Sarah Hughes news? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes news?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
If you poll my friends, you'll get a few votes for Nancy Kwan and Michelle Yamaguchi.

:laugh2:

However, that can of course happen to all the time non followers of figure skating as likewise I was mistaken about Shaun White as a female ski racer until reading posts on Sasha's wedding thread and thought Lindsey Vonn participated and won OGM in Sochi.

I follow gymnastics, and I don't think Shawn was more popular than Nastia...even if Shawn won DWTS.

I think Shawn was much better known and immensely popular through 2007. By the 2008 Olympics she was just the teeniest, tiniest bit past her peak, allowing Nastia to win the Olympics all around. The same thing happened to Jordyn Wieber. As for Dancing With the Stars, at least that brought Johnson to the attention of a wider audience (although it is not at all clear that she was the best dancer that season. :laugh: )

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Poor Evan. He's the Rodney Dangerfield of figure skating.

Right. He only won the first OGM for US men in 22 years. When he was attacked for winning according to the rules in place at the time, he didn't attack his attackers. Instead, he was empathetic.

Evan medaled at nearly every competition he entered between 2005 and 2010. He represented his country superbly. He was one of the great competitors, and he was always classy, modest, and respectful of his competitors.

He demonstrated devotion to the sport of figure skating, passion and joy for performing, and a desire to share his passion with audiences.

In some circles, Evan gets plenty of respect. Not so much on GS forum, though, I'll grant you that.

brightphoton

Medalist
We didn't like his skating. You don't have to get so salty about it.

He won a lot of points when he skated, but he didn't win our hearts and souls. There are programs that people remember and watch over and over, and unfortunately, Evans's programs typically don't cut it. Which is why we tend to forget about his medals.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I honestly have a hard time remembering a lot of Evan's programs or what he did in them from 2006-2010.