Do costumes augment or detract? | Golden Skate

Do costumes augment or detract?

Do costumes add or subtract from the effectiveness of a figure skating program?

I though of this watching the Russian test skate videos. Evgenia Medvedeva looked great in her athletic practice leotard. I can't imagine a skating costume costume in which she would look any better.

Many costumes just look silly. Others are like, well, you have to wear something so I wore this. Still others try to look like what Juliet Capulet is imagined to have worn, or Price Igor.

What are some examples of programs where the costume greatly enhances the presentation?

Nathan13

Medalist
I though of this watching the Russian test skate videos. Evgenia Medvedeva looked great in her athletic practice leotard. I can't imagine a skating costume costume in which she would look any better.

I would bet money that the gloves will be back :rolleye:

I think sometimes a skater really just doesn't need the costume to help tell the story (i.e. Ashley's black dress for Hip Hip Chin Chin, the Shibutani's Fix You costumes). Personally I think color is the most important, make-or-break feature of a costume. If it sharply contrasts the mood of the music, then I find it really distracting. I noticed this last week at Lombardia for Mirai's Winner Takes It All FP. Her dress is bright red and purple, and it doesn't match the soft music AT ALL. It's annoying.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would bet money that the gloves will be back :rolleye:

I think sometimes a skater really just doesn't need the costume to help tell the story (i.e. Ashley's black dress for Hip Hip Chin Chin, the Shibutani's Fix You costumes). Personally I think color is the most important, make-or-break feature of a costume. If it sharply contrasts the mood of the music, then I find it really distracting. I noticed this last week at Lombardia for Mirai's Winner Takes It All FP. Her dress is bright red and purple, and it doesn't match the soft music AT ALL. It's annoying.

I think Mirai's dress is a work in progress. I think she just used an old dress.

Nathan13

Medalist
I think Mirai's dress is a work in progress. I think she just used an old dress.

I'm sure it is. I did't mean to sound like I'm bashing Mirai, and I thought the program was beautiful overall. I just couldn't conjure another example. :slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm sure it is. I did't mean to sound like I'm bashing Mirai, and I thought the program was beautiful overall. I just couldn't conjure another example. :slink:

I didn't think you were bashing Mirai -- I just wanted you to be aware that she'll probably have another dress. :)

Matilda

Medalist
I think I said the same last year: no matter whether some in the audience like or dislike a costume, if it helps the skater to portray a character or get into the mood of the program, I'm all for it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
deleted my original comments

(Sorry, I was thinking of Mirai's SP dress at Lombardia, but I see now that Nathan was referring to her FS dress at Lombardia.
I thought her FS dress at Lombardia was fine. Eye of the beholder. I do not know whether it is her final costume?
As for her SP, Mirai herself has said that we have yet to see her "real" (my word) dress. https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu/status/776681937121357824 )

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
All attires being seen may augment or distract from one's objective. When thousands of eyes in the arena, plus possibly millions online, are on you, what you wear inevitably matters.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
deleted my original comments

(Sorry, I was thinking of Mirai's SP dress at Lombardia, but I see now that Nathan was referring to her FS dress at Lombardia.
I thought her FS dress at Lombardia was fine. Eye of the beholder. I do not know whether it is her final costume?
As for her SP, Mirai herself has said that we have yet to see her "real" (my word) dress. https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu/status/776681937121357824 )

Oh opps. I thought it was the FS.. oh well.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think that Pogorilaya's costume for her "Tango in the Madhouse" EX really augmented the performance.
I think that a costume should get the audience in the right mood before the performance starts and it should also make the audience understand the performance better. There's no stage set so I think the costume is very important.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think there are some skaters who consistently have beautiful dresses that fit the music but don't overshadow the skating. Mirai's dresses are always beautiful. Gracie Gold. Going back a few years, Jill Trenary, Michelle Kwan, Alyssa Cszny, and some of Nancy Kerrigan's. What I don't like to see with women is anything with scarves flying around, hate gloves, unitards (Carolina Kostner - ugly!!!! IMO) tights that are not skin tone, panties that don't fit and their butt is hanging out (Katelyn Osmund - horrible fitting panties.) On the other hand, Lip's Schindler's List was spot on. I think sometimes the Japanese women are over-glitzed and yet some of them are beautiful. For the men, too many sparkly stuff - rhinestones, etc. looks silly to me. The only male skater that can pull that kind of costume off is Johnny Weir and you expect it from him. Jason's Riverdance was the exception - it fit the music. Basically for men I really like plain, plain, plain or just a little sparkle on the top. Thought Adam's costumes last year were great with the music - especially the Beatle's Medley. And at the risk of sounding prudish, I don't like the men's pants to fit so tight that there is no doubt they are boys. Heh! Heh! I guess the bottom line for me is that the costume should fit well, not be distracting and have some relationship to the music. But the skating should be the focal point, not the costume.

mrrice

Record Breaker
All attires being seen may augment or distract from one's objective. When thousands of eyes in the arena, plus possibly millions online, are on you, what you wear inevitably matters.

100% Correct!! They most definitely add. I think Ashley Wagner was a perfect example of that last year. IMO, She is the US version of Maria Butyrskaya. Maria only won one World Title and was considered old when she finally won her title. Like Maria, I think Ashley uses her looks and maturity to enhance her programs but she does it a very sophisticated fashion. Most important though, is how the skater performs. I think Ashley's LP Costume would have been too much had she not committed fully to her Character. I hope that made sense.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Depends on the costume of course.

Usually augument, though. I often find myself wishing a skater would wear something more special, something that would reflect the program more, something that would add to the impact.

That said, there is something to be said for the tight black pants and top training wear in case of ladies, it often showcases their body and movement better than costumes. But if I saw something too much like training wear in competition, I'd probably complain. I'm definitely in favor of pants on girls though, Yulia Lpinitskaya's Ex costume comes to mind. I hope she will wear pants for her Kill Bill program, although I'd rather not see them yellow...:laugh:

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
I believe costumes almost always detract, at least in singles and pairs. I would much prefer to see skaters in athletic gear similar to what they practice in. It's easier to see the skating without the (usually) overdone costumes. I would make an exception for dance, where costumes enhance and emphasize the spirit of the dance, especially in the Short Dance.

Spiral

Final Flight
I agree that graceful female skaters like Evgenia, Yulia, Anna, etc., look great in a black leotard, but I must admit that after watching one performance after another of skaters dressed in black sports attire, I begin wishing for some variety.

I think most skaters have an excellent taste, and their costumes are a pleasure to behold. A good costume can not only help create the mood, but also enhance the skater's body lines and accentuate his/her movements.

I will admit, though, that I'm a puritan, and so I don't find attractive women's costumes which look like underwear or men's costumes with see-through shirts, or even unbuttoned shirts and/or untied ties (to me it looks sloppy). Still, each season the number of costumes I loved or liked far outweichs the number of costumes I didn't like.