Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Meissner Lands 8 TRIPLES

Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    OT, but "Johnny" drives me crazy as well. Is he a cute 14 year old girl, or does he just skate like one? Is "Katy" Taylor's full name, or is she Katherine or something?
    Katie Couric is still "Katie"--what's the big deal? I remember when the network tried introducing her as "Katherine" to make her sound more professional I suppose, but that went over like a lead balloon, so they went back to calling her "Katie." :D

Custom Title

Not waiting

Trust me when I tell you that Kimmie and Katy are not training for 2010. They are training for right now, 2010 is an eternity away for them. Tara and Carol Heiss went into the Olympics as hopefuls for the next game and they won the early games shocking everyone. Carol Heiss said that young children don't know about waiting they want it now.

Custom Title

Meissner lands..........

Regarding Katie as opposed to Kate or Katherine (Kathleen) whatever. It's just a matter of opinion.

Personally, I don't like a childish name like Katie or even Timmy. To me it equates with calling someone "Bunny or Pookie".

As far as Katie Couric goes......well doesn't the name fit? Just my opinion....can't stand her.

Dizzy

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    And, completely off topic, when will she lose the "Kimmie"? It's cute at 14, it won't be so cute much longer. Or am I being catty? Laura
    Yes, LAURIE, you are.

BTW, we have all seen Kimmie skate, it was at the 2003?? Nationals in Texas. She skated in the exhibition programs.

Dee

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB
    Trust me when I tell you that Kimmie and Katy are not training for 2010. They are training for right now, 2010 is an eternity away for them. Tara and Carol Heiss went into the Olympics as hopefuls for the next game and they won the early games shocking everyone. Carol Heiss said that young children don't know about waiting they want it now.
    Your overall point may stand, but you're wrong about Heiss and Lipinski.

Carol was so devastated by her silver medal in Cortina that she threw a hissy fit in front of journalists and was officially repremanded by the USFSA for her ungracious behavior. She may have shocked everyone, but it wasn't by winning. The only judge to give her the nod in the FS was the US judge. She had to indeed "wait her turn" until 1960.

After winning 97 worlds, Tara very much entered the Oly season as a favorite to win. The only reason why Kwan was given an edge by most was that she thouroughly trouncehd Tara at both SA and Nats, and Tara also blew Lalique.

Custom Title
    Well good for Kimberly/Kimmie - whatever! lol This is what the US girls are going to have to do to be successful against the Japanese and Kostner after 2006.

But why is Mao Asada scary? She's out there doing these things at an early age but she's not exactly consistent. I remember Frank Carroll quoted in Brennan's Inside Edge that you have to hammer the technical when they're young and just hope they can adjust through puberty to hang onto it. That's all Asada is doing. If Mai is anything to go by, she'll end up quite tall, but thin so she probably will hang onto what shes learning. She also does a quad sal - there's a rinkside clip of her nearly landing it in training.

As for Midori as someone said earlier - I don't know if she does them now, but she stepped out of one at 2001 Japan Open at the age of 31. Apparently in practise they were rock solid

But back to Kimmie. I think if she stays fairly consistent and wins World Juniors next year - which is a big possibility - then she'd be a good bet for the US third spot. Look how well Ando did on her senior international debut.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    Your overall point may stand, but you're wrong about Heiss and Lipinski.

Carol was so devastated by her silver medal in Cortina that she threw a hissy fit in front of journalists and was officially repremanded by the USFSA for her ungracious behavior. She may have shocked everyone, but it wasn't by winning. The only judge to give her the nod in the FS was the US judge. She had to indeed "wait her turn" until 1960.

After winning 97 worlds, Tara very much entered the Oly season as a favorite to win. The only reason why Kwan was given an edge by most was that she thouroughly trouncehd Tara at both SA and Nats, and Tara also blew Lalique.
    OOH I never knew about this hissy fit! Are there any links or was it in a particular book? More details please!

Custom Title
    berthes ghost: "Also, are the Junior event judges really different judges that the senior event ones? Will Junior world medalist really be strangers to senior international judges?"

I think it's a question as to who these skaters have successfully competed against. It's a lot easier to win an event against Junior skaters than against Seniors. Having said that, Miki Ando DID get respect from the judges, but then again she was the Japanese National Champion, having defeated the prior Worlds bronze medalwinner and the current GPF bronze medalist.

I agree, if the USFSA can send Kwan and Cohen, they'd have no problem sending a relative unknown on the senior international scene. I'd question whether they'd send both Taylor and Meissner instead of a Kwan or Cohen, though.

Custom Title
    Well Cohen is going, barring serious, incapacitating injury. This isn't gymnastics so MK will probably go even if she doesn't make the podium in 2005 Worlds (which I think is a serious possibility). All this talk about Meissner and Katy but with girls that young and small, it probably pays to wait a while before making predictions. If they can keep their level up and post great results at Junior Worlds, I predict that the higher finisher at Junior Worlds will be given that 3rd place on the team.

Custom Title

Young skaters, "childish" names

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    All this talk about Meissner and Katy but with girls that young and small, it probably pays to wait a while before making predictions. If they can keep their level up and post great results at Junior Worlds, I predict that the higher finisher at Junior Worlds will be given that 3rd place on the team.
    The U.S. has usually used placement at Nationals as the Olympic qualifier -- if that's what comp was being referred to above (there was reference to 2005 Worlds, so I assumed the discussion is beyond that). As I said elsewhere, it will remain to be seen what kind (if any) growth spurt Kimmie or Katy undergo and what affects (if any) that will have on their skating abilities. For now, they are skating well and should make a very good impression this season if they continue to do so.

RE: "childish" names. Anyone remember the 39th POTUS? Or that former icon of late-night TV? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer's Johnny! :D

Custom Title
    To clarify: the higher finisher at Jr Worlds will get that third place at Nationals. They tend to hold up who they want to go to the Olympics and Worlds regardless of actual performance.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    I think the scariest thing about the Asadas are Mao's horrible underrotated triples and Mai's laughable technique on her double toes, they are more like toe-axels and hesitates so much between her triple flutz and her double toe.
    Before people talk about how successful these two are going to be as seniors, I would hope they fix their outrageously bad jumping technique first.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    Yes, LAURIE, you are.

Dee
    People who call me "Laurie" usually get injured. :D

"Katy" and "Johnny" don't annoy me so much. "Kimmie" is just overly precious, and I'm glad she's switched to "Kimberly." It's a much more mature name, worthy of someone who damn near lands a triple axel in competition.

Laura

PS: Dee, I'm going to tell Nathan what you said in your CSI post.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterB
    I like to see real women skate too. But I think is very unfair to discriminate someone because of their age, sex, skin color, sexual orientation, and so on and so on. There should be a constitutional amendment or something. Where are activist when you need them, any lawyer will do.
    Hmmm, Is it a discrimination to bar people under 16 from driving? people under 18 from smoking? people under 21 from drinking? There is no difference (though I do consider 21 y.o. drinking age rather ridiculous)

As to the names -- Sasha is a nickname too (from Alexandra). And the press keeps referring to Dr. Condoleeza Rice as "Condy" -- do they think she is childish?

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    Flo: Carol Heiss certainly didn't lack attitude. I bought a copy of SI from the fifities that had her on the cover, and in the article, (before 55 worlds) she commented how only she and Tenley (Albright) had the double axel, but the "other skater" didn't land it on the correct edge!!! (MEOW!!!) She went on to airily declare that she could win Worlds because Gaby (Seifert) had won the year before and she had beaten Gaby in a competition, adding that she'd win the upcoming Olympics and then she'd eventually turn the spotlight over to her younger sister. Carol today is considered a total sweetheart, but she was a walking ego in her eligible days. That story about her pitching a fit at the O's is indeed true. She really embarassed herself and the team. She's lucky she didn't lose her medal for that unsportsmanlike display, but in her mind, she was always the best. While Tenley did win the 56 O's, Carol surprised everyone by winning Worlds that year and every year after up through her OGM in 1960. She at least COULD put the money where her mouth was and wasn't all hype!!!!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast