2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating

Skatergal101

On the Ice
The referee is supposed to stop the skater. The skater gets a deduction for stopping themselves. It is the job of the ref to stop the skater when something goes wrong. I am a novice level judge so yes I know the rules!

mrrice

Record Breaker
The referee is supposed to stop the skater. The skater gets a deduction for stopping themselves. It is the job of the ref to stop the skater when something goes wrong. I am a novice level judge so yes I know the rules!

This is correct. This happened to Irina Slutskaya at Worlds in 2001. Her music started and then stopped during the opening 3 seconds. You can see the REF call her over to the table and then she goes back and restarts. In Jazz Dance Competitions, it's the same way. If the music stops, the captain will count the routine until the announcer calls for the team to stop. Only then, can they restart. It's not always easy. If a group is using props of any kind, they all have to be reset and that takes time. I'll look for an example. BRB

Here's Irina's Re-Start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkmGeSIe4tA

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olivia Gran did well enough at the JGP in St. Gervais to move up from 12th in the SP to 9th after the FS. She landed a good 3z in the FS, but struggled with the edge jumps: she fell on the loop in both SP and FS, and put a hand down on both salchows in the FS. She had to have been really nervous, but all in all, good job!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and gabby is at nebelhornright? so yeah... it would make sense... i wanna see alaine... do you think she's put the 3A away for a while? she didn't attempt it this summer if I recall correctly
Osmond gets Finland I'm assuming alaine will get autumn classic?!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Should I be surprised that Kaetlyn got the assignment to Finlandia over Alaine? I think I need to start accepting that she is Skate Canada's golden girl.

hohoho

On the Ice
Should I be surprised that Kaetlyn got the assignment to Finlandia over Alaine? I think I need to start accepting that she is Skate Canada's golden girl.

I think the skaters request which event they would like to do. Kaetlyn has already done and win Nebelhorn twice. I would think she requested Finland especially with Worlds there this year. Maybe Alaine requested a different competition.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finlandia is in Espoo, Worlds in Helsinki---not quite the same place.

But---Skate Canada hasn't sent singles skaters to Finlandia in the last 6 years, so perhaps Kaetlyn wanted to be the first.

OTOH, Alaine seems to skate her best on home ice, so maybe the Autumn Classic is the best choice for her.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
As national champion Alaine deserved a chance to compete in Finland. But it may be that her family wanted to see her, and that would be easier to do in Montreal than Finland.

My comment was more in reference to tiers. I am beginning to see the way SC is classifying skaters. 4everchan noticed it too in another thread. :eek:hwell: As long as they get a chance to compete before the GP series starts then it doesn't matter much.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well i am glad i will get to see alaine's funky spins live ;)

but i would have loved to see kaetlyn too, for her star power and gabby for her 3t-3t... that thing must be impressive live...

what i still don't understand (sorry, OT) is why SC has just 2 men lined up for autumn classic... they can send 3... are they waiting to disclose another name later? did someone decide not to go anymore? is there a deadline for signing up?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
well i am glad i will get to see alaine's funky spins live ;)

but i would have loved to see kaetlyn too, for her star power and gabby for her 3t-3t... that thing must be impressive live...

what i still don't understand (sorry, OT) is why SC has just 2 men lined up for autumn classic... they can send 3... are they waiting to disclose another name later? did someone decide not to go anymore? is there a deadline for signing up?

:hijacked: Who do you think the third guy would be? Kevin? He may be sent somewhere else. Shaquille Davis is injured and WD from the FS at Thornhill. (Should we start a Canadian men's thread?)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
gimme chiddy :) hahahaahahah but yeah kevin would be cool... but they just gave him SC.... i don't think we need a canadian man thread .... not like there's much to discuss yet is there? unless we want to talk about coaching changes and injuries.... Nam+Liam+ Patrick... all with new coaches....
:hijacked: Who do you think the third guy would be? Kevin? He may be sent somewhere else. Shaquille Davis is injured and WD from the FS at Thornhill. (Should we start a Canadian men's thread?)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
gimme chiddy :) hahahaahahah but yeah kevin would be cool... but they just gave him SC.... i don't think we need a canadian man thread .... not like there's much to discuss yet is there? unless we want to talk about coaching changes and injuries.... Nam+Liam+ Patrick... all with new coaches....

Chiddy will likely be sent to Finlandia, if he wants to do a CS event. That's the big ticket event with Worlds in Finland. Kevin is the only guy left. There is also Nepela for him to go to if SC wants.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think they need to give kevin as many chances as possible to reach tes minimum....
Chiddy will likely be sent to Finlandia, if he wants to do a CS event. That's the big ticket event with Worlds in Finland. Kevin is the only guy left. There is also Nepela for him to go to if SC wants.

Skatergal101

On the Ice
As national champion Alaine deserved a chance to compete in Finland. But it may be that her family wanted to see her, and that would be easier to do in Montreal than Finland.

My comment was more in reference to tiers. I am beginning to see the way SC is classifying skaters. 4everchan noticed it too in another thread. :eek:hwell: As long as they get a chance to compete before the GP series starts then it doesn't matter much.
I feel like it's also cheaper for them to take their trailer to Montreal, perhaps. But who knows! Maybe they feel kaetlyn needs more experience internationally.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I want to know if any of the top 3 ladies will be at Challenge. Gabby went last year and it helped her. Challenge really is a mini-Nationals in some ways.