Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Disastrous Competitive Programs

Tripping on the Podium
    Emanuel Sandhu as certainly had his share of disastrous programs.
    One that stands out is Skate Canada 2001. He was 2nd after Alexei after the short and had a complete meltdown during his long. :o I was sure he was going to skate of the ice halfway through that program.....

K

SkateFan4Life
    At the 1991 World Championships, Midori Ito and Letitia Hubert collided during the warm-up for their short program. Ito sustained hip and foot injuries, but she was able to skate her short program. However, she miscalculated the distance going into the board as she set up her triple lutz/double toe combination, as well as the location of the rinkside television camera, and she jumped right out of the boards into the camera. Ouch!

The next day, Midori's injuries really kicked in, and she skated what was probably the most disastrous long program of her life. She fell on her triple axel, singled her triple flip, two-footed her triple lutz, and made other mistakes. She had been favored to win the 1991 World title, since this was the first Worlds
    in which the school figures were not included, and Ito's strengths were her free skating, not the school figures. Unfortuantely, Midori's mistakes left her in fourth place, out of the medals. I was so sorry for her!

Yes, another poster mentioned Nancy Kerrigan's disastrous long program at the 1993 Worlds. Nancy had won the short program and seemed poised to claim the World title, but she completely fell apart in her long program. One mistake led to another, and another, and another. Kerrigan looked positively stunned as she sat in the kiss 'n cry area and saw her low, but accurate, scores. She finished ninth in the long program and fell from first to fifth overall.

Custom Title
    Sasha Cohen 2001 SA lp

SkateFan4Life
    American skater Jill Trenary had several disastrous competitive performances. One, in particular, was the long program at the 1989 Skate America competition.
    Jill simply could not buy a triple jump. She stumbled, tripped, and fell through her entire program. Yet, she still received decent marks, in the low to mid 5's, and she won the silver medal in that competition. Tonya Harding skated a bold and powerful long program and won the gold medal.

At the 1991 Skate Canada competition, Trenary re-entered the eligible competitive scene, having missed the 1991 season due to ankle surgery and a long recovery. Unfortunately for Jill, she again could not buy a triple jump. She fell on everything, and by the time she finished her program, her facial expression was one of shock and disbelief.

Not long after that, Trenary turned professional.

SkateFan4Life
    American skater Priscilla Hill had won the silver medal at the 1981 US Nationals behind Elaine Zayak, and she (Hill) went on to finish a respectable seventh at the 1981 World Championships. While Hill's primary strength was the school figures, she was a competent and pleasant free skater.

Unfortunately, at the 1982 US Nationals, Priscilla suffered a near-total long program meltdown. Skating to the inspiring theme from "Chariots of Fire", Hill proceeded to fall on jump after jump after jump, and she finished out of the medals and did not qualify for the World team. It was a very sad moment for Priscilla, and I felt so sorry for her!

A few years later, I had the pleasure of seeing Priscilla skate in Ice Capades.
    She was one of the featured skaters, and she skated a very, very nice routine.

And, of course, now she's the coach of US men's champion Johnny Weir.
    All the best to you, Priscilla!

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    American skater Priscilla Hill had won the silver medal at the 1981 US Nationals behind Elaine Zayak, and she (Hill) went on to finish a respectable seventh at the 1981 World Championships. While Hill's primary strength was the school figures, she was a competent and pleasant free skater.

Unfortunately, at the 1982 US Nationals, Priscilla suffered a near-total long program meltdown. Skating to the inspiring theme from "Chariots of Fire", Hill proceeded to fall on jump after jump after jump, and she finished out of the medals and did not qualify for the World team. It was a very sad moment for Priscilla, and I felt so sorry for her!

A few years later, I had the pleasure of seeing Priscilla skate in Ice Capades.
    She was one of the featured skaters, and she skated a very, very nice routine.

And, of course, now she's the coach of US men's champion Johnny Weir.
    All the best to you, Priscilla!

Was that Priscilla Hill who did that, or Sandy Lenz? Sandy Lenz used the same music, incidentally (one year), and bombed her FS as well at Nationals...

Custom Title
    Nancy had an extremely disasterous LP in Prague, but her World Silver medal winning LP in Oakland in 1992 was not that much better. She made numerous mistakes and "Born on the 4th of July" didn't have that same elegant quality that it had had a year earlier in Munich. I was shocked to see her with a silver medal. But, everybody else had a meltdown of sorts too, so I guess she deserved it. Still, it was one of the worst World medal winning performances I can remember and I would dub it a disaster.

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd
    Sasha Cohen's LP at the last GPF comes to mind. After she fell on the third jump in a row, my mom and I stopped watching

Idk if this was an actual programme or just practice, but at the last Worlds that Obertas/Palamarchuk skated at, he caught an edge as they were going up for a lift and fell back and was knocked unconscious (she was ok, but was sobbing hysterically afterwards)

Nicole Bobek's SP at the '98 Olys. I just remember it was really painful to watch, the only jump she landed was a 2axel, and she finished 17th, which was so sad after her comeback to earn a spot at Nats and the death of Carlo Fossi

Plushy at the 2004 Euros...the initial fall on the 3axel was bad enough, but what made it worse was the fact that he kept trying it over and over and changing the choreography

Galina Maniachenko at the last SA, I think; she only landed one trip

And finally, pick any pairs team from the Pairs final at the 2004 US Nats...good night, that was awful!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    And finally, pick any pairs team from the Pairs final at the 2004 US Nats...good night, that was awful!
    Do you mean 2003 or 2004? IIRC, 2003 actually drew blood in the pairs competition with 2 teams (Stiegler & Stiegler, and Inoue & Baldwin). That was also the disaster with the men's competition. It all just seemed to go from bad to worse. It was like the building was cursed.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    i don't remember this myself, but i heard that liz manley had a meltdown in the 87 worlds, when she skated to gigi....

Several people mentioned Nancy Kerrigan's '92 and '93 Worlds LPs as disasters. Here is what she landed at both events:

1992 Worlds: 2axel, 2flip, 3toe/3toe(unclean landing on 2nd jump), 3salchow, 2lutz, 3loop(fall), walley jump/3salchow.

She only landed 3 triples and her jumps were the easier ones. On the harder jumps -- the loop, lutz and flip -- she either doubled them or fell. A borderline disaster.

1993 Worlds: 3flip(hand down), 1lutz, walley jump/3salchow(two-footed), 3toe/3toe, 2lutz, 2salchow, 2axel.

An utter disaster, other than the 3/3 she did nothing right. It reminded me of Carolina Kostner at 2004 Worlds, who landed a 3/3/2 but skated like crap otherwise. Both ladies finished 5th overall. Nancy was understandably humiliated by this skate.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alexei Yagudin's 2001 Good Will Games SP... he hit his head on the boards... granted he stayed pretty much on his feet... but I don't think he was really into the program after that... it could have been worse though...still, Mike Weiss beat him
    Well, I guess anyone could have beaten him after bashing his head into the boards; sitting in the K&C wiping blood off the wound. If I were Michael Weiss, I sure wouldn't chalk that up as a win.

Dee

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    i don't remember this myself, but i heard that liz manley had a meltdown in the 87 worlds, when she skated to gigi....
    Liz was in 4th place (behind Kira Ivanova who won the figures, Katarina Witt-5th in figures and 1st in short, and Debi Thomas-2nd in figures but 7th in the short after botching the double axel) going into the long program. She had actually finished second in the short behind Katarina. Liz skated right after Caryn Kadavy, who had a great performance in which she landed 4 triples. Liz skated to a medley that had 'The Night They Invented Champagne' from Gigi, 'Send In the Clowns', and 'When the Saints Go Marching In'. She opened with a high double axel. She then had a triple salchow planned, but you could see she was tilted and it was only a double. Her next jump was the triple lutz (she was the only skater in the final group attempting this). She looked fine going up, but ending up sitting down. I'll have to get out my tape to watch it again. She ended up landing only 1 triple - a triple toe. She was so disappointed after her performance that she did not stay in the kiss and cry to see her marks. :( Scott Hamilton said afterwards that the performance wasn't representative of what she had been doing in practice all week and she would be a threat the next year. Boy, was he right.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    Was that Priscilla Hill who did that, or Sandy Lenz? Sandy Lenz used the same music, incidentally (one year), and bombed her FS as well at Nationals...
    Yes, it absolutely was Priscilla Hill who skated a disastrous long program to the soundtrack of "Chariots of Fire" at the 1982 US Nationals. Sandy Lenz turned pro after the 1980 Winter Olympics (she had won the bronze medal at the 1980 US Nationals and earned a spot on the US Olympic team). After her freeskate, Priscilla was consoled by Dick Button. He showed a great deal of compassion for her, I thought, and he wished her well for the future. That was the end of Hill's eligible career.

The 1982 US Nationals was the scene for another disastrous ladies' long program. Reigning US champion Elaine Zayak fell three times - something that was absolutely unheard of for her. (On the other hand, she had not skated well at the 1981 Skate America competition, and she clearly was having technical problems). Zayak only won the bronze medal at 1982 Nationals. I remember when the medals were awarded that Elaine did not appear on the rink for several long minutes. It was a horrible moment for her.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    Well, I guess anyone could have beaten him after bashing his head into the boards; sitting in the K&C wiping blood off the wound. If I were Michael Weiss, I sure wouldn't chalk that up as a win.
    Well, in that case, how about the judges just award the medals without bothering to watch the programs? They can just award the medals to those with the best reputations or even the best practices.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast