Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Disastrous Competitive Programs

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alexei Yagudin's 2001 Good Will Games SP... he hit his head on the boards... granted he stayed pretty much on his feet... but I don't think he was really into the program after that... it could have been worse though...

still, Mike Weiss beat him

Custom Title
    That's right, that SP from Yagudin at the 2001 Good Will Games has to be one of his worse performances ever. He didn't complete one of the three required jump elements. He crashed against the boards when he was landing the 4-3 (that would have been perfect and gorgeous if he had room to land it) and then went on to pop the triple axel. The lutz wasn't clean, he had a hand down and he was showing signs of tiredness while performing the footwork. He seemed like he was somewhere else. Finished third after Plushenko and Weiss in the beginning of the Olympic season. I believe he hadn't finished lower than second in any sort of competition since the Olympics in 1998.

His QR performance at 2001 Worlds was also a disaster, but he was injured, so I don't know if it counts. This is how his program began: opening pose, fall on the quad, popped quad, popped triple axel, fall on flying spin. He missed his first 4 elements in a row. He was the reigning World champion and he was placed 5th in his QR, going to the SP in the second to last warm-up group. I don't think know when was the last time he ever skated in a second warm-up group, but it must have been before he became a senior.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    I forget what year it was, but it was the splatfest world championships. He had a chance to win, after the other contenders splatted. He ended up in 4th, I believe. He was skating to Russian folk music, in this red outfit.
    That was Worlds 2000, in Nice. I can't watch that performance.

Laura :(

On the Ice
    Wow, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Elaine Zayak's long program at the 1982 Nationals in Indianapolis.....yikes!

Whenever I hear "disastrous programs," the first thing that comes to my mind is Tonya Harding in Lillehammer, with her foot propped up, pointing at her boot and sobbing. You could just hear millions of people groaning, cringing and watching through their fingers, wondering if it was some kind of horrid joke or a bad script.

I think that was her LP. She actually may have skated that program well; I don't remember. All I remember is the breakdown.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar

Tonya's Troubles

Both were "disasterous".

SP: she steped-out of her Lutz combo and 2 footed the flip. Well, not a melt-down per se, but certainly a disasterous SP for someone vying for gold. She was like 10th after that SP. Ouch!

LP: strated out bad with the wrong lace, and the lateness, etc...She poped the Lutz and then asked for a reskate. Her reskated LP with the correct lace was actually pretty good. She poped the 3axel to a single and had no 3/3, but it was about as good as she usually skated and pulled her up 2 spots.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Disaster...

I was thinking of Angela's FP during the 2002 Oly trials/nationals. She just bailed after missing the triple loop...

A/P's FP during this year's nationals was also fairly disasterous. It was as if she ran out of steam. In the beginning of her program.

Jonnycoop told me about the 1982 Worlds being horrible; that the leader didn't land a single thing. I think that would be considered disasterous (the leader of that competition went from 1st after the SP to 9th overall)

Custom Title

Next to skate....

Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    LP: strated out bad with the wrong lace, and the lateness, etc...She poped the Lutz and then asked for a reskate. Her reskated LP with the correct lace was actually pretty good. She poped the 3axel to a single and had no 3/3, but it was about as good as she usually skated and pulled her up 2 spots.
    This made me think of the skater who then was called to the ice earlier than expected - Josee Chouinard. She and coach Louis Stong were walking towards the ice expecting Tonya to be skating the last section of her program when she was told she had to get on the ice to warm up. This must have thrown her off since she missed the opening triple flip. I think she landed the lutz (I'll have to get my tape out to watch it later), but landed the next few jumps. Unfortunately, she ended the program with a fall on her triple toe. To her credit, she does not blame Tonya for the problems in her free skate.

A month later at Worlds, she had the same problems. She skated a nice short and was in third place with a chance to medal, but it wasn't to be. She fell a number of times and ended up in 5th.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Quote Originally Posted by hrmsk8ngnutt
    This made me think of the skater who then was called to the ice earlier than expected - Josee Chouinard. She and coach Louis Stong were walking towards the ice expecting Tonya to be skating the last section of her program when she was told she had to get on the ice to warm up. This must have thrown her off since she missed the opening triple flip. I think she landed the lutz (I'll have to get my tape out to watch it later), but landed the next few jumps. Unfortunately, she ended the program with a fall on her triple toe. To her credit, she does not blame Tonya for the problems in her free skate.

A month later at Worlds, she had the same problems. She skated a nice short and was in third place with a chance to medal, but it wasn't to be. She fell a number of times and ended up in 5th.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)
    Two other skaters followed Josee. One was Krisztina Czako; who was the one before Krisztina, but after Josee?

Custom Title
    Two other skaters followed Josee. One was Krisztina Czako; who was the one before Krisztina, but after Josee?
    Anna Rechnio or Lenka Kulovana?

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly
    Anna Rechnio or Lenka Kulovana?
    Wow. they were up that high in the standings?

Custom Title
    Rechnio was 9th in the short (ahead of Harding), and Kulovana was 11th; Czako was 12th.

Custom Title
    Mila Kajas was 10th in the long, but she couldn't pull up to top 10 overall.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    I forget what year it was, but it was the splatfest world championships. He had a chance to win, after the other contenders splatted. He ended up in 4th, I believe. He was skating to Russian folk music, in this red outfit.
    2000. He wasn't wearing red though (in the LP), he was wearing white & gold.

Rinkside
    I would add Watson and Oppergard's 1988 Worlds LP. She fell on a throw double zxel and then took a while to get up. There was about a minute of nothing going on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast