Uno, the past 2015-16 season was one full of “growth” and “experiences.” The 2015 World Junior champion officially moved up to the senior level, and began the season with a fifth place finish at the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in mid-September.

More

In past season, besides the quad toe and quad flip he already landed in competitions, Uno was observed doing quad Salchows and quad loops in practice sessions.

“For next season, I want to try other types of quads,” he offered, “but as of now, the landing rate of my quad loop is not as good as my flip. Maybe I will do the Salchow, I haven’t decided yet.”

With much, if not all, of his "growing" done, it will be interesting to see how Uno fares this upcoming season in regards to the quads. He's come a long way in four years!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Exciting skater! Much ups and downs last season, but definitely a world champion challenger in the future. Destined to be great in all areas!

Looking into next season, the 18-year-old wants to increase the level of difficulty, citing, “there is no meaning doing the same thing, so I would like to challenge myself and raise the bar.”

and
“During the off-season, I will spend extra efforts on my performing and skating in training,” said Uno. “I hope that when the new season starts, I can make improvement in these areas.”

Ambitious indeed :rock: Excited for him 2016/17.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
The ambition of these younger skaters is amazing! Shoma already had his 4T and 4F and he still wants to attempt other types of quads for next season. :shocked: He had a very solid senior debut (even with the so-so FS at 4 CC and Worlds), and I can't wait to see how he grows this season :hap10:

I think he will win the 2018 Olympics. Unless Boyang Jin overtakes him.

Hanyu? Fernandez? That was then, this is now. :)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think he will win the 2018 Olympics. Unless Boyang Jin overtakes him.

Hanyu? Fernandez? That was then, this is now. :)[/QUOTE

So excited to hear all these positive thoughts regarding Shoma. Saw him at Skate America last year in Milwaukee and fell in love with his skating. Am praying he gets invited to SA again this year. Am really very anxious to see his new programs. The long already looked pretty decent in some of the ice shows in Japan.

By any chance does anyone know where he is training in the U.S. for these next few weeks? They're being so secretive about it!!!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Honestly pretty worried about him, I heard he doesn't really rest much and trains almost every day of the week. I understand he's really competitive and wants to win but I am so scared of him being injured. Please please please stay healthy.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly pretty worried about him, I heard he doesn't really rest much and trains almost every day of the week. I understand he's really competitive and wants to win but I am so scared of him being injured. Please please please stay healthy.

His senpai, Daisuke Takahashi, has talked a little bit of sense into him and he now rests one day a week. Still sounds like overtraining to me, but at least it's a step in the right direction. He is supposedly in the U.S. doing some training right now, and I really hope some jump training will minimize his risk of injury. I worry about his poor knees and hips. But I do love his artistic sense and can't wait to see his new short program.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I truly hope he works his jumping technique because as of late it's really unacceptable. But his programs seem good for him this year!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... we will see.. His new LP is a hot mess... and most landings were so low on his knees that I worry about him being able to have a long career.

As far as I am concerned, anybody can win on a given day... so I won't be one of the ones saying that shoma will be numero UNO :) i will wait and see but yes, he is an exciting skater and it's nice that he wants to be part of pushing the sport like others before him (and after him)

alia jackson

Record Breaker
You guys made me check out skaters age :laugh:

17yo: Chen
18yo: Boyang, Uno
20yo: HanYan
21yo: Hanyu, Brown, Kolyada, Kovtun
23yo: Ten
24yo: Aaron
25yo: Chan, Fernandez, Mura, Murakami
26yo: Rippon
28yo: Voronov

Last edited:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
well... we will see.. His new LP is a hot mess... and most landings were so low on his knees that I worry about him being able to have a long career.

As far as I am concerned, anybody can win on a given day... so I won't be one of the ones saying that shoma will be numero UNO :) i will wait and see but yes, he is an exciting skater and it's nice that he wants to be part of pushing the sport like others before him (and after him)

As I have said many times here his technique needs to rework or he might end really badly, landings are so scary. Also the strategy of Yamada/Higuchi team seems a hot mess to me. He doesn't have the quality of other jumps while they are rushing to add new quads, this kind of strategy seems short sighted and very dangerous for his career. As we have seen the quality/success rate of his quad toe even decreased by the end of the season. Also I am not fan of his LP, I spotted more transitions but too much two footed skating and crossovers. ( Don't even mention Milva screaming /horrible) . The boy is pretty exciting but they should get him a jumping coach and make him rework completely his technique, ( add new quads after that), N2 Get a new choreographer.
I am in the camp who prefers to wait. First skater needs to have good technique and good jumps, if quantity overtakes quality and the coach approves this, that it is short sighted and that coach should be changed. It is good that he is ambitious but only wild ambition is useless unless they don't have gradual plan. I hope he wont end up like Kanako tho , I am not the one who trusts Y/H team. So I will wait, I doubt he can be numero UNO unless he reworks his jumps.

Spiral

Final Flight
That is ancient for ladies lol - like seniors home.

Really?
Yuka Sato won Worlds at 21.
Yu-na Kim won her second Worlds at 21 and Olympic silver at 22.
Michelle Kwan won her 5th Worlds at 22.
Mao Asada won her 3rd Worlds at 23.
Irina Slutskaya won her 1st Worlds and Olympic silver at 23 and her 2nd Worlds at 26.
Shizuka Arakawa won Olympic gold at 24.
Carolina Kostner won Worlds at 25 and Worlds' silver at 26.
Maria Butyrskaya won Worlds at 26.
Not bad for a seniors' home, no? :biggrin:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Hanyu just had unprecedented success early. So he's been around a while now so it just seems like he's "old." Even Javier and Patrick arent THAT old in comparison to past champions. Though history also shows that at their age now they may be on the downslope.

I too worry about him rushing into these incredibly difficult jumps without first focusing on proper technique.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
but so far, both patrick and javi are increasing difficulty and are not on the downslope.... we will see..

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i agree with you but i think what skater boy meant was mostly about the current situation. a lot of the ladies you have cited here are from at least 1 or 2 generations ago.... right now, teenagers (especially russian and japanese) rule the world....
Really?
Yuka Sato won Worlds at 21.
Yu-na Kim won her second Worlds at 21 and Olympic silver at 22.
Michelle Kwan won her 5th Worlds at 22.
Mao Asada won her 3rd Worlds at 23.
Irina Slutskaya won her 1st Worlds and Olympic silver at 23 and her 2nd Worlds at 26.
Shizuka Arakawa won Olympic gold at 24.
Carolina Kostner won Worlds at 25 and Worlds' silver at 26.
Maria Butyrskaya won Worlds at 26.
Not bad for a seniors' home, no? :biggrin: