Nice Interview with Averbukh | Golden Skate

Nice Interview with Averbukh

J

Joesitz

Re: Nice Interview with Averbukh

Thanks Doris - He doesn't come across as such an egoist as he did in the previous one discussed in this forum. I think proper translations are not easy to find.

His comparison of North American style v.Russian style was interesting. Much of N.A style in ballet could be compared the same way. The way ballet is danced today there is no regional style. Both sides of the world have taken the best of whatever is out there. The big difference, imo, is that Western Europe and NA have grown in choreography while Russia is still in 19th century ballet. They are trying, though.

Joe

L

LAVENDER

Was this interview before or after worlds?

P

Ptichka

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The big difference, imo, is that Western Europe and NA have grown in choreography while Russia is still in 19th century ballet.[/quote]
Joe, have you seen any ballet by Eiffman? He gives several performances in NYC every year. You may or may not like his style (I personally love it), but it is definitely NOT 19th Cenutry.

Another example is the ballet of Roman Viktuk. Now, I personally really hate it, but it's anything but 19th Century.

Also, when the Kirov company was showing Balanchine's "Jewels" in Lincoln Center this past summer, I thought it was very interesting. It was not a straight forward copy of how New York City Ballet does it, but their unique interpretations.

Unfortunately, since I haven't lived in Russia in a VERY long time, I can only site examples that tour in the US (and I don't even get to see everything here, since I live in Boston and don't go to NY for EVERY SINGLE performance I want to see). I am sure there are really a lot more.

E

Excidra2001

Before worlds. Interesting interview.

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">That's why he doesn't come across as the egotist he comes off as in the interview AFTER World's!</span> :lol: ;) 0]

S

SugarCranberry

I think his comment about Natalia Dubova is very unfair, especially when he compared her with Natalia Linichuk. Linichuk, indeed, had more success while living in the US. However all her achievements have to do with the Russian skaters who she started training in Russia and brought to US. Dubova had success with Canadian pair which shows she is the one who can adapt to the new culture.

J

Joesitz

Ptichka - What I am saying is that the two worlds of ballet are coming together. I believe that's what Aubach was saying was also about figure skating dance. I also credit the Russians for Pairs as well, and the Canadians are going a step higher. the field belongs to no particular country, imo, anymore. Technique is what is called for and we owe that to the Russians.

As for Eifman, Anthony Tudor was doing that stuff back in the forties (even before my time and before the Russians visited the USA).

The Kirov (or Maryinsky) is the basis for USA if not the entire Western Europe ballet. Fokine and Ballanchine come out of that group. The Kirov was the Lyrical company while the Bolshoi was the more bravura highly technical company. The Bolshoi made a decided difference in American Ballet after their debut in NYC.

I don't know anything about Roman Viktuk but I would surely like to see his work. Again Eifman only exists because of the fall of the USSR but for the western world it wasn't overwhelming.

How is the Boston Ballet doing? It's a major company, I believe as so many USA regional ballets have become.

Cheers - Joe