GP TBA Predictions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

GP TBA Predictions

Skatergal101

On the Ice
Just a quick thought.. Veronik didn't do so hot at skate Detroit. So she might not be picked. Maybe SC is using the national summer series to determine who goes to SC (for all disciplines?)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mallet didn't make the Senior Ladies Free Skate Final at Skate Detroit, losing out in her group to Kelsey Wong (10th to Mallet's 4th at nationals) and Kim Decelles, 10th in Juniors at nationals. Veronik fell twice in the SP and three times in the FS.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Just a quick thought.. Veronik didn't do so hot at skate Detroit. So she might not be picked. Maybe SC is using the national summer series to determine who goes to SC (for all disciplines?)

I hope they do that. I would much rather see a lady who is doing well but may not be on the national team than someone who is on the team and has been doing terribly July to October. For senior ladies, neither Michelle Long nor Veronik Mallet have had top tier scores in summer competitions.

nadster

Final Flight
I hope they do that. I would much rather see a lady who is doing well but may not be on the national team than someone who is on the team and has been doing terribly July to October. For senior ladies, neither Michelle Long nor Veronik Mallet have had top tier scores in summer competitions.

I agree here. Mallet has had a lot of chances and has never done well internationally.

The only thing is that Mallet thus far is the only skater among those competing for the TBA spot who has met SC's standards. The standard is an international score of 150 ( obtained last season ) or a domestic score of 160 ( obtained at the last nationals or this season's summer competitions). Mallet scored 171.86 at nationals.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Has anyone ever tried to explain reasoning behind the historical lack of depth in women's skating in Canada?? It's rather quite frustrating. There seems to be tons of talent at the pre-novice and novice levels, but once you get to senior, it seems to fizzle out.

Granted, our current top three of Alaine, Gabby and Kaetlyn are the best we've had in a long time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mallet scored 155.98 internationally last year at 4CC where she placed 15th of 22 skaters. Her top international total score ever was 159.67 (Nebelhorn 2013), top SP 57.45 (SC 2014), top FS 104.10 (4CC 2016). She has had 4 GPs so far: SC 2013 (8th of 8, 138.13), SC 2014 (10th of 12, 142.25), TEB 2014 (10th of 12, 139.64), SC 2015 10th of 12, 151.95).

I'd really like to see some other Canadian lady get a shot at Skate Canada. Mallet may have the international and national scores required by Skate Canada, but several of the younger ladies at Skate Detroit were much, much better performers. The younger ladies haven't had much opportunity yet to match or better those scores, but they've started at Skate Detroit, leaving Mallet in their dust, and maybe Skate Canada should pay attention to that.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think new Canadian girls are coming soon. They weren't ready last year. It seems to me that we alternate between quebec and Ontario for top ladies. Josée, Jennifer, Cynthia and Joannie, Gabby Alaine and Kaetlyn (I know, she's not from Ontario) and Mallet is just a placeholder like Lacoste was, until the young new generation from Quebec emerges. I like Veronik a lot but she has not improved technically. I wouldn't be surprised she gets displaced from the national team after nationals. I think the two decelles girls may be making their move so is Alicia pineault. We'll see soon enough

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
I think new Canadian girls are coming soon. They weren't ready last year. It seems to me that we alternate between quebec and Ontario for top ladies. Josée, Jennifer, Cynthia and Joannie, Gabby Alaine and Kaetlyn (I know, she's not from Ontario) and Mallet is just a placeholder like Lacoste was, until the young new generation from Quebec emerges. I like Veronik a lot but she has not improved technically. I wouldn't be surprised she gets displaced from the national team after nationals. I think the two decelles girls may be making their move so is Alicia pineault. We'll see soon enough

Agree.

Pineault got a JGP assignment so she can't get the TBA.

Both Descelles girls have aged out of juniors this year so there is a chance one of them might get the TBA. I think Kim ( despite lower score in Detroit ) is more likely to get it than Emy as Kim has a more complete set of triples/

Personally I am more excited about the just moved up from novice juniors that have JGP assignments ( Emily BAUSBACK and Olivia Gran ). Emily already has a consistent triple triple.

The real problem with those standards is that it is unrealistic to expect near-perfect perfomances of the programs in the summer. Even our trio of Osmond, Daleman and Chartrand don't always score 160 in a summer competition.

So if you have clearly improved from last nationals and have no to limited international experience you probably are going to have a hard time scoring that high with brand new ( or highly modified old programs to show the new skills ) in the summertime.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

I think the future female Canadian star skaters are in BC. Vasilisa Matantseva, Emily Bausback, Olivia Gran, Sarah Tamura, Megan Yim, etc. But as nadster has mentioned, they're still below the senior level. They'll be doing JGPs until they either win something big or age out.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
it's been a long time BC hasn't given us a great female skater! GO BC GO :)
I think the future female Canadian star skaters are in BC. Vasilisa Matantseva, Emily Bausback, Olivia Gran, Sarah Tamura, Megan Yim, etc. But as nadster has mentioned, they're still below the senior level. They'll be doing JGPs until they either win something big or age out.

nadster

Final Flight

The first 3 names mentioned there are real potential gems IMO. Those are the ones that have the potential in the future to break the Russian/Japan duopoly on the JGP circuit.

I don't see Tamura and Yim on the same level wrt potential. Matantseva has just entered novice domestically and she is an exciting prospect.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The first 3 names mentioned there are real potential gems IMO. Those are the ones that have the potential in the future to break the Russian/Japan duopoly on the JGP circuit.

I don't see Tamura and Yim on the same level wrt potential. Matantseva has just entered novice domestically and she is an exciting prospect.

You know I was pretty sold on Matantseva until watching her free skate at the Victoria Day competition. We'll see how she progresses this season.

Getting back to the topic: Veronik Mallet is the only one who could get that TBA for Skate Canada according to Skate Canada's own mark requirements. The men's TBA looks like it will be Keegan Messing, unless Kevin Reynolds blows away the competition at his summer event.

nadster

Final Flight
You know I was pretty sold on Matantseva until watching her free skate at the Victoria Day competition. We'll see how she progresses this season.

Getting back to the topic: Veronik Mallet is the only one who could get that TBA for Skate Canada according to Skate Canada's own mark requirements. The men's TBA looks like it will be Keegan Messing, unless Kevin Reynolds blows away the competition at his summer event.

Point about Mallet being the only lady to meet the standards has been talked about. The problem is that the standard does not take into account that nobody peaks in the summer. ( nor do you want them to peak then ).

The other thing is that right now all of the senior ladies other than our top 3 are placeholders until the likes of our just moved up from novice ladies and novice ladies become seniors.

Kevin will blow away the competition in the BC summer skate. Firus is not competing there ( he is doing Quebec and Ottawa instead ) so his strongest competition is Mitchell Gordon. The real question is how high he scores. IMO , a great score against great opposition ( like Messing did ) is always more impressive than a great score against lesser opposition. For one doing it against tough opposition is a better sign of how you do in a senior GP event. Also there is more pressure when you know other skaters in the field can beat you.

I wished Kevin chose a 2nd event with better quality opposition

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Point about Mallet being the only lady to meet the standards has been talked about. The problem is that the standard does not take into account that nobody peaks in the summer. ( nor do you want them to peak then ).

The other thing is that right now all of the senior ladies other than our top 3 are placeholders until the likes of our just moved up from novice ladies and novice ladies become seniors.

Kevin will blow away the competition in the BC summer skate. Firus is not competing there ( he is doing Quebec and Ottawa instead ) so his strongest competition is Mitchell Gordon. The real question is how high he scores. IMO , a great score against great opposition ( like Messing did ) is always more impressive than a great score against lesser opposition. For one doing it against tough opposition is a better sign of how you do in a senior GP event. Also there is more pressure when you know other skaters in the field can beat you.

I wished Kevin chose a 2nd event with better quality opposition

Oh yes, by 'competition' I meant scoring better than the guys who could fill that TBA spot. Keegan and Nic, though Nic looks to be headed to JGP.

The one thing about the Skate Canada standard is that they have put in a disclaimer saying they may ignore it if they want. So for example if Larkyn Austman gets her act together this summer, she could end up at Skate Canada. Did you read that bit? I mentioned that earlier in this thread. They don't say out right that they will use the National Summer Series for things like this, as the NSS is more of a system for sorting out skaters for Challenge, but it is a way for them to consider host picks as well. Of course, no one should be peaking in the summer. They also want everyone to do two events, so that should give a better picture of your situation than just one stellar outing would. Of course, things may still go wrong in Autumn. It's like skaters who ace their national championships, then bomb at 4CCs or Worlds.

BeenJammin

Rinkside
With Mariah Bell placing first at Glacier falls by a difference of 23 points and beating Hannah Miller by 60 what are your thoughts on how this improves her chances for skate America. Is it still a toss up between her and Tyler Pierce, or is Hannah also still in the running?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
With Mariah Bell placing first at Glacier falls by a difference of 23 points and beating Hannah Miller by 60 what are your thoughts on how this improves her chances for skate America. Is it still a toss up between her and Tyler Pierce, or is Hannah also still in the running?

I don't think Hannah or Tyler are in the running anymore. Tyler did not compete here and has a GP spot. Maybe if she blows us all away at an early senior B, but if her nationals placement was good enough, then they should have just given it to her already.

I do think Wang might be in the running still. She did win Collegiate this weekend, but not with anywhere close to a score of Mariah's. I would not scream unfair if Mariah and Angela had a bit of a skate off at US Classic or something like that.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I don't think Hannah or Tyler are in the running anymore. Tyler did not compete here and has a GP spot. Maybe if she blows us all away at an early senior B, but if her nationals placement was good enough, then they should have just given it to her already.

I do think Wang might be in the running still. She did win Collegiate this weekend, but not with anywhere close to a score of Mariah's. I would not scream unfair if Mariah and Angela had a bit of a skate off at US Classic or something like that.

I agree, except that I don't think Tyler is as out-of-the-race as you do. She could still get it if she did well at an early senior B; she had a breakout nationals and an excellent Junior Worlds, not to mention two very good CS events. She was pretty consistent last season, which is a huge deal. Mariah, while the obvious choice if we're only going by what's happened this summer, had a rather bad nationals, didn't do particularly well at Broadmoor, and was very inconsistent all last season. But she does have an edge over Tyler in that she's competed this summer, improved greatly between events, and has shown her programs are ready to compete. So, a case could be made for either. Don't get me wrong, I love them both and would be very happy with either of them as the TBA, but I don't think it's locked up yet.

BeenJammin

Rinkside

Do you know what senior B competition Tyler will compete at? Also is there anyplace that I can find the Collegiate scores/videos? Also I just realized, don't they release the TBA spot on September 1st which is before the US Classic which is on September 14th?

Last edited: