Iconic jump combination | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Iconic jump combination

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru did a "3Lo+1Lo+3S" on the fly for the first time after missing the "1Lo+3S" on a 3A combo at Autumn Classic. I'm not sure whether this is a unique combo :think:

Ashley Wagner has been doing this combination in the second half of her Moulin Rouge program since GPF 2014. Although hers is usually called as a half loop, not 1Lo, I believe. So maybe I should be listing this as Ashley's on its own, as a new one in this thread. (I just checked the results. It's called as 3Lo+1Lo+3S.)

At Worlds this year, she earned 12.20 for it. It was the highest scoring single element in the ladies FS. Ashley's is very beautiful, not rushed on the 1Lo.

liv

Record Breaker
I think Midori's 2l-3l at Calgary olys 1988 is pretty iconic. Back then the isu set out the required elements for the sp and that year the combination jump had to have a double loop in it. Most did a triple first but she turned it on its head and did the 2L-3L. Stunned everyone and the music made it 10x as effective.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner has been doing this combination in the second half of her Moulin Rouge program since GPF 2014. Although hers is usually called as a half loop, not 1Lo, I believe. So maybe I should be listing this as Ashley's on its own, as a new one in this thread. (I just checked the results. It's called as 3Lo+1Lo+3S.)

At Worlds this year, she earned 12.20 for it. It was the highest scoring single element in the ladies FS. Ashley's is very beautiful, not rushed on the 1Lo.

Half loop and 1Lo is the same thing.

and Elena Radionova and Anna Pogorilaya have been doing this combination at least a year before Ashley has been doing it. As impressive as it is it's not unique or iconic

sarama

Medalist
I think Courtney Hicks had a 3Lz-½Lo-3Sal in her 2015-2016 FS, but I can't remember if she ever landed it (if somebody knows it, please tell me!). I hope she keeps trying it anyway because her lutz is gorgeous, and it's a cool and distinctive combo

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Courtney Hicks had a 3Lz-½Lo-3Sal in her 2015-2016 FS, but I can't remember if she ever landed it (if somebody knows it, please tell me!). I hope she keeps trying it anyway because her lutz is gorgeous, and it's a cool and distinctive combo

Not THAT distinctive. Max Aaron did it all season long and hit it every time bar one. And his flew pretty well a third of the ice on its own. Brendan Kerry was doing it by season's end, too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Max is a completely different story. His Jumps are HUGE and he is Fast, Fast, Fast. The first time I saw Max, he reminded me of Elvis Stojko. I felt the same way about Keegan Messing. The other good thing about Max is that he has definitely continued to improve as he gets older. I think his programs were better than ever this season and I'm still divided between he and Adam. Fortunately, both are great and I can't imagine who the 3rd man will be should Grant, Josh, Jason, and Nathan all return to their previous form. Another question for me are the silver and bronze medalists from 2011. Richard Dornbush and Ross Miner.

Then we have the Wild Cards. Timothy Dolensky, Alexander Johnson, Vincent Zhou, and Shotaro Omori.

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
Alexander Johnson does a 3Z-1L-3F.

I don't recall seeing other skaters doing this particular combo in actual competition. All the other three jump combs I've seen start with a lutz and loop end with a salchow.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Jin Boyang 4 lutz - 3 toeloop (duh)
Nobunari Oda 3 axel - 3 toeloop - 3 loop.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Alexander Johnson does a 3Z-1L-3F.

I don't recall seeing other skaters doing this particular combo in actual competition. All the other three jump combs I've seen start with a lutz and loop end with a salchow.

Shoma Uno is doing 3A-1L-3F, a much harder combo.
Phushenko did 3A-1L-3F.

Alex's combo is just another 1L-3F combo, it's been done 15-20 years ago.

Yes, Midori's 2Lo-3Lo is jaw dropping. It's 10x more difficult than the typical 3x-2x that skaters were doing back in the day. I'm surprised her TES wasn't 6.0 across the board, especially compare to the rest of the fields, who should be getting 5.2 max!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

That's not accurate. Plushenko was the only person who did +1Lo+3F in competition until recent times and he didn't do it that many times. He also doesn't do his flip from the correct edge, so Alexander Johnson at 2013 U.S. Nationals was technically the first person to ever do a "proper" +1Lo+3Flip in competition. Either way it was the first 3Lutz+1Lo+3Flip ever and the flow between the jumps was actually better than Plushenko ever did it and also better than Shoma tends to do it. Pluskenko's 3F was usually at a standstill and Shoma has his own wonky technique.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Which statement is not accurate?

Alex's combo is just another 1L-3F combo? This is true. It's just another 1L-3F combo. Just like 1L-3Sal combo.
It's been done 15-20 years ago? This is also true.

Since when is landing a jump at a standstill or wonky technique doesn't count? You like to be a contrarian, don't you.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Well the title of this thread isn't well done jump combinations, Plushenko's wasn't perfect but it's famous because he did it unplanned and off the fly at the biggest stage there is in figure skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well the title of this thread isn't well done jump combinations, Plushenko's wasn't perfect but it's famous because he did it unplanned and off the fly at the biggest stage there is in figure skating

Can I just say one thing in Plushy's defense. In fact, I'll say it about Elvis and Todd Eldredge as well. I don't think we as fans have a true grasp on how much pressure these young skater's are under. In 2001, I witnessed first hand that Plushy, Todd E, and more than anyone else, Elvis Stojko, could not do anything without a screaming group of fans hounding them. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to focus when the crowd is in a frenzy. I'm positive that Elvis couldn't hear a word his coach was saying in 2001, especially before his SP. Which unfortunately, did not go well for him.

I've performed in public since I was 5 and professionally since I was in 10th grade. However, I have never had an entire arena screaming just for me and that's why I get so nervous for the hometown skaters.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Here's another 2A-1Lo-3Sal combo by the EMPRESS

https://youtu.be/JQ_C60zJfB4?t=56

Jesus, look at the distance and height of that combo. The flow coming out is also insane. Jumps like this should get +5 GOE. This is how a 1Lo-3Sal should be. When I see Ashley's 1Lo-3Sal combo or anyone else's for that matter, it's shameful that Midori wasn't rewarded more for her out of world efforts.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Which statement is not accurate?

Alex's combo is just another 1L-3F combo? This is true. It's just another 1L-3F combo.

No it isn't, since he executed it better than anyone else up to that point in history. Nor was it "just another" since nobody but Plushenko had done it up until that point, only doing it with 3Axel and from the wrong edge, and the last time being 9 years prior.

Plushenko's wasn't perfect but it's famous because he did it unplanned and off the fly at the biggest stage there is in figure skating

It wasn't unplanned. That was always his ideal planned combination in a 2 Quad + 2 Triple Axel program, since it was the only way to legally do a Triple-Triple combo after having already used the Triple Toe in combination with the Quad.

Plushenko's plan to do it is why Yagudin started doing 3Axel+1Lo+3Sal. It was definitely very exciting and famous, though. Which is why it was such a let-down in 2013 when Alexander Johnson became the first person since Plushenko to do it, and actually did it from the correct edge, but received no additional points at all since the current scoring system doesn't reward especially difficult jump combinations and sometimes even punishes people for them (difficult jump combinations are harder to control and thus will likely get a lower GOE score).

sarama

Medalist
Not THAT distinctive. Max Aaron did it all season long and hit it every time bar one. And his flew pretty well a third of the ice on its own. Brendan Kerry was doing it by season's end, too.

I mean in the ladies' field!

lyverbird1

Final Flight
At the risk of incurring the wrath of those that would argue over the definition of the word "iconic" as per a previous thread, a jump combination that is iconic to me was Eric Millot's 3Lo3Lo. It was the first time I'd ever seen it done successfully and can't recall seeing it again until Tara's. I love it as a combination and I'm glad it is something to remember Eric for!

jcoates

Medalist
Shoma Uno is doing 3A-1L-3F, a much harder combo.
Phushenko did 3A-1L-3F.

Yes, Midori's 2Lo-3Lo is jaw dropping. It's 10x more difficult than the typical 3x-2x that skaters were doing back in the day. I'm surprised her TES wasn't 6.0 across the board, especially compare to the rest of the fields, who should be getting 5.2 max!

What an obnoxious and unnecessarily aggressive reply.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
That's not accurate. Plushenko was the only person who did +1Lo+3F in competition until recent times and he didn't do it that many times. He also doesn't do his flip from the correct edge, so Alexander Johnson at 2013 U.S. Nationals was technically the first person to ever do a "proper" +1Lo+3Flip in competition. Either way it was the first 3Lutz+1Lo+3Flip ever and the flow between the jumps was actually better than Plushenko ever did it and also better than Shoma tends to do it. Pluskenko's 3F was usually at a standstill and Shoma has his own wonky technique.

Maybe you would like to see this scenario, this is your OPINION, but Plushenko was the first who did this combination in FS history book. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhIiisXRBys NBC with Scott Hamilton's commentary

another angle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6m11LWPLR0&t=1m40s that was a flip from correct edge

Last edited: