Forwards/Backwards Lessons & Practices, 7/12-1/18 | Golden Skate

Forwards/Backwards Lessons & Practices, 7/12-1/18

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Yippee, back on ice after a luverly time on Grand Bahama Island.

Backward: Just me at first, a bit stiff, took me a moment to get my skates under me.

Forward: Everything else--literally! We worked on forward stroking, crossovers, perimeter stroking and outside and inside swing rolls. All went pretty swimmingly, and it was a good way to get back on ice and stretch my skating muscles.

So--How's YOUR skating week going so far? :)

Figureskates

On the Ice
Just got back from my lesson about 15 minutes ago.

Forwards: Worked on Prelim Moves elements: Crossovers in an figure eight pattern were strong and quiet, not the usual scratch. Aternating 3's are much improved, though could use a little more power and wait a little longer to do the 3 turn at the top of the lobe. :)

Backwards: Atlernating inside 3's...yuck. Definitely need more work here! I still need more control and consistency. :mad:

Miscellaneous: Proceeded to trip on my toepicks...what's up with that!! :eek:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Alternating 3's are challenging. I am working on adult silver, and the alt 3's still get me sometimes. Just keep working on them and when all else fails, bend those knees!

I am helping out with skate camp this week at our rink, so I am not doing much skating. It is fun to help out up and coming skaters and being supportive of them is rewarding.

Happy skating this week!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
dhl: Vaykay was wonderful. We were on Grand Bahama Island for 9 days, enjoying sunshine, good food, good company and much relaxation. Hubby went diving almost every day, and I went snorkeling twice off the dive boat on shallow reefs. One afternoon I was the only snorkeler--it was like having ice to myself. Very peaceful, just me and the fishes and coral and other critters--very, very relaxing.

Of course, now I'm back home to horrendous weather!!! :(

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Snort...it took me a minute to figure out how you skated in the Bahamas...then my brain kicked in... :p

It sounds so nice...sign me up, I need an ocean fix, and some diving would be nice.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Glacier: Sorry, no ice in the Bahamas, aside from maybe in your Bahama Mama! :love:

Do you scuba dive? I can't, asthma and sinus problems, but I love to snorkel. My second favorite sport next to skating.

Figureskates

On the Ice
Ah Glacier, you sound just like my coach!!

That is her one criticsm of my alternating 3's...not enough knee bend. She sez more knee bend will help me skate through the turn. The outside 3's are not bad since I have fairly decent knee bend. The problem is the inside 3's. I have a harder time getting the ole knees to bend. Just time and practice.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Today we worked on back crossovers. I've determined I'm going to use them as my warm-up from now on. Coach kept watching and pointing out if I didn't tuck my hip correctly or wasn't leaning back enough (staying upright). They're still scratchy, but light years better than before--they have flow, now, no more crossover-stop, crossover-stop. Little by little!! :D

We took apart the footwork program with some of the improvements she helped me with on swing rolls, slides, etc. since it goes for one final exhibition next month. I was very pleased. With all we've worked on, I never skated it better than I did today. Hope that holds for the exhibition.

Next week, we look at some music for what may be my first USFS program. Aston Iceworks down near the Delaware border is holding the Adult "Halloween Classic" on Halloween weekend, and we believe they're going to have a category for beginner (no-test) adults. If so, I think I'm going to compete. There is no info or application up yet, I'll post a link as soon as its available.