2016-2017 Men's Power Rankings | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Men's Power Rankings

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Last season's prophecies. :biggrin: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Men-s-Power-Rankings&highlight=power+rankings

And for this season:

1. Fernandez
He can't be underestimated any more. 2 Worlds titles means he's the king of the mountain...for now. :thumbsup:
2. Hanyu is always pushing the technical envelope as far as his body will go and beyond. He spent 2 months off the ice completely and had no shows at all this summer. But he says he's healthy again so I've put him in 2nd place
3. Boyang Quad Lutz, Cowboy EX need we say more?
4. Uno -his programs are a bit meh so far, but he can make them better with time. Rooting for you at the Japan Open!
5. Chan is going through a coaching change but his EX that I saw earlier this year was :love:

These are my top 5 and the first things that came to mind about them. Who are your Top 5 or Top 10 this Season and why?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh lord... :) i should resist the temptation but i will jump in again

1) Hanyu : I think the rest is key here. He needed it badly. It will be break or make with him this year but I have the feeling it will be make.
2) Javier : he will still be on top but I think that he will start feeling a bit more pressure since he is bound to lose.... after winning pretty much everything two seasons in a row...
3) Chan: I think he will skate cleaner and cleaner and cleaner this year. I don't expect him to bring a second quad until late in the season if at all. It seems to me as that second quad will be ready for the olympic season.
4) Boyang : TES is way too high to put him much lower. I do not particularly enjoy his skating but he is young...
5) Denis Ten : Coming back strong after a so so year
6) Jason Brown : no quad but his programs have had time to mature a lot this year. I see him as american 1 but not much better than 5-6 at WC if he is 100% clean.
7) Shoma : sophomore year. I agree his new programs are meh... we have seen what he can do... he has the most potential from the new kids but perhaps it will be a bit hard for him this year... I see a lot of UR 4F attempts in the future
8) Kevin Reynolds : wild card for this year. He is on his way back up.... after 4 years, he returns to the GP ... he has gone through a lot and grown up a lot. I think it shows he can be competitive. We will see if he rotates fully and lands all his jumps... but he has 6 quads planned over two programs so go go go !
9)Daniel Samohin. First season. Relative success
10) Kolyada : a good season, steady but no fireworks.

Curious about : NAM, MISHA GE, and HAN YAN. Wishing them a return to the top ten but it may be difficult.

OF COURSE, this comes out of my crystal ball :) i have no knowledge much about anyone at this time in the game... I reserve the right to be wrong :) really wrong ;)

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
1) Hanyu; you always have to give him the nod for the top. Two completely clean competitions (5 clean programs in a row), something had to have turned the tide
2) Javier; still makes silly little mistakes (did he ever skate a clean short program last season?); programs are the same old thing he usually does
3) Patrick; two clean programs (maybe even with one mistake) will still keep him in mix
4) Boyang; the jumps will continue to hold him up
5) Shoma; the jumps will continue to hold him back
6) Denis; where even is he?
7) Jason

Kovtun and Han Yan are just done...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
1. Javier Fernandez or Yuzuru Hanyu
3. Patrick Chan
4. Boyang Jin
5. Shoma Uno
6. Mikhail Kolyada
7. Denis Ten
8. Nathan Chen
9. Daniel Samohin
10. Jason Brown

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oh, I have my next 5 as well.
6. Jason Brown who may climb to 4th and above if he can get that quad!
7. Mikhail Kolyada interesting style, solid jumps
8. Mura -can he keep his jumps steady? his artistry improves dramatically every year. Love his SP this year.
9. Adam Rippon, could be above Mura, it's close.
10. Denis Ten in Tenth place until we can see if he can recover and make a strong showing since the disappointment of last Worlds.

Really though, 6th-10th could be in any order. They are all unpredictable.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Whenever you say like this, I wish your avatar is not Daisuke's photo. Han is not injured, so none can be sure about his future yet.

It's not about health. He needs a complete and total overhaul which apparently isn't going to happen. The results as of late speak for themselves.

Rissa

Record Breaker
1 & 2: Javier & Yuzuru
3 Boyang Jin
4 Patrick Chan
5 Shoma Uno
6 Kolyada
7 Nathan Chen
8 Daniel Samohin
9 Denis Ten
10 Mura

tommybuffano12

Rinkside
1. Yuzuru Hanyu--Unicorn on ice.
2. Javier Fernandez--Best male skater since Sochi.
3. Patrick Chan--Needs another quad.
4. Boyang Jin--TES is insanity.
5. Shoma Uno--charisma, quad flip, wicked fast.
6. Mikhail Kolyada--spring.
7. Nathan Chen--needs to be healthy.
8. Denis Ten--who knows.
9. Daniel Samohin--lots of promise/quads.
10. Takahito Mura

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Isn't incredible that the top at the rankings and a back-to-back World Champ is a Spaniard? How incredible it will be to see more and more skaters from unlikely (even tropical) countries to climb in the world ranks and mix up with the Russians, Americans, Canadians and Japanese!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Isn't incredible that the top at the rankings and a back-to-back World Champ is a Spaniard? How incredible it will be to see more and more skaters from unlikely (even tropical) countries to climb in the world ranks and mix up with the Russians, Americans, Canadians and Japanese!

Yes, it is incredible!!! And even more amazing is that Fernandez is a true Spaniard and not somebody from USA representing Spain...

Osmiumnitrate

Rinkside
Heres my predictions :

1. Javier Fernandez
1.5 (what?). Yuzuru Hanyu

I realized while Javier does indeed make mistakes every now and then, he doesn't let those mistakes get into the way for the rest of his program. Of course, this still affects SP performance if it does happen during his SP, however as seen in 2016 Worlds he still manages a very decent and competitive >90 score because of his high PCS and still good TES. However Yuzuru on the other hand his a tendency to be more consistent in the SP (which isn't really a decisive indicator of who is getting gold) but one or two mistakes in his LP (which he has a higher chance to bomb) will pull his TES back AND his PCS (as observed by the sudden drop of PCS to low 90s when he gives a less than perfect LP) and cause him to bomb the rest of his programs. Therefore while Javier may be less stellar normally than Hanyu in the SP, he is at least more consistent for his LP which is more important.

However, like what Johnny Weir commented during the 2015-2016 GP finals, nobody can beat a clean Hanyu. But I'll still take into account that Hanyu seem to have more injuries than Javier from what I know so far.

And since the gap between the top 2 men and the rest of the field is so huge (and the gap between Hanyu and Fernandez is sooo little) , there is nobody in second place so

3. Patrick Chan
4. Jin Boyang

This is a very interesting toss up between Jin and Patrick.

At first, looking at the technical prowess of Jin versus Patrick, one would have quickly put Jin ahead of Patrick. However, Patrick has the reputation of receiving insanely high PCS even in the presence of technical mistakes. In the absence of it however, it could quickly pull Patrick into the leagues of Hanyu and Fernandez. All Chan needs is to add another consistent quad or two into his program (Its not like he can't really do quads yet like Jason brown, he just needs additional training coming back from a break), plus his top PCS marks could put 3 men (Chan, Hanyu, fernandez) way ahead the rest of the men's field. Jin has said that he will work on improving his choreography and thus his PCS, but we all know how slowly PCS generally increases in figure skating. However, in terms of Jin's PCS, I'll reserve my final judgement till I witness his new programs for the upcoming season.

With the recent news of Kathy's resignation as Patrick's coach, if Patrick moves to a more technical coach, I would love and expect to see him being a monster on the technical side while retaining top PCS marks. Who knows, the first place may be a bloodbath between Fernandez, Hanyu and Chan.

5. Shoma Uno. However I would urge Shoma to reconsider doing the 4F because it doesn't seem to be a natural jump for him despite him able to land it. In fact, I personally think his technique on the 4F is on the ugly side. (pre-rotations, seemingly unstable landings, sometimes questionable rotations) I always firmly believe that in FS whoever that lands on the podium is mostly because of GOE, not exactly whether they're doing difficult jumps or not. Being able to do a difficult jump is one thing, but doing it with high GOE is what lands u on the podium. Perhaps he could follow his teammate Hanyu and focus on landing clean easier jumps like the 4T or 4S and getting high GOE for them. However, seeing how he is already so physically and emotionally invested in the quad flip, then perhaps he should just continue improving his 4F.

TLDR: Like someone else already said, his jumps continue to hold him back.

6. Max Aaron. I wanted to put Nathan Chen ahead of Max but in terms of the technical side Max has a cleaner technique (flawless 4S-3T that even rivals the likes of Hanyu), its just that Nathan has the history of being able to land more quads. This, again is a close toss up between Nathan and Max Aaron. Then you throw in Nathan struggling with his injuries, which is why I put Max slightly ahead of Chen.

7. Jason Brown. Insanely artistic skater, but nevertheless held back on the technical side. And we all know how important TES is especially in the men's field seeing how Jin with his insanely high TES got bronze in the 2016 Worlds despite abysmal (to me) choreography. He needs at the bare minimum 2 clean quads, 1 in combination for the LP , to move up a few positions and compete for the bronze medal at least. We are talking about the top 2 men potentially being able to land 3 OR MORE quads in the LP, and 2 in the SP so 2 is really the bare minimum for bronze. However, Jason could pull a Jin Boyang and get on the podium even with lower TES and very high PCS but we all know thats not possible given how so many men already have very high PCS (Hanyu, fernandez, Javier, Shoma....)

I'll put skaters in positions 3-7 in contenders for the bronze medal in any international competition they're in, because frankly speaking history has shown that the first 2 rankings in the competition are almost fixed for Hanyu and Fernandez if they're present in the competition (the question is, in what order?). It's kind of like US Nationals where the top 3 places are almost fixed for Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner.

tzazu

Medalist
1. Fernández
2. Hanyu (Or it was the other way round?:scratch2::dance2:)
3. Jin
4. Chan (wish him higher though)
5. Uno
6. Ten
7. Brown

mrrice

Record Breaker
1. Fernández
2. Hanyu (Or it was the other way round?:scratch2::dance2:)
3. Jin
4. Chan (wish him higher though)
5. Uno
6. Ten
7. Brown

Have you really no faith in Max or National Champion, Adam Rippon? Shame.................:disapp: