2016-17 Ills and Injuries | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Ills and Injuries

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was watching the test skates for Kavaguti and Smirnov. Sadly they may not be able to come back it looks like. I know it is just me but the last two years in pairs and men's the push for tech in my opinion has not helped skating and I really wonder about the increase in injuries (add to that the top ladies many are barely 15 or 16 and has beens at 18 and 19. I guess this is what they call development???? When your favourite skater or team gets injured because of pushing too hard or doing tricks too hard on the body I wonder what people will say or feel. I know I sound like I am pro beauty of the sport but it just seems the push is too hard - its like when you start an exercise you don't just go bang into the activity or you risk an injury - too much of a jolt so you rip or tear something. So Nathan, boyang, Shomo and even the wonderful Hanyu and all life might be wonderful now but as soon as age or those injuries hit you might not be so thrilled. People thought Duhamel and Radford pushed the sport too much but look at the rest - everyone trying quad throws, twists and bigger triple solo jumps and combos. I know it is a sport but I fear we will see someone injured seriously and we may then say who maybe we need to rethink this. I think of the Zhang's and their olympic silver medal - some called it bravery after she fell on the throw quad salchow. It was too a point but it was pushing maybe the sport too much and there was not enough of a penalty for that huge delay - with it they still got silver and we are not talking a few seconds. I fear we may see many of our faves and skaters in general get injuries and some may be very serious and or traumatic.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I was watching the test skates for Kavaguti and Smirnov. Sadly they may not be able to come back it looks like. I know it is just me but the last two years in pairs and men's the push for tech in my opinion has not helped skating and I really wonder about the increase in injuries (add to that the top ladies many are barely 15 or 16 and has beens at 18 and 19. I guess this is what they call development???? When your favourite skater or team gets injured because of pushing too hard or doing tricks too hard on the body I wonder what people will say or feel. I know I sound like I am pro beauty of the sport but it just seems the push is too hard - its like when you start an exercise you don't just go bang into the activity or you risk an injury - too much of a jolt so you rip or tear something. So Nathan, boyang, Shomo and even the wonderful Hanyu and all life might be wonderful now but as soon as age or those injuries hit you might not be so thrilled. People thought Duhamel and Radford pushed the sport too much but look at the rest - everyone trying quad throws, twists and bigger triple solo jumps and combos. I know it is a sport but I fear we will see someone injured seriously and we may then say who maybe we need to rethink this. I think of the Zhang's and their olympic silver medal - some called it bravery after she fell on the throw quad salchow. It was too a point but it was pushing maybe the sport too much and there was not enough of a penalty for that huge delay - with it they still got silver and we are not talking a few seconds. I fear we may see many of our faves and skaters in general get injuries and some may be very serious and or traumatic.

I can't agree more Skater Boy. I saw Trankov took a hearty beating for having expressed his opinion against a quad throw, and many people see me as an "overprotective mother hen" because all of my favourite skaters happen to be struggling with quads. But just look at what is happening in the last couple of seasons - I also fear, if this trend continues many might end up like Plushenko, and starting at much younger age. It has been heartbreaking to see a bright career of Joshua Farris has gotten cut short, and Adian Pitkeev is in danger of a similar fate at this moment. The problem is jumps in skating do not provide any suspension, like many other sports which require jumping and jolting do. You land on a hard, unyielding ice with a hard, unyielding blade. It is hardly surprising when you think about it. I do fully understand the argument that figure skating is a "sport" above anything else and it must evolve forward, but at the risk of damaging the health of young, talented athletes? Is jumping everything when "technical, athletic" elements of the sport is concerned? Ok, I threw in my two cents and I scramble down from the soap box...

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I've been saying this on this board ad nauseam. The goal for the most quads, etc. is going to ruin many a good young skater. I think they need something like the Zayak rule to apply to the number of quads in a program. These young men are ruining their legs, their ankles and their backs trying to keep up. I'm totally with Skaterboy and MGStyle on this subject.:agree:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Any news on Kevin Reynolds, Kaetlyn Osmond, Caroline Zhang, Kavaguti, Edmonds, that Russian pairs skater with the eating disorder,

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Caroline Zhang injured? She competed at Golden West a few weeks ago and looked fine.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Any news on Kevin Reynolds, Kaetlyn Osmond, Caroline Zhang, Kavaguti, Edmonds, that Russian pairs skater with the eating disorder,

Is Caroline Zhang injured? She competed at Golden West a few weeks ago and looked fine.

:agree: Agree, apgold. I think Skater Boy is trying to do some catching up regarding a number of skaters.
Thanks to you, he can check Caroline off his list :).

Skater Boy, my recap (from two days ago) of promising news re Polina Edmunds is in the U.S. Ladies thread:
(IIRC, IN also had yet another recent article about her new programs, which I did not look up or link to in the other thread.)

If you want to look around, I believe other threads have had good news about Reynolds, Osmond, and Kavaguti as well ... mentioning in case no one responds to you here.

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

Kevin is scheduled to compete in Ondrej Nepela Memorial in two week's time. I am both thrilled and anxious for him, I hope he can come back in 100% form!!
Julia Antipova, the pair skater who suffered anorexia a couple of years ago has been cured and now healthy, but she had been in a serious condition, it will take some time for her to get back to a competitive form, IF she does decide to come back though...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

No I saw her performances there but I wanted to know in fact most of these skaters are back but just how good are they? Are there some still hurt or mending - does that makesense.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
:agree: Agree, apgold. I think Skater Boy is trying to do some catching up regarding a number of skaters.
Thanks to you, he can check Caroline off his list :).

Skater Boy, my recap (from two days ago) of promising news re Polina Edmunds is in the U.S. Ladies thread:
(IIRC, IN also had yet another recent article about her new programs, which I did not look up or link to in the other thread.)

If you want to look around, I believe other threads have had good news about Reynolds, Osmond, and Kavaguti as well ... mentioning in case no one responds to you here.

Thanks - I am just eager to get the low down lol - more than the results because there is skating and there is skating.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Sui has started training after her surgery and rehabilitation. I don't think she can jump yet. She and Han will most likely begin their season at the Sapporo Asian Winter Games in February next year.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sui has started training after her surgery and rehabilitation. I don't think she can jump yet. She and Han will most likely begin their season at the Sapporo Asian Winter Games in February next year.

For some reason, Chinese Fed still didin't pulled them out off Cup of China....

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
For some reason, Chinese Fed still didin't pulled them out off Cup of China....

I think it is just a mere formality to take them out from the list. I presume Wang/Wang will take the spot as they have only one GP assignment.