Tara producing Hulu tv drama about skating | Golden Skate

Tara producing Hulu tv drama about skating

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Interesting. Tara has used her fame from figure skating very wisely.

The untitled series will center on a group of women and men in their teens and 20s who sacrifice normal life for that sweepstakes shot at immortality that comes around every four years in front of a global audience.

samson

Medalist
Very interesting. I really like the work that Shamberg and Igla have been on. Particularly worth noting that Igla was the executive script editor of Mad Men for the enitrety of it's last season and also worked on Masters Of Sex. Could give some insight on what the look/tone of it could be.

I haven't seen much of Hulu's original content but I really like Difficult People. Hopefully whatever the final outcome is it will be stronger than Flesh and Bone, but if it's at least that good then I think it would be considered a success

andromache

Record Breaker
I've wanted a skating tv drama MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE EVER FOR NEARLY MY ENTIRE LIFE.

Give me drama and rivalries and at least halfway decent characterization and escalating sexual tension between an ice dance or pairs team, please.

Barb

Record Breaker
interesting, but I hope see some semi decent skating, when I was a kid I see a drama/telenovela ¨about skating¨, I loved it but rewatching the intro is really embarrassing :palmf::eek::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo5M9Tv2svo

I guess maybe there are some decent skating dramas in Japan¿?

samson

Medalist
I mean if they can find a balance of talent similar to Flesh and Bone I'd consider it a success:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0yB3TFeW3o (I don't love this choreography but the dancing is really first rate)

Here's a montage of the lead character dancing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4_R0C_SlkY

She's a very strong dancer. I would say for me not quite the Prima the storyline was making her out to be, but absolutely a wonderful, first rate dancer and she really acted the hell out of the part. They also supplemented the cast with former ABT Principle dancers Irina Dvorovenko (her dancing and acting were pretty brilliant - to me she's a ballerina of the quality of an Olympic Champion) and Sascha Radetsky (again another extraordinary dancer and also was in Center Stage, but more wooden in the acting department).

It's fun to imagine some skaters today that could be good in a show like this who also aren't competitive skaters anymore. Who would you guys like to see tackle a show like this?

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
This sounds like an AWESOME idea! One of my guilty pleasures in terms of TV in the past was Make It Or Break It - the gymnastics drama that ended way too soon as far as I was concerned and if there was a figure skating show along those lines, I'd be very happy!

TMC

Record Breaker
I don't know about skating actors, but with her skating background, Uzo Aduba could play a coach/choreographer!

Rissa

Record Breaker
That would be great! Even if actors are poor skaters, I think I would be able to seallow that if I got a good drama instead. Casual watchers wouldn't notice and it's important for the show to be strong enough for casual watchers in order to stay.

I wonder if there would be any events inspired by real life or if they treat the movie disclaimer seriously. That would be fun for skating fans, to guess where the writers took inspiration from.

lyndichee

Medalist
This will sound shallow but whatever.

Someone cast Joshua Farris, the boy is too beautiful and talented not to be in the spotlight.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I have to agree with the comment below the article- if it would be a poor skating semi-acting then I pass on it. If it would be a story of an adolescent winning Oly and leaving sport for other opportunities- non-interested either. I need a solid real life based drama to get hooked.

tommybuffano12

Rinkside
I have to agree with the comment below the article- if it would be a poor skating semi-acting then I pass on it. If it would be a story of an adolescent winning Oly and leaving sport for other opportunities- non-interested either. I need a solid real life based drama to get hooked.

Could not agree more. The drama in skating is real--it doesn't need to be scripted, just documented. The "Hard Knocks" HBO does and the NHL "Road to the Winter Classic" (sorry for football and hockey references) are wildly successful because we very rarely get a chance to look behind the curtain to see their personal relationships, hardships, etc. In such a judgemental sport where persona often needs precise crafting; the juxtaposition of a reality show highlighting their "authentic" self would be beyond fascinating.:luv17:

Layback11

Record Breaker
It's probably a hopeless wish, but I kind of need an ice dance show. :yes: it's so underappreciated that the exposure would be fantastic and expose it to a lot of people who wouldn't have watched it previously. And the DRAMA! There is so much source material to draw on...

However, if this is any good, I will eagerly watch it. :)

Barb

Record Breaker

Someone cast Joshua Farris, the boy is too beautiful and talented not to be in the spotlight.

The best idea, I wonder if is too difficult to act in a drama, the girl of ice castles (the new one), was not actress and she was decent.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I love Josh Farris :luv17:, and hope that he will receive any spotlight and opportunities that are appealing to him.

Just my opinion, but I would venture to guess that a scripted series like this one would not be appealing to Josh.

No question that Josh is as handsome as can be.
And no question that he has incredible creative talents -- for example, as a performer on ice; choreographer; and musician.

But I do not think that delivering scripted lines would be up Josh's alley. Just my opinion.

ETA: A more plausible idea (IMO) would be to ask Josh to choreograph whatever skating is shown in the series.​

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it would be fun to see real skaters, choregraphers or coaches do cameos as themselves in the show but not necessarily be the main actors.

With Tara producing, I would bet we see Johnny Weir at some point!

sarama

Medalist
It could be an opportunity for the sport to gain more fan base, so I'm all for it. That said I'm afraid it will be full of very cliché drama plots (as most Tv shows), just because that's what it takes to make a popular show (or so TV managers seem to think). Tessa and Scott's "documentary" was borderline creepy, but some figure skating films (although totally unrealistic) are enjoyable, so maybe it won't be too bad!
I think figure skating has a lot of potential for fictional work, and I always wondered why nobody was trying to fully exploit it...I'm just sad that it will be very Olympic-centric, since I would love for the general public to know that figure skating is so much more than the Olympics!

TMC

Record Breaker
For some reason I keep picturing this as a Friday Night Lights type of series. Early Morning Ice?

andromache

Record Breaker
If anyone here watched ABC Family's Make It or Break It, I think that show did a decent job of balancing the actual gymnastics with the ridiculous drama. Granted, I'm an every-four-years gymnastics fan and not a diehard fan, but whatever liberties were taken with the sport were far, far less than anything in any of The Cutting Edge movies, Ice Princess, and other really bad/still enjoyable figure skating movies.

And although none of the main actresses were actual gymnasts, the cuts between them and stunt doubles doing actual gymnastics were very, very well done. (Though I imagine it'd be more difficult with figure skating, as actors/actresses would be required to be at least able to do crossovers, spirals, and other more "basic" moves.