View Poll Results: Who do you think has influenced a/o advanced pairs skating the most?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kazakova and Dmitriev

1 1.92%
  • Berezhanya and Sikharulidze

2 3.85%
  • Sale and Pelltier

1 1.92%
  • Bechke and Petrov

0 0%
  • Gordeeva and Grinkov

28 53.85%
  • Underhill and Martini

1 1.92%
  • Brasseur and Eisler

0 0%
  • Hough and Ladret

1 1.92%
  • Klimova and Ponomeranko

2 3.85%
  • Other

16 30.77%

Thread: Most Influential Pairs Skaters, Not Including Dance

Hybrid View

On the Ice

Most Influential Pairs Skaters, Not Including Dance

who do you think has influenced pairs skating and/or has helped advance the sport of pairs skating (not including dance pairs)? Sorry about the short list, but the max list is 10. :D
    Last edited by KatyaFan; 07-09-2004 at 12:52 AM.

I'd have to say IRINA RODNINA and... IRINA RODNINA! The woman won THREE Olympic gold medals and something like 10 World titles with two different partners: Alexandr Zaitsev (ex-husband) and Alexei Ulanov (who devastated her when he married a skating rival).

Custom Title
    I think influencial & advanced the sport are two different topics. (IMO ) For influencial I think it is those pairs who have a style, that you can see the effects of that in other pairs.
    For advanced the sport-I see that as all skaters who have added something technically & artistically to the sport.

Top of my list is the Protopopovs: They started not only the Russian domination of the sport, but the influence of the Russian ballet into skating. As well, as embodied Uncle Dick's favorite phrase about pairs "two should become one"

Rodnina & Zaitsev/Rodnina & Ulanov really influenced pairs in the 70s-a lot of the other Soviet Pairs were like mini Rodnina/Zaitsev clones back then. But, they were the ones who really introduced the more athletic aspects of skating-speed, lifts, jumps etc.

Valova & Vasiliev are somewhat underappreciated, but they were the first pair to do consistant side-by-side triples & they were the first wildly successful pair using the Moskvinaesque choreography.

Gordeeva & Grinkov have advanced the sport through their technical perfection-they were remarkably consistant (save Katia's growth spur years) and almost everything they did was "textbook" As, pros-they added a new sense of Artistry to their skating. And in 1994-1995 meshed together their artistry & technical abilities.

Mishkutenok & Dmitrev/Kazakova & Dmitriev took the Moskvina choreography, along w/ Artur's strong involvement in the choreography & took it to a new stratosphere. Adding a new, unique, artistic dimension to pairs skating. And Artur himself has had influence on the state of male pairs skaters-and I think we now expect the men to be more "active" on the ice. When before, they were the silent partners.

Berezhnaya & Sikhaurlidze have advanced the sport by being themselves & at the sametime-sort of a middle point between the strong artistry & choreography of M&D and the techincal perfection of G&G.

I think Shen & Zhao have opened pairs skating up to Chinese athletes like never before, and are have helped made China a powerhouse in pairs.

Not to be nitpicky-but Klimova & Ponomarenko are an ice dance couple not pairs

Custom Title
    Two of the most influential pairs of all times:

Belousova-Protopopov (The Protopopovs): turned pairs into a ballet like art form.

Rodnina-Zaitsev: Brought great athleticism to pairs.

It is hard for me to pick one of these two pairs as the most influential.

Vash

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    The Protopopovs all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    The Protopopovs all the way!
    ITA

Agree with the above and would add that here in North America at least Underhill and Martini especially as pros .

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu
    I think influencial & advanced the sport are two different topics. (IMO ) For influencial I think it is those pairs who have a style, that you can see the effects of that in other pairs.
    For advanced the sport-I see that as all skaters who have added something technically & artistically to the sport.

Top of my list is the Protopopovs: They started not only the Russian domination of the sport, but the influence of the Russian ballet into skating. As well, as embodied Uncle Dick's favorite phrase about pairs "two should become one"

Rodnina & Zaitsev/Rodnina & Ulanov really influenced pairs in the 70s-a lot of the other Soviet Pairs were like mini Rodnina/Zaitsev clones back then. But, they were the ones who really introduced the more athletic aspects of skating-speed, lifts, jumps etc.

Valova & Vasiliev are somewhat underappreciated, but they were the first pair to do consistant side-by-side triples & they were the first wildly successful pair using the Moskvinaesque choreography.

Gordeeva & Grinkov have advanced the sport through their technical perfection-they were remarkably consistant (save Katia's growth spur years) and almost everything they did was "textbook" As, pros-they added a new sense of Artistry to their skating. And in 1994-1995 meshed together their artistry & technical abilities.

Mishkutenok & Dmitrev/Kazakova & Dmitriev took the Moskvina choreography, along w/ Artur's strong involvement in the choreography & took it to a new stratosphere. Adding a new, unique, artistic dimension to pairs skating. And Artur himself has had influence on the state of male pairs skaters-and I think we now expect the men to be more "active" on the ice. When before, they were the silent partners.

Berezhnaya & Sikhaurlidze have advanced the sport by being themselves & at the sametime-sort of a middle point between the strong artistry & choreography of M&D and the techincal perfection of G&G.

I think Shen & Zhao have opened pairs skating up to Chinese athletes like never before, and are have helped made China a powerhouse in pairs.

Not to be nitpicky-but Klimova & Ponomarenko are an ice dance couple not pairs
    I just have to totally agree with everything you said.

Rinkside
    I voted other for the Protopopovs but I think Rodnina was also extremely influential.

Custom Title
    I'm sorry , how could you even leave out the Protopopovs. They practically invented the way pairs is skated today with the death spiral.

Custom Title
    I voted for the Protopopovs and there was a discussion about them and Rodnina earlier in the thread. You may not have read the whole thread.