Free Martha | Golden Skate

Free Martha

Longhornliz

Final Flight
5 months isnt too bad actually, and I'll always be a fan no matter how much hard time they give her. I just had to get that out, sorry.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Liz, I agree......in fact, this would be a good time for Pres. Bush to use his pardon option as president..................42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
why? Because an ex-broker cheated people out of money? yeah... Bush going and freeing Iraq was wrong... but somehow freeing Martha from 5 months of prison is right... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I dun think so.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Dumping 50 thousand worth of stock and bombing a country aren't exactly the same thing, not by a long shot. People are prosecuted all the time for making poor "stock market" choices. The fact that Martha was a successful business women and an American icon was one of the reasons the prosecutors went after her with a vengeance.......way too much media attention for the "crime" committed........let's put everything into perspective now................if he can liberate a country, what's one more person? 42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't feel the least bit sorry for Martha. She is getting her "just desserts" - no pun intended. As far as I am concerned, the homemaking Diva is as "phoney as a two dollar bill." Just because someone has lots of power, money and fame it does mean they are above the law!

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
If she gets five months, Ken Lay and his cronies deserve the death penalty. Oh, wait, I don't support the death penalty. Life in prison, no hope for parole.

What Martha did was wrong, but there are shades of wrongness. Martha didn't cheat thousands of people out of billions of dollars. She didn't shut down access to people's retirement plans so that people couldn't switch out their Enron stock, she didn't tell people to keep buying Enron even with personal knowledge that the whole company was collapsing.

I'm not a huge fan of Martha, but I believe she was prosecuted so heavily because she was a successful woman. Your opinion may differ.

Laura :)

mike79

On the Ice
She deserves her jail time. Just because it's Martha Stewart she doesn't deserve a free pass. I'm glad she's been found guilty but it's like she'll be serving hard time. She'll end up in some easygoing minimum security prison with tons of leisure activities at her disposal. If it were some no name person things would be much different.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm not a huge fan of Martha, but I believe she was prosecuted so heavily because she was a successful woman. Your opinion may differ.

My point exactly, Princess.........42

Longhornliz

Final Flight
mike79 said:
She deserves her jail time. Just because it's Martha Stewart she doesn't deserve a free pass. I'm glad she's been found guilty but it's like she'll be serving hard time. She'll end up in some easygoing minimum security prison with tons of leisure activities at her disposal. If it were some no name person things would be much different.

I disagree at your perspective of what federal prison is like even though it may be a minimum security facillity. And its not like she got off easy in that she isnt doing "hard time" not every crime merits the same punishment... but prision sucks no matter how club fed it is thought to be.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Martha took a stock tip and lied about it later. She did not steal from anyone.
AFAIK, Martha did not get convicted of securities' fraud. She was acquitted of that. She got convicted of lying to a federal investigator.

However lying to convict someone (the writing expert in her case, in a different case) or lying to get on a jury (one of her jurors) apparently does not send you to prison.

She got convicted because:
1. Scapegoat for Enron, (Lay, Fastow, Skilling), Koslosky, other corporate criminals who stole millions. The government cannot afford to appear weak on corporate crime at this time.
2. While looking for scapegoat, which one is a woman? (Lots of resentment for rich women in this country. Consider the case of Patty Hearst.)
3. While looking for scapegoat, which one contributes to party not in power? (Martha) If Dems were in power, it would be another scapegoat, just not Martha, sadly.

Martha is a first time offender with no likelihood of flight. The sentence is typical of such a person. Her broker, who had additional charges, got the same sentence.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I think that had she fessed up to what she had done and not compounded the felony with denial and defiance, she might not be facing jail time. It seems to me that her attitude didn't sit well at a time when the judicial system has been under fire for displaying leniency towards celebrities who seem to feel that they are above the law. Contrition might have been the better way to go.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think that had she fessed up to what she had done and not compounded the felony with denial and defiance, she might not be facing jail time. It seems to me that her attitude didn't sit well at a time when the judicial system has been under fire for displaying leniency towards celebrities who seem to feel that they are above the law. Contrition might have been the better way to go.

Unfortunately, I think you're right, RGal.............42

liberal

Rinkside
Martha Stewart was targeted for prosecution for the reasons already stated here.
It was so blatant, which is why people who do not necessarily like Martha are supporting her.
I find her over the top at time, but what does that have to do the issue at hand.

I can only hope that those that believe that Martha got her “just dessert” are never a targeted for prosecution.