Sasha working on quad for upcoming season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha working on quad for upcoming season

R.D.

Record Breaker
I sure hope she doesn't injury herself trying it.

Why focus so much on somthing you just don't have? She should try for 3/3's before she focuses so much on the quad. IMO, her triples aren't secure enough at this point to take her focus off just skating clean, landing triples, staying in the game.

I feel the same that she should focus on 3/3 and fixing the flutz rather than quad.
She should get all her triples consistent, and have a balanced program. All her previous programs either front loaded or front and end loaded, or put same jumps back to back, or simplified choreography. A clean well balanced program with text book jumps, and her artistry will bring her the gold medal.

Same here. ITA with the above statements. There is, IMO, really no need to get excited. But if she really wants to try it, let her go for it. Just don't come running this way if it doesn't work out.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
KMK0902 said:
Haven't we all heard this before??? :confused:

K

Since I've had to listen to Michelle's "I've got to up the ante" ad nauseum since 1998, I'm willing to listen to Sasha talk about trying to work on the quad again. :eek: :p

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Quads

I suspect the quad talk is a psych-out maneuver. I believe that Sasha is indeed practicing it but I seriously doubt we will see it in a serious competition because frankly I don't believe she will ever get it consistent enough for the white hot pressure of a major event. However, if she can land some in practice or hit one in a cheesefest, it will draw attention and possibly unnerve her competitors.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
peachstatesk8er said:
Sometimes skaters work on something for a long time before perfecting it. If you'd read some posts from regular skaters on these boards you'd get the same feeling too, like, holy cow, they've been saying they're working on their lutz or axel for what, 2 years, lol. They're just not in the spotlight, but it's the same sort of thing. Heck some people have been working on their crossovers or mohawks for an awfully long time, but I don't see people saying snippy things about that. Only when it's an elite skater are they expected to just pick up an element overnight and trust me, it just doesn't work that way. Let's cut them some slack and give them credit for at least trying something new or different.

2003 - "I'm working on the quad"
2004 - "I'm almost there witht my quad attempts"
2005 - "I'm gonna starting working on the quad again, as I've left it for the past 2 years"

I think it's really unfair to compare the struggles of lesser skaters to this obvious ploy for media attention of an elite skater.

RealtorGirl, I lack your fortitude. Two wrongs will never make a right in my book. I hope they both shut-up. :laugh:

gezando

Final Flight

It is a good strategy for Sasha to work on it, and talk about it.

I am sure anything from some skaters will be be nauseum (ad or no ad) to some :p :eek: ;) :laugh:

Last edited:

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
I think it's really unfair to compare the struggles of lesser skaters to this obvious ploy for media attention of an elite skater.

:
No, it's not unfair. A struggle for a new skill is just that, a struggle, no matter what the level of skating. Sasha wrote this in *her* journal on *her* site that she updates for FANS, she didn't call the NY Times to give a report. That's no different, IMO, than the skaters who keep blogs or post reports from their practices on these public forums. Is that all a ploy for media attention, or is it informing people who might be interested in their progress? I think it's the latter.

RealtorGal, ITA.

I think skaters, like everyone else, have to try new stuff now and then to keep from getting stale. This can be a new technical element or some extra insight into interpreting a new peice of music. I like the idea that Sasha is practicing the quad Salchow, at least in the harness. I also think that she is being realistic when she says, "We'll see how it goes" before committing to trying the jump in competition.

In the past, under 6.0 judging, skaters for the most part were not penalized severely for trying hard tricks, even if they were not completely successful. The most interesting question, to me, that I hope the new season will answer is whether the CoP will encourage the dare-devils, or whether it will reward the skaters who concentrate on doing perfectly every element of a less difficult program.

Mathman

alina

Rinkside
At once when I read the topic it crossed my mind that Sasha should try for 3/3´s and improve her lutz. It´s good when someone tries something new to develop but I think first you have to have the basics. And with basics I mean for Sasha the jumps which are necessary to be "top 3". For me 3/3´s will be necessary to be on the podium next year. Everybody had seen the development of the ladies (especially the japanese ladies) in the last season. The 3/3´s will be the "basics" and a quad would be an "extra special".
COP: It would be disappointing if the COP would prevent us from watching outstanding elements. But I think if a skater would like to win he has to show everything he is able to do (especially at Worlds and Olympics).
Alina

Vash01

Medalist
PrincessLeppard said:
If she lands the quad, good for her. However, I would like to see her clean up her flutz (for the love, at least make it no so obvious), and work on getting more of an edge on her spiral. But that's just me. The judges are obviously looking to hand her medals, flutz and flat spirals not withstanding, so what the heck do I know? She doesn't need the quad to win, is I guess what I'm saying, so why risk injury trying to do it?

Laura :)

I too would like to see her clean up her flutz. However, having a quad in her repertoire will give her a distinct psychological advantage- even if she does not land it in the competition. There will be the intimidation factor. No skater with great jumping skills has the artistry to match hers. Shizuka is a very complete skater, but as we saw at Campbells, she cannot beat a clean skate by Sasha, even with a 3-3 combo.

Vash

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Sasha is such a lyrical skater........I hate it when a beautiful, flowing skater adds more difficult, jarring jumps to their programs. It upsets the flow, and goodness knows there are enough occurances on ice that disrupt any skater's flow, (tripping over footwork, falling out of a spin, popping a jump, ect.) I agree that she needs to clean up her jump entrances and develop a consistant triple-triple combo before her "ante" us upped! 42

registered

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
2003 - "I'm working on the quad"
2004 - "I'm almost there witht my quad attempts"
2005 - "I'm gonna starting working on the quad again, as I've left it for the past 2 years"

Well, she does have an ability to pull off a quad jump, she worked on it with John Nicks first, and made couple of unsuccessful attempts to land it in the competition. I've seen few videos of Sasha landing a quad in practice, with and without harness.

She worked on it again with Tarasova last summer, and there are numerous witnesses of her performing a quad Sal, among them famous champions, as well as young skaters, who trained in Simmsbury.

So, when she says she works on/desires to land quad in competition, it's not a lie, and not a wishful thinking! By "I let the quad go" she means that she didn't try to put it into her program in the course of the past 2 seasons.

I'm almost positive, that we'll see Sasha attempting it again, if not this year, than in the next Olympic season. She has a God's given ability, which few women in the world have -- to rotate a clean quad, not going for it would be a tremendous waist of talent. IMO Robin is an ideal coach to help Sasha to achieve this goal, since she's known for pushing technical envelope.

I think Sasha's journal perfectly reflects the mindset, she and Robin have at the moment. They work on different things, including a quad, but at the moment they're not sure if they'll actually put it in the program, and when. Why would Sasha (and Ms. Wagner) feel they need to lie about it? Because some judge may read Sasha's journal and give her an extra credit for working on quad during the off season? What's with the conspiracy theories?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't think it is a very good idea...but then again, what do I know? Sasha should do what she wants. But, honestly, I worry just because I feel that by focusing on the quad a couple of seasons ago she lost out on advancing more quickly up the international ladder. She went for the quad and then often fell apart. Perhaps it was the injury, or it just simply wasn't her time yet...but I don't think that the quad helped. As long as she doesn't go out hell-bent on landing it no matter what the cost, I don't think it is a huge issue. If she does....she could re-injure herself, shake up what appears to be a recent mental toughening, etc. Whatever she does, I just hope she is injury free and in a good position come 2006.

Fossi

Final Flight
registered said:

. IMO Robin is an ideal coach to help Sasha to achieve this goal, since she's known for pushing technical envelope.
QUOTE]
Robin pushes the technical envelope? I think it's the SKATER that does this.
One thing to remember is that Sasha is NO Sarah. Sarah was landing 3/3's consistently. Sasha has not been landing quads consistently. All this talk of landing in practice, or what not, doesn't matter. I've heard time and time again that what happens on competition ice is what counts. Sarah was able to go out time and time again with that 3/3. I have yet to see Sasha do that with a quad, or even a 3/3.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I think its great she is working on it... ballerinas dont only work on elements that will be in the upcoming show. But at the same time I agree that it wont help her that much if she falls apart after a missed quad attempt.

In general I dont enjoy the concept of women putting quads in programs anyway... the 2 times i've seen miki do it, it was not pretty to watch. And miki definately fell apart at marshalls after her quad. They should have jump offs or something, and maybe spin offs or leap offs as well. If you want skating to be all about tricks, take out the pressure to put together a routine and just do tricks. But for competitions I want to see well put together programs that are both artistic and technical.

soogar

Record Breaker
It's deja vu on how folks don't want to see quads. Longhornliz's sentiments have been expressed in the men's event 12 years ago when the men really started doing quads (2 attempts in 1992 Olympics). The guys weren't successful with them then but through time the quad is becoming commonplace. I'm pretty sure that in Scotty's day, the same sentiments have been expressed about the triple axel.

The girls are going to go through the same thing with the quad that the guys did. They're going to struggle with it, it'll be a novelty thing for a few years until someone wins an Olympic gold b/c they had a quad (a la Ilia Kulik) and then everyone is going to smell the coffee and start incorporating them into their programs. I think that had Midori won the OGM with her triple axel, more women would have gotten on the horn to get one. But b/c Kristi won with e 3/3 combo, the trend had gone in that direction.

The quad isn't going to become commonplace until after 2006 and even then I don't see the girls really going for it as a group. However if Miki wins the OGM with a quad salchow, I will bet that lots of girls will be attempting to incorporate that move into their programs.

I also don't understand the notion that programs are empty b/c of the quad. The men have always had a higher quality of skating than the women (artistry and jumps) and they do quads. Only in the women's field do you see "artists" and "jumpers" separated. And the artists rarely exhibit the speed and intricate choreography of the men.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The day I see "quads" common place with the female skaters, blasting jumps right and left while they skate, is the day I choose another sport to enjoy.....one with simpler lines and graceful beauty........if there's one left that is..... :\ 42

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, Kimmie Meissner just landed a 3A at Liberty Open in her LP. Sasha is just having some forethought to work on something that will keep her ahead of the little tigers, both here and abroad.

She's landed it in practice; I think it's legit to say so, even if it is a psych out move.

However, whoever said that the comment she made was a joke, should not consider a career on comedy channel.