2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info

kiches

Final Flight
I got a call too on Monday from SAP, but I'm local so I thought perhaps that was why.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Late to the party here, but I too got a voicemail last week from an account rep from the arena named Matt Hill. His info is below for reference. He also emailed me and I replied that I had already purchased tickets during the pre-sale.

Matt Hill
Account Executive – Arena Group Sales
Sharks Sports & Entertainment
525 W. Santa Clara St. | San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 977-4736

[email protected]

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
For anyone who already purchased tickets or is considering purchasing, be aware that the Exhibition is now scheduled for January 8, 2018. The original date for the Exhibition was January 7 (Sunday). It is now scheduled for Monday with time to be determined. If you want to see the Exhibition you will be staying until Monday or possibly Tuesday.

A couple of friends noticed the date change and have confirmation from the SAP Center.

noskates

Record Breaker
I find this really disgusting. Not only have they drug out the competition to something like 10 days but they're now rescheduling the exhibition? I can go home and drive back for it and avoid 2 more nights in the hotel but this is just price-goudging as far as I'm concerned. I love the fact that Nationals is in California and doable without airline acticity but for whatever reason the USFSA is really laying it on us.

nguyhm

On the Ice
Would love to go to San Jose and it will be my first Nationals. I can't afford the all events ticket and am planning on watching the senior events only. Will the individual tickets be sold at a later day?

mrrice

Record Breaker
If the exhibition has truly been changed to Monday, I will have to miss it. I can't believe they'd wait this wait this long to say something. Hotels have booked and in some cases, so have flights. Are they going to offer refund to people who have paid and can't stay or did they make the change when tickets went on sale?

noskates

Record Breaker
Individual tickets will go on sale at some point. My guess is they'll drag that competition out, too. I love to watch the juniors and novice because you see future stars but not interested in juveniles so much. And I only watch the singles in the juniors and novice. We have hotel reservations for the entire time but will decide when the schedule comes out. I really am disappointed in San Jose or the USFSS - whoever is responsible for this kerfuffle with the schedule.

Mrrice - if I'm not totally brain dead I think the exhibition tickets are separate from the all-event tickets. They always have been in the past including Worlds this year in Boston. Check it out.

(and I hope we get to meet at some point)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not that disappointed that the gala is Monday since I am more interested in the competition. I'll be gone by then, too. I can't imagine it will be that well attended.

noskates

Record Breaker
Actually the galas are usually well-attended but if it's really going to be on Monday night I would have to agree with you. Most people will be heading home on Sunday I would guess.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
will there be an all-event ticket that is just for the seniors? don't really care for juniors and below and i hope that's not the reason the tickets are so expensive

and wow gala during a monday sucks. don't people work and go to school? what were they thinking?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Individual tickets will go on sale at some point. My guess is they'll drag that competition out, too. I love to watch the juniors and novice because you see future stars but not interested in juveniles so much. And I only watch the singles in the juniors and novice. We have hotel reservations for the entire time but will decide when the schedule comes out. I really am disappointed in San Jose or the USFSS - whoever is responsible for this kerfuffle with the schedule.

Mrrice - if I'm not totally brain dead I think the exhibition tickets are separate from the all-event tickets. They always have been in the past including Worlds this year in Boston. Check it out.

(and I hope we get to meet at some point)

From what I've read anyone purchasing a Platinum level ticket for San Jose must buy the Exhibition ticket...there is no opt out for the Exhibition ticket. For any other level of tickets, as far as I know, you have the option of purchasing the Exhibition ticket, or not purchasing.

If you've already purchased the Exhibition ticket and have a problem with it being on Monday, you should probably call the SAP Center. It might be possible to get a refund on the ticket because of the change to Monday. A couple of fans that I know have called the SAP Center asking about the time of the Exhibition on Monday and have been told that the time has not yet been determined.

noskates

Record Breaker
Based on past experience - and at the SAP Center - the all event ticket gets you into the juniors and novice as well as some practices. The practice rink is not near the SAP Center and must be driven to. I think the only way you can just do the seniors is by individual event tickets - not sure if there is a price break there. Best to call SAP and ask.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
San Jose Gala moved

Sorry if this was posted already but if you bought the upscale ticket package for US Nats San Jose 2018,
you got a ticket for the Gala.
The gala has been moved to Monday. I was going to sell mine anyway so it doesnt effect my hotel or flights.
Your milage may vary.

From San Jose

Hello Chris,

Yes you are correct. They have moved the Spectacular to Monday January 8th!

Best,
Matt

Matt Hill
Account Executive – Arena Group Sales
Sharks Sports & Entertainment
525 W. Santa Clara St. | San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 977-4736
[email protected]

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So I'm guessing this means no "hey men you have to do your free skates then the medal ceremony and two hours later it's gala time!" mess in San Jose?

Nathan13

Medalist
That's sort of crazy, a gala on a Monday. Hope they don't actually expect people to attend :laugh: Seriously what is the harm of pushing the Dance or Men's short to Thursday, adding a FS to Friday night, and doing the Gala on Sunday, like a normal GP competition (except of course Skate America)? It's no wonder the sport is losing popularity in the United States.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That's sort of crazy, a gala on a Monday. Hope they don't actually expect people to attend :laugh: Seriously what is the harm of pushing the Dance or Men's short to Thursday, adding a FS to Friday night, and doing the Gala on Sunday, like a normal GP competition (except of course Skate America)? It's no wonder the sport is losing popularity in the United States.

I have to wonder if a live TV schedule is messing things up? The thing of it is...we really have no idea (unless some of you sluths do) of what will occur at the secondary Venue and at the Arena, or what other events will occur at the arena and when. And when the main arena will be available. If the gala is Monday evening, many locals may come. I am going home Monday and comming into the area early to either watch lower level skating or visit Frisco....the train runs right by my hotel and arena.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If anyone is wondering about the exact time, I will mention -- with a huge disclaimer that things obviously could change -- that a listing for Mon Jan 8 at 7:00 pm is visible here:

The times for all other days are TBA.

2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
Friday, December 29, 2017 TBA
Saturday, December 30, 2017 TBA
Sunday, December 31, 2017 TBA
Monday, January 1, 2018 TBA
Tuesday, January 2, 2018 TBA
Wednesday, January 3, 2018 TBA
Thursday, January 4, 2018 TBA
Friday, January 5, 2018 TBA
Saturday, January 6, 2018 TBA
Sunday, January 7, 2018 TBA
Monday, January 8, 2018 7:00 PM

Anyway .... it's too bad that the gala will be on Monday in the Olympic year of all years.

~ Even one extra/"lost" day in San Jose will be precious for skaters who are selected for Korea. (The Olympic team skating event could start on Fri Feb 9.)

~ And I do hope that the Monday gala will have a lot of spectators -- to give the Olympic team a good send-off; and even more importantly, to show an equal amount of support for all the other skaters who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much in pursuit of their Olympic dreams.​

BTW, another excerpt from the same page (emphasis added):

The 2018 U.S. Championships will be held Dec. 29, 2017-Jan. 8, 2018, with junior free skates and all championship level competitive sessions at SAP Center at San Jose and Solar4 America Ice at San Jose hosting all juvenile, intermediate and novice competition and junior short programs.

I know the original press release made a general reference to Sharks Ice at San Jose (now known as Solar4America Ice at San Jose), but I don't know whether it already was posted elsewhere on GS more specifically that the Junior SPs will not be at the SAP Center.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If anyone is wondering about the exact time, I will mention -- with a huge disclaimer that things obviously could change -- that a listing for Mon Jan 8 at 7:00 pm is visible here:

The times for all other days are TBA.

Anyway .... it's too bad that the gala will be on Monday in the Olympic year of all years.

~ Even one extra/"lost" day in San Jose will be precious for skaters who are selected for Korea. (The Olympic team skating event could start on Fri Feb 9.)

~ And I do hope that the Monday gala will have a lot of spectators -- to give the Olympic team a good send-off; and even more importantly, to show an equal amount of support for all the other skaters who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much in pursuit of their Olympic dreams.​

BTW, another excerpt from the same page (emphasis added):

The 2018 U.S. Championships will be held Dec. 29, 2017-Jan. 8, 2018, with junior free skates and all championship level competitive sessions at SAP Center at San Jose and Solar4 America Ice at San Jose hosting all juvenile, intermediate and novice competition and junior short programs.

I know the original press release made a general reference to Sharks Ice at San Jose (now known as Solar4America Ice at San Jose), but I don't know whether it already was posted elsewhere on GS more specifically that the Junior SPs will not be at the SAP Center.

Wow....that's a...well, this is a family forum.....
So the dinky little rink with the hockey shields and hard seats 4 miles from the main arena is where they will put everyone through Junior short? Really?
And I bet they knew this when the bid was put out to the USFS but no one is gonna tell US cause we would dramtically shorten our stay and maybe not buy all event packages.....
Now I have to wonder if the main arena just isnt available for most of the needed time and THATS why we have a Monday Gala....we may only be in the main arena Thursday Friday Sat. Sunday.
Sad news indeed...the old bait and switch. Well, at least at the Arena hotel I can cancel many of the days I had booked and just see the Arena events.....
That cruise to Hawaii is looking better and better. :(

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
That cruise to Hawaii is looking better and better. :(

Sorry to say, I'm undecided on San Jose now, leaning toward not going.

I'll definitely be in Vancouver for the GPF though! Not sure yet which event(s) I'll be attending between then and now...