Disastrous Competitive Programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Disastrous Competitive Programs

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Tonya's Troubles

Both were "disasterous".

SP: she steped-out of her Lutz combo and 2 footed the flip. Well, not a melt-down per se, but certainly a disasterous SP for someone vying for gold. She was like 10th after that SP. Ouch!

LP: strated out bad with the wrong lace, and the lateness, etc...She poped the Lutz and then asked for a reskate. Her reskated LP with the correct lace was actually pretty good. She poped the 3axel to a single and had no 3/3, but it was about as good as she usually skated and pulled her up 2 spots.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Disaster...

I was thinking of Angela's FP during the 2002 Oly trials/nationals. She just bailed after missing the triple loop...

A/P's FP during this year's nationals was also fairly disasterous. It was as if she ran out of steam. In the beginning of her program.

Jonnycoop told me about the 1982 Worlds being horrible; that the leader didn't land a single thing. I think that would be considered disasterous (the leader of that competition went from 1st after the SP to 9th overall)

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Next to skate....

berthes ghost said:
LP: strated out bad with the wrong lace, and the lateness, etc...She poped the Lutz and then asked for a reskate. Her reskated LP with the correct lace was actually pretty good. She poped the 3axel to a single and had no 3/3, but it was about as good as she usually skated and pulled her up 2 spots.
This made me think of the skater who then was called to the ice earlier than expected - Josee Chouinard. She and coach Louis Stong were walking towards the ice expecting Tonya to be skating the last section of her program when she was told she had to get on the ice to warm up. This must have thrown her off since she missed the opening triple flip. I think she landed the lutz (I'll have to get my tape out to watch it later), but landed the next few jumps. Unfortunately, she ended the program with a fall on her triple toe. To her credit, she does not blame Tonya for the problems in her free skate.

A month later at Worlds, she had the same problems. She skated a nice short and was in third place with a chance to medal, but it wasn't to be. She fell a number of times and ended up in 5th.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
hrmsk8ngnutt said:
This made me think of the skater who then was called to the ice earlier than expected - Josee Chouinard. She and coach Louis Stong were walking towards the ice expecting Tonya to be skating the last section of her program when she was told she had to get on the ice to warm up. This must have thrown her off since she missed the opening triple flip. I think she landed the lutz (I'll have to get my tape out to watch it later), but landed the next few jumps. Unfortunately, she ended the program with a fall on her triple toe. To her credit, she does not blame Tonya for the problems in her free skate.

A month later at Worlds, she had the same problems. She skated a nice short and was in third place with a chance to medal, but it wasn't to be. She fell a number of times and ended up in 5th.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Two other skaters followed Josee. One was Krisztina Czako; who was the one before Krisztina, but after Josee?

gkelly

Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove said:
Two other skaters followed Josee. One was Krisztina Czako; who was the one before Krisztina, but after Josee?

Anna Rechnio or Lenka Kulovana?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Rechnio was 9th in the short (ahead of Harding), and Kulovana was 11th; Czako was 12th.

icenut84

Final Flight
thisthingcalledlove said:
I forget what year it was, but it was the splatfest world championships. He had a chance to win, after the other contenders splatted. He ended up in 4th, I believe. He was skating to Russian folk music, in this red outfit.

2000. He wasn't wearing red though (in the LP), he was wearing white & gold.

JockProf

Rinkside
I would add Watson and Oppergard's 1988 Worlds LP. She fell on a throw double zxel and then took a while to get up. There was about a minute of nothing going on.

KMK0902

On the Ice
Emanuel Sandhu as certainly had his share of disastrous programs. :cry:
One that stands out is Skate Canada 2001. He was 2nd after Alexei after the short and had a complete meltdown during his long. :eek: I was sure he was going to skate of the ice halfway through that program.....

K

S

SkateFan4Life

At the 1991 World Championships, Midori Ito and Letitia Hubert collided during the warm-up for their short program. Ito sustained hip and foot injuries, but she was able to skate her short program. However, she miscalculated the distance going into the board as she set up her triple lutz/double toe combination, as well as the location of the rinkside television camera, and she jumped right out of the boards into the camera. Ouch!

The next day, Midori's injuries really kicked in, and she skated what was probably the most disastrous long program of her life. She fell on her triple axel, singled her triple flip, two-footed her triple lutz, and made other mistakes. She had been favored to win the 1991 World title, since this was the first Worlds
in which the school figures were not included, and Ito's strengths were her free skating, not the school figures. Unfortuantely, Midori's mistakes left her in fourth place, out of the medals. I was so sorry for her!

Yes, another poster mentioned Nancy Kerrigan's disastrous long program at the 1993 Worlds. Nancy had won the short program and seemed poised to claim the World title, but she completely fell apart in her long program. One mistake led to another, and another, and another. Kerrigan looked positively stunned as she sat in the kiss 'n cry area and saw her low, but accurate, scores. She finished ninth in the long program and fell from first to fifth overall.

S

SkateFan4Life

American skater Jill Trenary had several disastrous competitive performances. One, in particular, was the long program at the 1989 Skate America competition.
Jill simply could not buy a triple jump. She stumbled, tripped, and fell through her entire program. Yet, she still received decent marks, in the low to mid 5's, and she won the silver medal in that competition. Tonya Harding skated a bold and powerful long program and won the gold medal.

At the 1991 Skate Canada competition, Trenary re-entered the eligible competitive scene, having missed the 1991 season due to ankle surgery and a long recovery. Unfortunately for Jill, she again could not buy a triple jump. She fell on everything, and by the time she finished her program, her facial expression was one of shock and disbelief.

Not long after that, Trenary turned professional.

S

SkateFan4Life

American skater Priscilla Hill had won the silver medal at the 1981 US Nationals behind Elaine Zayak, and she (Hill) went on to finish a respectable seventh at the 1981 World Championships. While Hill's primary strength was the school figures, she was a competent and pleasant free skater.

Unfortunately, at the 1982 US Nationals, Priscilla suffered a near-total long program meltdown. Skating to the inspiring theme from "Chariots of Fire", Hill proceeded to fall on jump after jump after jump, and she finished out of the medals and did not qualify for the World team. It was a very sad moment for Priscilla, and I felt so sorry for her!

A few years later, I had the pleasure of seeing Priscilla skate in Ice Capades.
She was one of the featured skaters, and she skated a very, very nice routine.

And, of course, now she's the coach of US men's champion Johnny Weir.
All the best to you, Priscilla!

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
American skater Priscilla Hill had won the silver medal at the 1981 US Nationals behind Elaine Zayak, and she (Hill) went on to finish a respectable seventh at the 1981 World Championships. While Hill's primary strength was the school figures, she was a competent and pleasant free skater.

Unfortunately, at the 1982 US Nationals, Priscilla suffered a near-total long program meltdown. Skating to the inspiring theme from "Chariots of Fire", Hill proceeded to fall on jump after jump after jump, and she finished out of the medals and did not qualify for the World team. It was a very sad moment for Priscilla, and I felt so sorry for her!

A few years later, I had the pleasure of seeing Priscilla skate in Ice Capades.
She was one of the featured skaters, and she skated a very, very nice routine.

And, of course, now she's the coach of US men's champion Johnny Weir.
All the best to you, Priscilla!

Was that Priscilla Hill who did that, or Sandy Lenz? Sandy Lenz used the same music, incidentally (one year), and bombed her FS as well at Nationals...

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Nancy had an extremely disasterous LP in Prague, but her World Silver medal winning LP in Oakland in 1992 was not that much better. She made numerous mistakes and "Born on the 4th of July" didn't have that same elegant quality that it had had a year earlier in Munich. I was shocked to see her with a silver medal. But, everybody else had a meltdown of sorts too, so I guess she deserved it. Still, it was one of the worst World medal winning performances I can remember and I would dub it a disaster.

Matt

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen's LP at the last GPF comes to mind. After she fell on the third jump in a row, my mom and I stopped watching

Idk if this was an actual programme or just practice, but at the last Worlds that Obertas/Palamarchuk skated at, he caught an edge as they were going up for a lift and fell back and was knocked unconscious (she was ok, but was sobbing hysterically afterwards)

Nicole Bobek's SP at the '98 Olys. I just remember it was really painful to watch, the only jump she landed was a 2axel, and she finished 17th, which was so sad after her comeback to earn a spot at Nats and the death of Carlo Fossi

Plushy at the 2004 Euros...the initial fall on the 3axel was bad enough, but what made it worse was the fact that he kept trying it over and over and changing the choreography

Galina Maniachenko at the last SA, I think; she only landed one trip

And finally, pick any pairs team from the Pairs final at the 2004 US Nats...good night, that was awful!

mpal2

Final Flight
Matt said:
And finally, pick any pairs team from the Pairs final at the 2004 US Nats...good night, that was awful!

Do you mean 2003 or 2004? IIRC, 2003 actually drew blood in the pairs competition with 2 teams (Stiegler & Stiegler, and Inoue & Baldwin). That was also the disaster with the men's competition. It all just seemed to go from bad to worse. It was like the building was cursed.