Canadian juniors: JGP | Golden Skate

Canadian juniors: JGP

Sackie

Medalist
We have now finished 4 JR events and so far not one medal for Canada! When was the last time the Can JRs started off so slowly? The best we have done is a couple 4th place finishes! Not looking good for our JRs in any field. Lets hope Nadeau can pull off some medals to save JR team Canada!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and Roman !
We have now finished 4 JR events and so far not one medal for Canada! When was the last time the Can JRs started off so slowly? The best we have done is a couple 4th place finishes! Not looking good for our JRs in any field. Lets hope Nadeau can pull off some medals to save JR team Canada!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, I read the headline and thought "Can Juniors, What? "Why?" Then I went ohhhhhhh, I get it. I don't really follow Juniors but the Canadian Seniors are always in the mix so, I wouldn't worry too much about how the juniors are doing. Plus, it's still relatively early in the season.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The title is like a puzzle before you read the OP.

I got a good impression on Alicia FABBRI / Claudio PIETRANTONIO in ice dance. They are fourth at the JGP of Russia, but are promising. In ladies...no skater stood out, which is no wonder. In men, I'm wondering whether Nadeau is going to compete in juniors as he was out of entry lists at two JGP events. Roman still has a chance to medal in another event. Pairs..don't know.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
is he done? doesn't he get 2?

Roman skated only at the JGP of Japan. He was placed at 5th, but the field was the most toughest so far. He will compete in another JGP later. Anyone in the top 6 could've been the winner of the French JGP event when we just talk about their scores or performance-wise.

olayolay

On the Ice
Seems like a developing year for Canadian juniors, but I wouldn't worry yet. The senior field is actually fairly young and will likely continue to at least Beijing 2022, giving time for the juniors to grow. Ice dance seems the most dire with Virtue/Moir and Weaver/Poje retiring after 2018 and at least half of last year's senior field retiring or splitting up, and no obvious up and comers. Ladies still has Daleman/Osmond/Chartrand (whether they're serious podium contenders is another story), men still has Nguyen if he gets out of his growth spurt alive, and pairs has Seguin/Bilodeau who will shock me if they never become world medalists.

Weathergal

Medalist
Ok, I read the headline and thought "Can Juniors, What? "Why?" Then I went ohhhhhhh, I get it. I don't really follow Juniors but the Canadian Seniors are always in the mix so, I wouldn't worry too much about how the juniors are doing. Plus, it's still relatively early in the season.

IKR... I don't want the juniors to get canned! :disagree:

The title is like a puzzle before you read the OP.

I got a good impression on Alicia FABBRI / Claudio PIETRANTONIO in ice dance. They are fourth at the JGP of Russia, but are promising. In ladies...no skater stood out, which is no wonder. In men, I'm wondering whether Nadeau is going to compete in juniors as he was out of entry lists at two JGP events. Roman still has a chance to medal in another event. Pairs..don't know.

Agree on the title--wondering if the OP wouldn't mind expanding the title a bit. (Whoops now I'm using initials, too!)

Sackie

Medalist
Sorry I guess I should have used all caps for CAN! Yes Roman does have one more chance to medal but there is no way he can make the JGP Final. So the only one with a chance now is Nadeau. And yes CAN SR might usually be in the mix but what happens when the current SRs retire! And if they don't establish themselves now in the JRs they won't really have much of a chance in the SRs.

mrrice

Record Breaker
And yes CAN SR might usually be in the mix but what happens when the current SRs retire! And if they don't establish themselves now in the JRs they won't really have much of a chance in the SRs.

In my fantasy, when they're older they will be coached by the recently retired Patrick Chan. From that point on, they will rise like a phoenix.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^ Actually, I think it would be nice if the word "Canadian was spelled out in the title..and juniors for that matter. It's very vague. But anyway. Nicolas is only entered in the final JGP event, presumably because he was injured. And no offense because I do like him, but I'll be rather upset if he spoils someone else's chance for the final since he has no chance to go either. Jun Hwan Cha, Alexei Erokhov, Alexander Samarin, and Andrew Torgashev are all supposed to compete there too. :drama:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to yesterday's update of the SLO event, Nadeau was withdrawn. I'm not sure if it's because Aliev was moved from the EST event to SLO (avoiding Zhou). So far, Nadeau's name hasn't shown up on the EST roster, so if he is only doing GER, he won't make the final.

Maybe he will get on the EST list, which isn't as competitive anymore, since both Aliev and Krasnozhon are moved to SLO. The top competition in EST is Vincent Zhou, who has a silver medal and needs at least another silver to clinch the final, and Roman Sadovsky, who was 5th in his last event. Even if Roman can win gold in Estonia, he won't make the final with only 22 points.

The competition in GER is the worst, with two gold medalists: the men's top scorer Cha (239.47) and Samarin (228.33) plus Andrew Torgashev, who won silver in his first event returning from an 18-month absence due to a broken ankle. Nadeau, who is scheduled to skate there, won't have an easy time making the podium.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well, that happens all the time... how many russians are only doing cup or russia? thinking about pairs for instance or adelina... maybe they spoil chances of other to qualify... at least Nicolas is injured and has a good reason not to participate in earlier GP. In the end, he had earned two spots, so he is doing a favour to some by not taking two.

^ Actually, I think it would be nice if the word "Canadian was spelled out in the title..and juniors for that matter. It's very vague. But anyway. Nicolas is only entered in the final JGP event, presumably because he was injured. And no offense because I do like him, but I'll be rather upset if he spoils someone else's chance for the final since he has no chance to go either. Jun Hwan Cha, Alexei Erokhov, Alexander Samarin, and Andrew Torgashev are all supposed to compete there too. :drama:

Thread title fixed -- reluctantly! The original title certainly attracted a lot of attention. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
also, well... i don't follow juniors so much I have to admit... I follow canadian juniors a bit more... but not that much more... why? because the transition to senior is often not happening that easily or smoothly... For instance, i was expecting a lot from Rogozine.... well.. nothing came out of that...

Here is why I don't worry so much about Juniors for Canada. I think that our system has a different learning curve. A lot of our best skaters internationally didn't win junior worlds or qualify to JGP finals. Yet, once grown up, they catch up and develop to good senior skaters. Of course, there will be some retirements in a couple years but I am not too worried.

Let's look at the situation.

Patrick will retire for sure.
Kevin, most likely will retire (but I wouldn't even be surprised if he stuck around 1 year, especially to win Nationals?)
Elladj and Liam are getting a bit old now but considering that they haven't had their chance under the spotlight, they may stick around for a year or two? Just to attempt to win Nationals?

in any case, let's imagine all these guys are gone. Nam is still there with a decent world experience. What I saw from him this weekend at USA Series B was encouraging compared to last year. Let's not forget how young he is.

Nicolas by then, and also Roman will be in their best years. So for men, it could be between Nam, Nicolas and Roman with the other 2 junior boys (celestino and phan coming to bloom as well).

For ladies ; i doubt anyone of the top 3 would retire if healthy. They are still of age to compete and will perhaps want to continue doing so when some others like Mao and Ashley do retire. In the meantime, who knows how younger girls will develop. There are some good novices I have read about in the threads.

Pairs :

Duhamel Radford gone.
I/M gone.

MTM2.0 well apparently Kirsten wanted to keep going until 2022 so they would be still around.

Bilodeau Seguin would still be competing... and I am not worried about pairs that much. Canada always manages to have top ten pair teams... and by 2018, two of these top ten pairs would still be competing.

Dance... fine ... V/M and Weapo should be over by 2018. But I am pretty convinced that Piper and Paul will keep going. Paul has been around for a long time but he is still relatively young for an ice dancer. He is not even 25 yet. They could definitely keep going until 2022... and well, with all the top teams retiring, they would be contenders. I think dance is a bit scarier right now with all the switches happening recently.... and some of the retirements as well. But if some teams seem to be having trouble (P/I) juniors seem to be developing. With two great coaching teams (Lane and Montreal) I am not too worried.

So yeah... Canadian figure skating has not been looking as good in years I'd say ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kim Decelles skated the FS last night at the US International Classic Challenge. She was in 7th place after the SP with 48.37 for 3t+2t<, 3z-hd, 2a.

She scored 72.04 in the FS: 3z-so, 3f↓, 2a+2t-so, 1z, 1lo, 3s-so-hd, 3t-so and dropped to 9th of 12 skaters. She has some nice qualities in her skating, but doesn't have the strength to power through her jumps completely. It's clear that she lacks confidence in herself, as she almost seems to anticipate that a jump won't go right, hence the pops, step outs and hands down. She had step-outs and hands down to some extent in her summer comps, but overall she skated a lot better over the summer.

BTW, what happened to Veronik Mallet? She was listed to compete at this event, but her name wasn't in the final list of competitors.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Kim Decelles skated the FS last night at the US International Classic Challenge. She was in 7th place after the SP with 48.37 for 3t+2t<, 3z-hd, 2a.

She scored 72.04 in the FS: 3z-so, 3f↓, 2a+2t-so, 1z, 1lo, 3s-so-hd, 3t-so and dropped to 9th of 12 skaters. She has some nice qualities in her skating, but doesn't have the strength to power through her jumps completely. It's clear that she lacks confidence in herself, as she almost seems to anticipate that a jump won't go right, hence the pops, step outs and hands down. She had step-outs and hands down to some extent in her summer comps, but overall she skated a lot better over the summer.

BTW, what happened to Veronik Mallet? She was listed to compete at this event, but her name wasn't in the final list of competitors.

I would assume that Mallet had to withdraw due to either injury or bereavement.

I wonder if that means that SC will have to replace Mallet for Skate Canada. I guess that these senior B's will be very interesting.

My guess is that if Veronica can't make SC that it will go to whichever Canadian lady skates best in the senior B's.

The predictor in me says that Michelle Long will get that spot if for no other reason than she has good presentation and is at least consistent with the limited jump content ( no lutz , 3-3 or reliable flip ) that she has. There aren't any great choices for that TBA anyway.

Kim Decelles usually has great summer competitions especially in Quebec. Her sister Emy usually skates well in Detroit ( but does even fewer jumps than Kim ). Both have had 2 years of JGP experience and both have struggled there. Both tend to peak in summer competitions ( hence they both got JGPs for 2 seasons ) but struggle afterwards. Emy did not even make it out of the challenge for junior ladies last year.

As far as the ladies go, I think you have to look at 1st year juniors and novices to find the sucessor to the Chartrand , Daleman , Osmond trio. The next lady is several years away.

Last edited: