2 5.41%
  • 01 SP

1 2.70%
  • Other

4 10.81%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fave Sale & Pelletier programme

Custom Title
    An S-P poll and I never saw it....Houston we have a problem!

There is not such word as favourite program for S/P, imo...everyone of their programs has something special and S/P-ish. I have three special ones:

1. Come Fly with Me - as close as possible to the classic dance icons - Fred & Ginger but on ice. Plus I like Chris's choreography.

2. Tristan and Isolde - they are Tristan and Isolde

3. Love Story - It is not my favourite in terms of skating but it is top three because it is all Jamie and David.

Honourable: Orchids - because it has the potential to beat all their other programs. I wish they had used it in another year other than the olympics year. Then maybe it would have been perfect.

Custom Title
    Show, I'm with you. Orchid is their forgotten gem of a program. Like all of the great pairs programs, i.e. City Lights, Moonlight Sonata, etc, etc, it was like art on ice.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    I have to agree that Orchid is such an overlooked program of J&Ds. It was simply exquisite and it would have been quite interesting to see them skate that in SLC. In light of how awful a time they had at Canadians with it though (sadly, the last ever skate they did of that program was one of their very worst performances ever as a team), I am kinda glad they chose LS for the Olys for the comfort level and the helping keep their nerves in check that that program gave them there. That said, I do wish I had gotten a chance to see Orchid more often that season. What a beautiful program. And you can't often go wrong with a good Rachmaninoff piece for your music!!

Rinkside
    Hehe.....any excuse to prolong a S&P thread. :D

Like bleuchick, I find it hard to say that I have a definitive fave, but I chose WWTLF becaused it showed their amazing versatility and proved that, yes, they can do more than flirty/playful/romantic. I also love Come Fly With Me for its dancey, carefree feel, and the way they stay faithful to the unique feel of this type of song.....a wistful sort of elegance, a joy and innocence of a bygone era. And the lifts! They're incorporated so unobtrusively into the program, and I always admire how easy they make those look. As for Love Story, well, this program has a lot of baggage that comes with it, but if people saw this program for what it is, without too much preconceptions, it's a fine, fine piece of work. There is the simple but effective (and even moving) music that is edited to present the bare bones of a tragic love story, a choreography that fills out the story in evocative, simple strokes, and a pair of skaters who brought the whole story to life by the incredible passion with which they skated the program. They laid themselves bare emotionally. So what if their vehicle was Love Story instead of some classic, music-with-pedigree? Emotional honesty is emotional honesty, and it shines through anything. I believe this is what makes Love Story special, and what make it enduring--the emotion. I've never seen anything like it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Exupery
    Hehe.....any excuse to prolong a S&P thread. :D

Like bleuchick, I find it hard to say that I have a definitive fave, but I chose WWTLF becaused it showed their amazing versatility and proved that, yes, they can do more than flirty/playful/romantic. I also love Come Fly With Me for its dancey, carefree feel, and the way they stay faithful to the unique feel of this type of song.....a wistful sort of elegance, a joy and innocence of a bygone era. And the lifts! They're incorporated so unobtrusively into the program, and I always admire how easy they make those look. As for Love Story, well, this program has a lot of baggage that comes with it, but if people saw this program for what it is, without too much preconceptions, it's a fine, fine piece of work. There is the simple but effective (and even moving) music that is edited to present the bare bones of a tragic love story, a choreography that fills out the story in evocative, simple strokes, and a pair of skaters who brought the whole story to life by the incredible passion with which they skated the program. They laid themselves bare emotionally. So what if their vehicle was Love Story instead of some classic, music-with-pedigree? Emotional honesty is emotional honesty, and it shines through anything. I believe this is what makes Love Story special, and what make it enduring--the emotion. I've never seen anything like it.

Bleuchick steps on stage ....

*clap* *clap* *clap*...

now if S/P do not sign you to write their biography then I dunno...wait a sec...you are not writing it, are you? :D

in any case, it is a lovely post...
    Last edited by bleuchick; 07-24-2004 at 10:08 PM.

Emotional honesty is what makes me care so much about certain skaters. The ones that lay it all out for you with their hearts are the ones that steal mine. You totally hit the nail on the head about Love Story S-E. That was a wonderful post. And like you two, any excuse to prolong a Jamie & Dave post is great with me!

BTW-If you are writing their biography, can I get an advanced copy?!?! LOL

Rinkside
    Awwww......bleuchick and kwanfan, you guys are too kind.....not to mention slightly delusional. Speaking of their upcoming bio, any ideas on who the author might be? This is getting a bit off-topic here, so......

Jalousie! This is another one of my faves! Why oh why hasn't anyone picked it yet? It's a charming, charming number! And come on, what other pair has managed to pull of comedy so expertly, so nonchalantly, with such verve, in a short program no less--pressure, anyone? Hello! It's one of the most nervewracking couple minutes in sports! And what do they do? They go out and act like their having FUN, forget that they're doing all sorts of unimaginably risky and dangerous things on the ice, noooo, they're out there to entertain, put on a little show, a rather charming and sexy little vignette. And, of course, the audience goes along with their act--"very entertaining!"--until you go back and see the actual work behind the entertainment, the skill behind their ability to allow the audience to forget the technique, the grit, the sweat, and enjoy the show. A rare gift, don't you think?

OK, I'll stop now. I think I'm a little shell-shocked at finding myself homeless (you S&P fans know what I'm talking about!). That's why I'm babbling so much......well, more than usual. :o

Rinkside
    I went with "other" because for me it's definitely "Who Wants To Live Forever". I'm not a big fan of S&P, but that program was awesome!

S-E: I know exactly what you mean about being homeless. Its a bit unsettling, eh?! LOL Feel free to gush away here all you want though. You are definitely not alone but you might be a bi more in the minority here. BTW-I post as HeatherC over there in case you want to actually know who I am. :D

And I really could go on all day about my fave Jamie & Dave programs because there isn't really one I don't like which I find very crazy actually. For just about all of my other fave skaters, there's always one or two programs where I am like, 'Eh, I don't think I like that one'. But for these two, they can and have done so many different styles that I find myself enjoying anything they perform no matter what style. I don't even like kd lang's music at all and I LOVED 'Crying' from this past year! Those back to back throws, awesome. How do they do that every year, skate to any type of music?! That takes a talented twosome for sure, LOL

Custom Title
    S-E - ...moi delusional...naw...blame it on S/P... :D

Before I go offline for a several weeks...I gotta say I too think Jalousie is up there.
    It is easy to dismiss it because it is like an exhibition program but when you really look at it...it is not. I could go into why it is not but this is not a thread on Lori's Choreography but S/P programs.

What I also find interesting about S/P is that all their programs have a personal touch to them.

- their love for yoga - Who wants to Live for Ever
    - David's sense of humor - Jalousie, La Vie En Rose, Por Una Cabeza
    - entertaining and perfoming for people - Jalousie, Come Fly with Me, Come Rain or Come Sunshine. The audience is front and square in these programs. i.e Jamie slaps David's butt and looks to the crowd in Come Rain or Come Sunshine...

[Buechick takes a second look at this last line and rolls eyes at herself. Can't believe I wrote that and more . Oh well...lets move on to the next post. I am done for now ]

And yes...I am not delusional... :D
    Last edited by bleuchick; 07-24-2004 at 10:02 PM.

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd
    Come Away With Me got my vote---most because it's the first programme I saw them skate live (at SOI in Albany, NY). They are so lyrical, and the balance lift of Jamie on David's arm is so much more breathtaking when you're sitting 4 rows back from the ice

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I loved their "Love Story" program, but I loved their "Tristan and Isolde" program the following season because it was classical and their unison was so perfect throughout the program (as it was in Love Story, but on a different level). I also thought the program showed their growth as a pair team from the previous season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2