Advice for attending Tallinn JGP? | Golden Skate

Advice for attending Tallinn JGP?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Has anyone been to previous JGP Tallinn Cup competitions? I'm thinking of going, but wondering about a few things:

Do they normally charge for entry? If so, do people just buy tickets at the door?

Do they let people watch the practices?

Is it worth the bother of getting a smart card for the buses?
Or just pay 2euros cash to the driver each time? I'll only need 6 bus rides (City/Hotel to the Arena, and back, for three days)

Any advice gratefully received...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Got my own answer to one of the questions at least...

I emailed the organisers to ask about entry, and they replied to say "The competition is free of charge" YAY! :-D

Mattieu

Medalist
Got my own answer to one of the questions at least...

I emailed the organisers to ask about entry, and they replied to say "The competition is free of charge" YAY! :-D

So cool, St Gervais the French comp was €10 per day! :(

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
So cool, St Gervais the French comp was €10 per day! :(

Mattieu do you have any information about the attendance in St Gervais?
... because from the videos it looked so empty and clapping was sparse.

P:S: For the JGP Czech Skate Ostrava 2016 entrance is free of charge too.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Mattieu do you have any information about the attendance in St Gervais?
... because from the videos it looked so empty and clapping was sparse.
My wife was at St Gervais. There was a crowd, but not huge.
Many seemed to be family/coaches of the competitors. And Most were sitting behind the judges.
ie. the same side as the TV cameras, so most of the time you couldn't see them in the videos.

Attendance at JGP's is usually quite low...
Except in Japan...! From the JGP Yokohama Japan thread:

Where are tickets???? All gone in a second or two. I've never been to Junior competitions, the venue is the closest rink available for int'l comps from where I live, I was so much interested in going! I was so looking forward to seeing Sena, Vincent and Sadovsky live... :sarcasm:

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I have been doing a little homework because I am considering going to Tallinn Trophy in Nov. (have to wait for the announcement of the entries though) the venue Tondiraba is quite some way off from the centre, probably it will be more convenient for you to stay in the neighbourhood of the rink. There seem to be very few hotels around, but if you search Airbnb there are a few places near the rink (=walking distance) and the prices are good, for example this one.
You might want to spend a few days and stay in the centre if your schedule allows though, either before or after the competition, Tallinn seems like such a charming little city!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I have been doing a little homework because I am considering going to Tallinn Trophy in Nov. (have to wait for the announcement of the entries though) the venue Tondiraba is quite some way off from the centre, probably it will be more convenient for you to stay in the neighbourhood of the rink. There seem to be very few hotels around, but if you search Airbnb there are a few places near the rink (=walking distance) and the prices are good, for example this one.
You might want to spend a few days and stay in the centre if your schedule allows though, either before or after the competition, Tallinn seems like such a charming little city!
Thanks, yes I already looked for hotels nearby, and since the nearest ones were still a fair walk (and it's a place we've never been before), we decided to "splurge" on the official competition hotel in the city centre. The arena seems well-served by buses from nearby, and the city does indeed look nice for sightseeing...

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Thanks, yes I already looked for hotels nearby, and since the nearest ones were still a fair walk (and it's a place we've never been before), we decided to "splurge" on the official competition hotel in the city centre. The arena seems well-served by buses from nearby, and the city does indeed look nice for sightseeing...

Ok you are staying in the official hotel, then the possibility of smuggling yourself into the shuttle service provided for the personnel is not excluded, I know some people who managed that. ;) Well but you also need to consider an alternative plan of course, and indeed, the city does seem to have a decent public transportation system, in that case probably easier to get a multi-day pass, just to save yourself from the hassle of having to get a ticket every time.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Everything in Tallinn is really near.
The rink is located in one of the biggest residential areas - Lasnamäe - and the transportation system is, indeed, very convinient.

You can get there by buses 19, 44, 51 ja 65, which, if I am not mistaken, all go from the City centre.
Also, if you täke a taxi it will be 5-6 euro ride.

If you will have any questions about Tallinn or so, feel free to message me :)

TMC

Record Breaker

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well since I'm considering going to Tallinn Trophy as well. I've been to Tallinn a few times just for a holiday and it is indeed a charming city. And very cheap compared to Helsinki :)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Everything in Tallinn is really near.
The rink is located in one of the biggest residential areas - Lasnamäe - and the transportation system is, indeed, very convinient.

You can get there by buses 19, 44, 51 ja 65, which, if I am not mistaken, all go from the City centre.
Also, if you täke a taxi it will be 5-6 euro ride.

If you will have any questions about Tallinn or so, feel free to message me :)
Hi MsLiinaLii, thanks for the information. Do you have any advice about using smart cards for bus travel?

Can we just buy "empty" smart cards at the places listed on the Tallinn public transport web site, and then load credit later, online?

I don't speak a word of Estonian, so I'm a bit concerned about trying to buy a smart card and ask to load credit onto it, in a shop or post office or whatever, meanwhile a queue will build up behind me ;-D Or are Estonians generally able to understand English?

(I know the first time I went to Finland Helsinki, if I stopped somebody to ask directions or something, I would first ask them if they spoke English... and they usually replied "yes" with a funny look. Turns out most Finnish people I have met, speak better English than English people...! And I think perhaps I was insulting them by asking if they speak English o_O I stopped asking that question very quickly...! :-D Maybe it will be the same in Estonia)

Anyway, would I be better off just paying the Tallinn bus drivers in cash? I know it would cost more, but it's not very much for the few days I'll be there. But then - if I pay cash, does it have to be the exact amount in coins? Or will the driver accept bank notes and give change?

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Need someone going to cheer for Mako for me. All you have to do is say, "Coyote Chris is routing for you" in Japanese. What could possibly go wrong?

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Hi MsLiinaLii, thanks for the information. Do you have any advice about using smart cards for bus travel?

Can we just buy "empty" smart cards at the places listed on the Tallinn public transport web site, and then load credit later, online?

I don't speak a word of Estonian, so I'm a bit concerned about trying to buy a smart card and ask to load credit onto it, in a shop or post office or whatever, meanwhile a queue will build up behind me ;-D Or are Estonians generally able to understand English?

(I know the first time I went to Finland Helsinki, if I stopped somebody to ask directions or something, I would first ask them if they spoke English... and they usually replied "yes" with a funny look. Turns out most Finnish people I have met, speak better English than English people...! And I think perhaps I was insulting them by asking if they speak English o_O I stopped asking that question very quickly...! :-D Maybe it will be the same in Estonia)

Anyway, would I be better off just paying the Tallinn bus drivers in cash? I know it would cost more, but it's not very much for the few days I'll be there. But then - if I pay cash, does it have to be the exact amount in coins? Or will the driver accept bank notes and give change?

Sorry for a läte reply. I was extremely busy lately((
Estonians are generally good English-speakers. Especially the youth. So do not to hesitate to ask.
Buying froim a bus driver will cost more, but not by much. But it is advised to give exact amount in coins. (they do not really like to give change)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Sorry for a läte reply. I was extremely busy lately((
Estonians are generally good English-speakers. Especially the youth. So do not to hesitate to ask.
Buying froim a bus driver will cost more, but not by much. But it is advised to give exact amount in coins. (they do not really like to give change)
Thanks! I am finding it as you said, younger people generally speak English... and everyone here has been kind and friendly so far.

More bus info, for anyone coming to Tallinn in the future eg Tallinn Trophy Challenger series:

I brought some Euro coins for the buses just in case, but you can buy public transport smartcards at RKiosk shops which are widespread, and many other places... and there is an RKiosk at the airport. Of course they spoke English at the airport... I bought a card there (2e) and got a 5 day pass loaded onto it (6e). This gives unlimited use of the public transport for 5 days. Very cheap, and convenient. It's 2e per bus ride otherwise. I took a taxi from airport to hotel though. You can load more tickets onto your card online if you need to.

To use the card, just get on the bus, and hold the smartcard up to one of the readers - it should give you a chime and a green light. Easy. Plenty more info online about smartcards, what the card readers look like, how to use them etc eg.http://www.tallinn.ee/eng/PUBLIC-TRANSPORT-CARD

Buses to/from Tallinn Viru Keskus (very close to Sokos and Tallink City hotels) are frequent and 19, 44 and 51 go to the Virbi stop, right next to the Tondiraba arena. Viru Keskus bus station is under a shopping centre which is handy if you want to get some food/drink to bring with you (there is a supermarket at the basement level next to the bus stops. They weigh loose fruit etc at the tills for you). There are drink and snack kiosks at the arena though, and a very nice café serving hot food and nice sandwiches etc

The buses announce the stops as it goes, and show the name of the next stop on a display too. Press one of the red "stop" buttons when Virbi is the next stop. There will be a ding sound and "stopping" will show on a sign near the driver. It only takes 10-20 minutes depending on bus and traffic (time of day).

Seats at the front of the bus are mostly prioritised for elderly, pregnant ladies, etc. So able bodies and younger people are generally better using the middle or rear doors, rather than front, and sit nearer the back. Yes, three doors, there are card readers at each.

Return trip to Viru Keskus from the arena is only buses 19 and 51. They are less frequent late at night but still don't have to wait long for one. Search for Tallinn bus timetables, there are web pages showing times and frequency.

At the arena, the spectator areas are at ground level, if you go down the stairs outside at the entrance (eg. If main entrance is locked, and it has been sometimes when arriving early for practice sessions)... you will enter the complex used by competitors and officials etc... so you should take the "inside" stairs to the left as you go in... through the café... and into the arena area.

Hope that helps somebody...

PS. posted this using free wifi at the arena, it works better than our hotel wifi...

Last edited:

Merjan

On the Ice
I was at CS Tallinn Trophy 2015 as I wanted to see Aljona & Bruno together for 1st time. It was free of charge at least then. But it was quite dissapointing that there were only about 20 spectators there so I felt I was almost by myself there. I'm not sure if I'll go this year as it seems that Finlandia Trophy has better entries this time. So Espoo is closer to me. Tondiraba ice arena is a nice place, I'll go there to Kings On Ice on 5 November ( Plushenko, Lambiel, Amodio, Verner, Korpi, Sotnikova and others). I was at Kings On Ice last year as well, it was really great.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! I am finding it as you said, younger people generally speak English... and everyone here has been kind and friendly so far.

More bus info, for anyone coming to Tallinn in the future eg Tallinn Trophy Challenger series:

I brought some Euro coins for the buses just in case, but you can buy public transport smartcards at RKiosk shops which are widespread, and many other places... and there is an RKiosk at the airport. Of course they spoke English at the airport... I bought a card there (2e) and got a 5 day pass loaded onto it (6e). This gives unlimited use of the public transport for 5 days. Very cheap, and convenient. It's 2e per bus ride otherwise. I took a taxi from airport to hotel though. You can load more tickets onto your card online if you need to.

To use the card, just get on the bus, and hold the smartcard up to one of the readers - it should give you a chime and a green light. Easy. Plenty more info online about smartcards, what the card readers look like, how to use them etc eg.http://www.tallinn.ee/eng/PUBLIC-TRANSPORT-CARD

Buses to/from Tallinn Viru Keskus (very close to Sokos and Tallink City hotels) are frequent and 19, 44 and 51 go to the Virbi stop, right next to the Tondiraba arena. Viru Keskus bus station is under a shopping centre which is handy if you want to get some food/drink to bring with you (there is a supermarket at the basement level next to the bus stops. They weigh loose fruit etc at the tills for you). There are drink and snack kiosks at the arena though, and a very nice café serving hot food and nice sandwiches etc

The buses announce the stops as it goes, and show the name of the next stop on a display too. Press one of the red "stop" buttons when Virbi is the next stop. There will be a ding sound and "stopping" will show on a sign near the driver. It only takes 10-20 minutes depending on bus and traffic (time of day).

Seats at the front of the bus are mostly prioritised for elderly, pregnant ladies, etc. So able bodies and younger people are generally better using the middle or rear doors, rather than front, and sit nearer the back. Yes, three doors, there are card readers at each.

Return trip to Viru Keskus from the arena is only buses 19 and 51. They are less frequent late at night but still don't have to wait long for one. Search for Tallinn bus timetables, there are web pages showing times and frequency.

At the arena, the spectator areas are at ground level, if you go down the stairs outside at the entrance (eg. If main entrance is locked, and it has been sometimes when arriving early for practice sessions)... you will enter the complex used by competitors and officials etc... so you should take the "inside" stairs to the left as you go in... through the café... and into the arena area.

Hope that helps somebody...

PS. posted this using free wifi at the arena, it works better than our hotel wifi...

I am enjoying your reports. What would I notice as major differences (as an US fan) attending the event? Security? Politeness? Water fountains? Taking food into the arena? Real Bathrooms? Tipping at eateries? Estonia scores very high on the index of English speaking countries.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I am enjoying your reports. What would I notice as major differences (as an US fan) attending the event? Security? Politeness? Water fountains? Taking food into the arena? Real Bathrooms? Tipping at eateries? Estonia scores very high on the index of English speaking countries.
Hard to say about differences. I've only been to one figure skating event in the US - Skate America GP in Detroit 2013. Senior GP events are quite different to JGP events from the start.

Can't say much about security, audience was so few that security guys were low-key, just eyed you as you came in, and didn't feel the need to search your bags. But given the levels of security at the airport, I rather think things might be much tighter at more "major" events.

I saw no water fountains in the arena. I took food into the arena no problem. Cafe was very good though, so we ate there a few times too.

What do you mean by a "real bathroom"? Toilets were clean and looked much like those at any other place to me? I didn't see inside the ladies toilets, but I'm sure my wife would have made it known if there was anything to complain about...

Everyone we met was very polite and friendly, except one bus driver who shouted at us when we didn't get off at the terminal right away. (Well, we didn't realise it was the last stop. It was our first time making the return trip from the arena... and we kind of expected the bus to go into the same bus station that we left from. But actually the "terminal" is a regular bus stop, and the buses always go into the station from there, completely empty...)

Didn't see other people tipping at restaurants, so we didn't either... hope we got it right...

We did hit the "language barrier" a couple of times, but as mentioned above - younger generations seemed to speak English very well.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hard to say about differences. I've only been to one figure skating event in the US - Skate America GP in Detroit 2013. Senior GP events are quite different to JGP events from the start.

Can't say much about security, audience was so few that security guys were low-key, just eyed you as you came in, and didn't feel the need to search your bags. But given the levels of security at the airport, I rather think things might be much tighter at more "major" events.

I saw no water fountains in the arena. I took food into the arena no problem. Cafe was very good though, so we ate there a few times too.

What do you mean by a "real bathroom"? Toilets were clean and looked much like those at any other place to me? I didn't see inside the ladies toilets, but I'm sure my wife would have made it known if there was anything to complain about...

Everyone we met was very polite and friendly, except one bus driver who shouted at us when we didn't get off at the terminal right away. (Well, we didn't realise it was the last stop. It was our first time making the return trip from the arena... and we kind of expected the bus to go into the same bus station that we left from. But actually the "terminal" is a regular bus stop, and the buses always go into the station from there, completely empty...)

Didn't see other people tipping at restaurants, so we didn't either... hope we got it right...

We did hit the "language barrier" a couple of times, but as mentioned above - younger generations seemed to speak English very well.

Thanks for your input...very interesting. Security is being tightened here as we speak. Spokane is putting in permanent metal detectors in the arena and Center for the preforming arts. A sign of the times. A good cafe is always a plus, especially when the crowds are light. I was at Lake Placid circa 2009-10 for SkateAmerica and bathrooms in the old arena were "interesting". Thankfully they had a set in the parking lot, also. And there werent alot of people. Tipping is one of those things you have to pick up from the locals or guide books, I think. Did you get a chance to see some of the architecture? Looks like a great place to walk around. And I would want to see the occupation museum.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Did you get a chance to see some of the architecture? Looks like a great place to walk around. And I would want to see the occupation museum.
Unfortunately, we didn't do any sight-seeing. The day we hoped to do that, the weather was nasty so we didn't bother... :-/