Meissner Lands 8 TRIPLES | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Meissner Lands 8 TRIPLES

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
soogar said:
MasterB:
Asada is a scary little girl. However none of the girls jump like Midori. Midori got monster height and hang time on her jumps. Most of the girls rotate fast to complete the jump.

Hmm. I can't decide if all this jumping news is good or not. I'm not really thrilled at how jumps seem to be the end all be all of winning. Pushing those jumps have really hurt skaters. Take Naomi Nari Nam for example, that girl had so much star potential. One injury and she's fighting just to get back to nationals. But then again Timmy summed it up, even if you aren't willing to risk it, someone else is. But congrats to Kimmie. I hope she can continue to be successful and make a huge splash at nationals this year. And by the looks of it, the years leading to 2010 may be ruled by Kimmie, Katy (who is also working on the 3axel I believe), MIki Ando, and Mao Asada (who I think is going to surpass Ando because her presentation is already much better than Ando)

Won't she be 16 by the time the Olys roll around? That will be the perfect age for a gold medal. Check out the history of the Olys.

I saw her skate at Jr. Nats lst January. She is good and so is her rival, Katy Taylor. Did Katy skate in this competition? I think the two of them have int'l assignments this coming season.

If Kimmie is eligible for the 06 Olys, she and Taylor will be contenders. They have the age in their favor. The two top USA skaters are performance oriented. I think the young jumpers will be at the top if allowed to skate.

But then, there's Japan. :rolleye:

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Master B:
Midori still does a triple axel? She hasn't competed in years. Where does she do them? In exhibition?

2006 Olympics: If MK and Sasha are still around (more MK than Sasha), those are the two going to the games. I can see the USFSA putting Kimmie or Katy in that third spot.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
PrincessLeppard said:
And, completely off topic, when will she lose the "Kimmie"? It's cute at 14, it won't be so cute much longer. Or am I being catty? :p
:laugh: OT, but "Johnny" drives me crazy as well. Is he a cute 14 year old girl, or does he just skate like one? Is "Katy" Taylor's full name, or is she Katherine or something? I Have no Idea if Meissner's name is indeed Kimberly. I once knew a guy named Matt. No, it wasn't a nick-name for Mathew, his parents had legally named him Matt. They were from CA.

berthes ghost said:
:laugh: OT, but "Johnny" drives me crazy as well. Is he a cute 14 year old girl, or does he just skate like one? Is "Katy" Taylor's full name, or is she Katherine or something? I Have no Idea if Meissner's name is indeed Kimberly. I once knew a guy named Matt. No, it wasn't a nick-name for Mathew, his parents had legally named him Matt. They were from CA.

Any girl who could skate like Johnny would be the Olympic Champion, imo.

I don't see the relevance of the meaning of skater's names.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
I think it's great that Kimmie can land all these jumps, and I think she is a contender, but maybe not just yet. She has excellent presentation skills for a girl her age, but not measured against seniors like Kwan, Cohen or Arakawa.

Kimmie is only 14, and will not turn 15 until October, so she won't be eligible for the senior GP and Olympics and senior Worlds until the 2005-2006 season. The big question is what will happen when (and if) her body starts to mature? We've seen what the puberty monster has done to Carolina Kostner, Louann Donovan, and now even Cynthia Phaneuf, who skated poorly at Liberty. It remains to be seen if growth will affect Kimmie's technique, and force her to retrain her jumps. She could get lucky and stay tiny, like Tara. But as others have pointed out, even though Tara stayed tiny, she overtrained and injured herself. Let's hope Kimmie won't fall into that trap.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Regarding the name issue, I belive I read on Unseen Skaters that she now lists herself as "Kimberly" for competitions, not Kimmie.

I don't think either Meissner or Taylor will likely be on the 2006 Olympic Team. Neither one will have exposure at Worlds the year before, and even Grand Prix placements are unlikely to get them Olympic spots if Cohen, Kirk, Kwan and others skate clean. USFS will not send "semi-unknowns" (to international judges) to the O's when they have well known quantities who are very competitive. Even Taylor and Meissner themselves have set their sights on 2010, not 2006.

soogar

Record Breaker
The USFSA did send Sasha Cohen to the Olympics and she didn't have Worlds experience. There's no doubt in my mind that MK (if she continues) and Sasha will be on the Olympic team. However Kirk does not have the results and I highly doubt that Kirk will be in it for a medal at the Olympic games. I can see the USFSA sending a Kimmie or Katy just to give them experience at a high level. Also Kimmie/Katy have a shot at surprising everyone and winning a medal. At this time, I have more faith in Kimmie in getting a medal or even posting a top 5 finish at the Olympics than Jenny Kirk.

Kirk is not a lock for the Olympic team. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Amber got the nod to go to Worlds next year.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I wouldn't be surprised If the USFSA sent an unknown to the Olys, they've done it for years (Owen in 60, Lynn in 68, Fratianne in 76, Lenz in 80). Just as long as they have Kwan and Cohen as two very strong candidates for gold, the 3rd person isn't that big a deal.

That having been said, in 02 Cohen had 2 whole GP season under her belt, which is different than Kimmie and Katy who will only have the 05-06 season if they are invited.

Also, are the Junior event judges really different judges that the senior event ones? Will Junior world medalist really be strangers to senior international judges?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
:laugh: OT, but "Johnny" drives me crazy as well. Is he a cute 14 year old girl, or does he just skate like one? Is "Katy" Taylor's full name, or is she Katherine or something?

Katie Couric is still "Katie"--what's the big deal? I remember when the network tried introducing her as "Katherine" to make her sound more professional I suppose, but that went over like a lead balloon, so they went back to calling her "Katie." :D

MasterB

Final Flight
Not waiting

Trust me when I tell you that Kimmie and Katy are not training for 2010. They are training for right now, 2010 is an eternity away for them. Tara and Carol Heiss went into the Olympics as hopefuls for the next game and they won the early games shocking everyone. Carol Heiss said that young children don't know about waiting they want it now.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Meissner lands..........

Regarding Katie as opposed to Kate or Katherine (Kathleen) whatever. It's just a matter of opinion.

Personally, I don't like a childish name like Katie or even Timmy. To me it equates with calling someone "Bunny or Pookie".

As far as Katie Couric goes......well doesn't the name fit? Just my opinion....can't stand her.

Dizzy

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And, completely off topic, when will she lose the "Kimmie"? It's cute at 14, it won't be so cute much longer. Or am I being catty? :pLaura :)
Yes, LAURIE, you are. :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, we have all seen Kimmie skate, it was at the 2003?? Nationals in Texas. She skated in the exhibition programs.

Dee

berthes ghost

Final Flight
MasterB said:
Trust me when I tell you that Kimmie and Katy are not training for 2010. They are training for right now, 2010 is an eternity away for them. Tara and Carol Heiss went into the Olympics as hopefuls for the next game and they won the early games shocking everyone. Carol Heiss said that young children don't know about waiting they want it now.
Your overall point may stand, but you're wrong about Heiss and Lipinski.

Carol was so devastated by her silver medal in Cortina that she threw a hissy fit in front of journalists and was officially repremanded by the USFSA for her ungracious behavior. She may have shocked everyone, but it wasn't by winning. The only judge to give her the nod in the FS was the US judge. She had to indeed "wait her turn" until 1960.

After winning 97 worlds, Tara very much entered the Oly season as a favorite to win. The only reason why Kwan was given an edge by most was that she thouroughly trouncehd Tara at both SA and Nats, and Tara also blew Lalique.

floskate

On the Ice
Well good for Kimberly/Kimmie - whatever! lol This is what the US girls are going to have to do to be successful against the Japanese and Kostner after 2006.

But why is Mao Asada scary? She's out there doing these things at an early age but she's not exactly consistent. I remember Frank Carroll quoted in Brennan's Inside Edge that you have to hammer the technical when they're young and just hope they can adjust through puberty to hang onto it. That's all Asada is doing. If Mai is anything to go by, she'll end up quite tall, but thin so she probably will hang onto what shes learning. She also does a quad sal - there's a rinkside clip of her nearly landing it in training.

As for Midori as someone said earlier - I don't know if she does them now, but she stepped out of one at 2001 Japan Open at the age of 31. Apparently in practise they were rock solid :eek:

But back to Kimmie. I think if she stays fairly consistent and wins World Juniors next year - which is a big possibility - then she'd be a good bet for the US third spot. Look how well Ando did on her senior international debut. :)

floskate

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
Your overall point may stand, but you're wrong about Heiss and Lipinski.

Carol was so devastated by her silver medal in Cortina that she threw a hissy fit in front of journalists and was officially repremanded by the USFSA for her ungracious behavior. She may have shocked everyone, but it wasn't by winning. The only judge to give her the nod in the FS was the US judge. She had to indeed "wait her turn" until 1960.

After winning 97 worlds, Tara very much entered the Oly season as a favorite to win. The only reason why Kwan was given an edge by most was that she thouroughly trouncehd Tara at both SA and Nats, and Tara also blew Lalique.

OOH I never knew about this hissy fit! Are there any links or was it in a particular book? More details please!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
berthes ghost: "Also, are the Junior event judges really different judges that the senior event ones? Will Junior world medalist really be strangers to senior international judges?"

I think it's a question as to who these skaters have successfully competed against. It's a lot easier to win an event against Junior skaters than against Seniors. Having said that, Miki Ando DID get respect from the judges, but then again she was the Japanese National Champion, having defeated the prior Worlds bronze medalwinner and the current GPF bronze medalist.

I agree, if the USFSA can send Kwan and Cohen, they'd have no problem sending a relative unknown on the senior international scene. I'd question whether they'd send both Taylor and Meissner instead of a Kwan or Cohen, though.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well Cohen is going, barring serious, incapacitating injury. This isn't gymnastics so MK will probably go even if she doesn't make the podium in 2005 Worlds (which I think is a serious possibility). All this talk about Meissner and Katy but with girls that young and small, it probably pays to wait a while before making predictions. If they can keep their level up and post great results at Junior Worlds, I predict that the higher finisher at Junior Worlds will be given that 3rd place on the team.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Young skaters, "childish" names

soogar said:
All this talk about Meissner and Katy but with girls that young and small, it probably pays to wait a while before making predictions. If they can keep their level up and post great results at Junior Worlds, I predict that the higher finisher at Junior Worlds will be given that 3rd place on the team.
The U.S. has usually used placement at Nationals as the Olympic qualifier -- if that's what comp was being referred to above (there was reference to 2005 Worlds, so I assumed the discussion is beyond that). As I said elsewhere, it will remain to be seen what kind (if any) growth spurt Kimmie or Katy undergo and what affects (if any) that will have on their skating abilities. For now, they are skating well and should make a very good impression this season if they continue to do so.

RE: "childish" names. Anyone remember the 39th POTUS? Or that former icon of late-night TV? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer's Johnny! :D