SEEKING NOMINATIONS FOR SEASON'S LEAD PIPE AWARD | Golden Skate

SEEKING NOMINATIONS FOR SEASON'S LEAD PIPE AWARD

K

Kasey

Re: SEEKING NOMINATIONS FOR SEASON'S LEAD PIPE AWARD

Ummm...Okay, I can KIND OF figure out what you are speaking of....but not sure what would be considered acceptable for nomination...not fully knowing, my two would be these:

1. The interim judging system....what a freaking nightmare!

2. The ISU refusing to meet with the WSF

Are those appropriate nominations? If not, I've misunderstood (a frequent occurrence, sadly!)

Kasey

S

SammieJ

Re: SEEKING NOMINATIONS FOR SEASON'S LEAD PIPE AWARD

I catch your drift Kasey, but, Could this be explained for some of us newer posters? I take it you do this every year?
Sounds like a cool idea!

E

Emilieanne

Lead Pipe Award for 2003

This one is a slam-dunk...Speedy, of course!8o

L

Lynn1951

Re: Lead Pipe Award for 2003

Is this "award" like the one that sk8cynic done last December?
As I recall, hers garnered some very cool nominees :rollin:

Lynn

M

mmandel

Lynn1951, It does sound familiar.

L

Lynn1951

mmandel, Thanks, at least I know I'm not losing the rest of my mind! :lol: The concept sounded so familiar.

Lynn

M

mmandel

When did we do this in 2002? Did we use the same criteria and who won in 2002?

S

sk8cynic

Hey All,

For those of you new to GS, the Lead Pipe Awards are an idea I came up with a while back with my friends. I thought it would be fun to apply to the skating realm. I got great feedback, but when it came time to vote, the turnout was not exactly stellar, so I shelved it.

If everyone's up for it, I'll be happy to start it up again. I guess let's do two categories - one strictly skating related, one for current events. If we could keep it from becoming too evil, I'd say let's do one that's GS related.

For those new to GS or unfamiliar with this, here's the link to the original thread:

Original Lead Pipe Thread

Looking forward to hearing the nominees!!

V

valuvsmk

RealtorGal, so nice of you to help out sk8cynic. :)

S

sk8tngcanuck

As pertains to the skating world... and aside from the obvious... my nomination is Michael Weiss for his outlandish interviews and for jumping the gun on his expected victory.

S

sk8cynic

Okay, my nominees for the season:

For skating:

The Loverbukhs for nearly blinding the audience with their OD and FD costumes
The drill team that apparently went through the ice before the ladies' FS
Speedy (duh!)
ABC for chacking Sergei Davydov's FS for a "War Update" that wasn't
Takeshi Honda - For his Mummy FS
ABC and ESPN for giving commercials and fluff equal time with actual skating coverage
Roz Sumners for her rude comments at the Sears Open
The NBC Sarah Hughes Special
Sasha for saying "Um, you know" at least twice in every interview this season
Vika and Irina for the worst music editing of the season (close running with B&S for their Elvis/Marilyn program)
Mike Weiss for being sure to let us all know "where all the action happens"
Peggy Fleming for excessive use of the phrases "exquisite layback spin" and "pleasant [or nice] skater"
Ilia Averbukh for blaming their second place finish on the 'rude American audience'

More later. I haven't had enough caffeine this morning.

D

DORISPULASKI

Some more nominees:
skating:
The pink panther program of Scott and Dulebohn (this is only a 3rd place nomination, since they had the sense to not use it at worlds). All that was missing was an ad for insulation.

2nd place to Shizuka Arakawa, who while skating her Worlds SP in her topheavy swan costume fell over during her camel spin, (I had never seen this before at a senior level competition) thus getting deduction number one for failing an element. To compound the dumbness, she then got up and Repeated the Spin, which is a second mandatory deduction, which some of the judges took, thus taking herself completely out of contention. (And too darn bad, because I really like her skating.)

Honorable mention to Sasha for following Shizuka's example and also falling on a camel spin by letting the circle get way too wide and then blaming the fall on the ice (or the deep edges of previous competitors) when she said it was like a synchronized skating team had been using it.

First place to L&A, whose first mistake was using a rock and roll program, apparently to appeal to an American audience, but not taking the time to have smooth editing done, then him dressing in dayglo chartreuse jacket with Cyrillic letters all over it (what was that about?), having a Black Hawk Down moment with their helicopter lift, messing up the second dance lift as well, and then blaming the loss on the audience.

Honorable mention in commentating to Dick Button for the ice not mattering a rusty hoot. Also for explaining during T&M's LP "this is called a stag lift because it is supposed to resemble a stag jumping over a fence or a wall. That would be a stone wall." Unless this was a jab at the expressionlessness of Marinin while being jumped over by the stag Tomianina.

Honorable mention to Weiss as recorded above, for the bed, the Hummer, the hypnotist, and most of all for not knowing when to keep his mouth shut!. (His placing would be higher, except that he always does this)

Administration:
First place to Phyllis Howard for leading the WSF to believe the USFSA was supporting the WSF and then withdrawing support publicly.

Second place to WSF for believing Phyllis Howard, and announcing USFSA support without having PH beside them saying it herself.

Third place to Piseev for saying, "We only got 2 medals in an article, when in fact his team got 5 medals (1 gold (Plush), 3 silver (L&A,T&M,ES) and 1 bronze (P&T). There is no way to get 2 out of that. He also blamed the results on the audience.

Honorable mention for the ISU having Balkov, Korytek, Danilenko and Alpern all judging at the same event, especially when that event was scheduled to have a major unfair judging demonstration at it(Skatefair). Nothing like proving the point of the enemy.

Honorable mention to all the USFSA officials who pointedly left the Ladies SP at Nationals before Yebin Mok skated, when she gave a standing ovation worthy performance. They made it clear how much they don't care about their up and coming skaters.

dpp

M

maxell1313

Sk8cynic, this was such a great idea that you came up with!

All my votes go to Speedy, the ISU, and Phyllis Howard for being such tools and caring more about themselves than the skaters.

L

Lcp88

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The Loverbukhs for nearly blinding the audience with their OD and FD costumes[/quote]

LOL - why can't they get a friggin non-colorblind costume designer?!?!

Anywhoo, here are my personal nominations

L&A again, for blaming their loss of the judges favoring Bourne and Kraatz
Michelle- and this is minor - but that neon yellow outfit was just a little blinding...

I can't think of anymore right now.
Laura

S

starshinexavier

My votes go to Speedy and L&A.

L

Lynn1951

sk8cynic, Is is alright to nominate the same people as other poters have?

Lynn

S

sk8cynic

Lynn,

Absolutely!! I need to know which of these are the front runners so that I can pare down the list.

Anyone have any non-skating related nominees? I realize Saddam and Dubya are the likely frontrunners for this, but I'd love to see some others.

My nominees:

Michael @#%$ for his ridiculous abuse of an entertainment broadcast

Bobby Cox and John Shuerholtz for decimating the Brave's roster

Scott Peterson - no explanation needed

Roman Polanski - for remaining a coward after all these years, not to mention what he did to that girl. I don't give a rat's ass if she has let it go, he's still a major perv.

Madonna - for making that dog, Swept Away

Trent Lott - For making Mike Weiss' foot in mouth comments look positively tame and for being a racist jerk

Tom Daschle - For proving he is indeed a major boob and an insult to the Democratic party

Fox News - For their UberAmerican broadcast style

Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS - For inundating the viewing public with a barrage of ridiculous reality TV shows that make a mockery of marriage, relationships, talent, and looks.

FNC, CNN, and MSNBC - For the oversaturation of war coverage.

My cat Luci- For being the out-of-control diva @#%$ she is and ruining my keyboard, my husband's laptop, and the living room chair. Gotta love her though, I just can't help it.

More later, I've had enough caffeine, now I can't sit still.

M

mmandel

<strong>Here are my nominees.</strong>

1. ISU & their interim judging system.

2. Phyllis Howard for leading the WSF to believe the USFSA was supporting the WSF and then withdrawing support publicly.

3. Shizuka Arakawa wearing that tacky swan costume. I just can't get over this.

L

Lynn1951

<span style="color:purple;font-family:times new roman;font-size:medium;">Speedy-for everything that he's had a hand in screwing up
Michael Weiss-as posted above
The Sekret Computer

Lynn</span>