Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Article on 2004 Campbell's: Prize money, Kwan and Cohen confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    BTW - Has anything new happened with this upcoming Cheesefest? I'm more interested in seeing the skate rather than making predictions. I'd like to know who else is involved. I am not anxious to see MK or SC as I am Irina. I hope she got an invitation. Also I'm interested in seeing if Johnny is keeping up with his past excellent season. Will Tim be back? Who will be the international Men involved? So much more to look forward to and not just the MK/SC thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    Nope, so far it's only MK and SC. http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4876698.html Quote:" The remaining skaters will be announced later."
    I don't know why I am so interested in the financial aspect of sports, but I am. I see that Kobe Bryant just signed with the Lakers for $136,000,000 -- taking the edge off his loss of revenue from the cancellation of his MacDonald's endorsements.

I think these so-called cheesefests are becoming the new "pro circuit," taking the place of the World Pro, etc., as that generation of skaters (Kristi Yamaguchi , Bryan Boitano, Kurt Browning) pass the torch. I think it is quite telling that as soon as the organizers get Michelle and Sasha to commit, they know they've got a show and it's time to roll the presses, even while other invitations are being mulled over and other negotiations are taking place.

Michelle Kwan is really the only name that the USFSA can peddle to the television networks and to potential sponsors who are trying to attract a large audience outside of hard-core skating fans. Sasha is just one major championship away from achieving that kind of recognition. Now round up the usual suspects and away we go.

I am very curious to know what kind of fees the agents of Evgenny Plushenko can negotiate for their client for something like this. Plushenko is the man -- but he's the man in a sport where the women attract the most interest.

Or what about Shizuka Arakawa? How much is a world championship worth? Last year, Shizuka was shoehorned into the December show in Auburn Hills at the last minute when Irina Slutskaya withdrew. The only reason Shizuka was invited was that she was living in the area, training a few miles down the road, and she could step in at moment's notice. She skated great on a night when all of the other ladies had verticality problems and she finished second (probably should have won).

Joe, you have long lamented that serious pro competitions as opposed to shows, have fallen by the wayside. Maybe this is it.

Mathman

Just a small point: Noone is forced to sign a contract with the USFSA. They should realize that if they do sign they are then committed to make appearances unless physically unable to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Joe, you have long lamented that serious pro competitions as opposed to shows, have fallen by the wayside. Maybe this is it.
    Mathman
    Mathman - Still lamenting am I over the loss of a real sports-like competition from the Non-eligible skaters. They screwed it up with outlandish choreography and costumed themselves in outlandish outfits. Not unlike the old skating shows but hardly competition. The teenyboppers adore it but the sponsors said NO MORE. The general public wanted no more unlsess there is another scandal. There still exists, I think, a battle between the N.American s and the World. Another silly competition - who cares who wins? but the skating last time out was soooo beautiful, I gave gold medal ties to many.

I don't know why the ISU didn't take its cue from Ihe International Tennis Association which went to work in the early 70s and made Tennis a big draw on TV as well as Arena filling. Before that Tennis was a little sport like figure skating. Maybe the Skating Channel (if that ever comes into being, will get some new spectator interest which will bring in more sponsors.

I'm happy with the Campbells. I wish it would be a two day event where more skaters could participate. It gives me the first view of the usual suspects for the upcoming season - new music? new choreo? new costume? new tricks? From that point of view I am very interested. Not so with the one after the Worlds. That's fun to see but it is just so anticlimatic after Worlds and Olys.

Hope we get a list of contestantts soon.

Joe

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Mathman - Still lamenting am I over the loss of a real sports-like competition from the Non-eligible skaters. They screwed it up with outlandish choreography and costumed themselves in outlandish outfits. Not unlike the old skating shows but hardly competition. The teenyboppers adore it but the sponsors said NO MORE. The general public wanted no more unlsess there is another scandal. There still exists, I think, a battle between the N.American s and the World. Another silly competition - who cares who wins? but the skating last time out was soooo beautiful, I gave gold medal ties to many.
    I'm not sure who the "they" are that you blame. I blame the judges, the audience and the promotors just as much as I blame the skaters. The judges the most I susppose. Giving high marks and a World Pro win to Phillippe's scadallously bad taste was an abomination. How could anyone respect a sport that gives that crap a championship title? Sitting in my living room alone, watching the judges lap it up, the audience lap it up, and imagining the promotors laughing all the way tot the bank, I truely felt alone in my desire to see honest skating, yes skating, Not posing, not taking your clothes off, not props, not leaving the ice to enter the audience. Skating. The audeince was punch drunk with droll all over thier chins and the judges were giving out 10 like it was the last day on earth. Who's to say I'm right and all of them are wrong? Heck, if I was handed tens of thousands of dollars and a major championsip title to take my shirt off, I'd do it too. If the skating world (and that includes fans) hands over unadulterated praise for crap, the skater is probably the least to blame for the dumbing down of the sport.

Exactly BG - It was not only Philippe but everyone who took part in them.. The entire promotion of Pro competition was geared for money nothing else., imo.

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3