Programs that reference gold/winning | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Programs that reference gold/winning

^It's my party, and I'll cry if I wanna…you would cry, too, if it happened to you!"

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle had been skating to Fields of Gold all season. It wasn't specific to the Olympics. I thought it showed, as the commentator (I don't remember if it was Scott or Sandra) said, that success isn't always measured by a gold medal. Does anyone remember Sarah Hughes' exhibition at SLC? Michelle's Fields of Gold became iconic with that performance.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Linda Eder. I wonder did anyone ever skate to her Man of La Mancha on the same CD? What a fabulous huge Broadway star she was. And I think Kristi skated that program in the opening ceremony of an Olympics? Was it 2002? She was the it girl for SOI. As a pro I loved her. SOI took champions and let them develop. It is so sad the sport let pro skating just die.

Michelle skated to Linda Eder's This Time Around. Gracie's skate to Maybe This Time reminded me of it.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Sarah Hughes' exhibition at SLC?

I had to look it up, but she did her Fosse number. This was actually a fine program (although it would have been even better if it had ended after the Bye Bye Blackbird part). She also did an "encore" to "You'll Never Walk Alone" dedicated to the victims of the 9-11 tragedy.

Here is an homage to Michelle's Fields 13 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY0d59Q4RQw

(If you let that You Tube channel play, next up you will find out what became of Michelle's USA opening ceremonies jacket. :) )

Vanshilar

On the Ice
I think it'd be funny if some skater skated to "We are the Champions" for their exhibition performance...especially if they didn't get the gold medal. Or even if they did.

moriel

Record Breaker
Another case of this is the "we will rock you" SD by ilinykh/zhiganshin: its kinda not cool when you skate to something like that and don´t medal.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The irony...
Not to mention that The Winner Takes it All is about losing ("The loser's standing small" etc.)

That's very true. The story is told by a woman who lost her love to "the winner". One phraze there is very opportune, though: "the judges will decide". One of my favorite Abba songs.

A bit offtop but anyway - it was a funny similar case when the guys from Lithuania sang during the Eurovision contest in 2006: "we are the winners of Eurovision, we are, we are!" Of course, they won nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBAdOlQPbwg

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Speaking about tempting fate, I always wondered about Plushenko's 1998 freekskate costume with the bright silver torso. Why would you want to flash "Silver! Silver!" in the judges' faces?