SPteris or Jackson? | Golden Skate

SPteris or Jackson?

ice cold

Rinkside
SP teris or Jackson?

I am getting new skates. My coach wants me in SP teri deluxe or high end jacksons. I want Grafs but i hear they break down really quickly. i want wilson 99 blades ( w/ k pick) but the rocker is pretty straight. My coach wants me in MK professinals. And What about Risports?
I am so close to my lutz, just cheating the landing a little. Started working on my axel and im getting ready to work on double salcow. I have cheap club 2000 now.i love the big toepick . (what i eally want is winston 99 w/ k toe pick, if they made it w/ a 7 ft radius instead of 8)
But the boot is where i have my problem. I could get the really high end jacksons or SP teris super deluxe. Im thinking about grafs but i heard they dont last to long. ( So i was thinking beacuse theyre arnt to stiff i could go one level up, i think to edmonton or galaxy, and it would last longer. IS THIS A GOOD IEAD? ) I Dont want SP teris, they are just TOO stiff. But i need arch suport and i have wide feet and the bigest instep. So i think grafs or Risports.
I have Jacksons now and i love them, they are not too stiff, but ive had them for 4 years and they are broken in yet. I dont know if i should get the next level up. any help?
( my total budget is under $800- american) and my local skate shop sells ridell, spteri and jackson. maybe gam. but they can fit and order any other brand.

Last edited:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I have custom SP Teri's, and they do not have arch support, so don't fool yourself there. I think that Teri makes a good skate for some, but not me. I am doing slow lutzes nailing my loop, flip, and working on my axel. I am not sure what age you are, but you don't want to mess around with boots when it gets to the axel and doubles. You need to have a quality, comfortable boot under you, that gives you the support you need. You are talking about higher difficulty and impact impact to your body with the axel and doubles. Take care of yourself. I have my new skate choice (mind you my Teri's are not broken down yet, but hurt so bad, that I am getting new boots) narrowed down to Klingbeil and GRAF. I think that I will go with Klingbeil, but have a tad bit of research yet to do. I have struggles with the Teri's since I got them 3 years ago, and even got off the ice for a year because I was struggling with the break in of my skates.

That just my experience with SPTeri, and some food for thought. I am sure that there are others out there that have Teri's and love them. I do not.

isk8nbessy

Rinkside
Have you tried klingbiels? I have costum, although they are pretty expensive. I don't suggest risports. Some are nice,but you have to be careful. You seem to be getting into the higher jumps and risports are usually for the lower levels. Not all cases, but some. I suggest Klingbiels, stock or custom. Stock will be alot less expensive. But if you're willing to pay, get the customs. With klingbiels, you can always send them in to get rebuilt or whatever you need them to do, instead of buying another pair of skates. IF your feet are still growing, then I wouldn't worry about customs. But Check into klingbiel, They could give you more info than I can. Good luck!

ice cold

Rinkside
i asked my coach. She suggested high end harlicks. but my feet are so narrow. She said SPteris are great too. But i really dont want my skates to be so stiff. I was so happy about grafs, but she didnt seem to happy. of corse she didnt say "no. i wont let you get those" but she did ask why i wanted them. I think im leaning towards jacksons or klingbeils. ive only skated on jacksons. so dont know. pretty sure im going with professional blades though.

Last edited:

isk8nbessy

Rinkside
Hmm I use Vantage. Without the K pick. They work well for me. I think I got them when I was just getting all my double consistent, and I've had them for two years. So If doubles are what you are getting into, you may want to check that out. Let us know what you decide!

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Go with the GRAFS!!!!

Last season, I found a great deal on a pair of used GRAF Richmond specials with an MK professional blade. My daughter skated on those the entire season, with absolutely NO problems. At the beginning of the season, she was working on a loop and a flip, and under normal circumstances the GRAF would have beeen FAR too stiff for her level, but because they were used, they were perfect. She is now landing her lutz, axel, and dbl sal, and is working on dbl toe and dbl loop. We are currently in the market for new skates, and new Richmonds are far too stiff. She can't even get a crease out of them. We will be most likely going with a GAM 50, or a Reidell 375, and again, with the MK professional blade.

You don't say how old you are, but I have a strong suspicion that both of the skates you have mentioned would be too strong for your present abilities.

As for the GRAF breaking down quickly, that is very untrue. GRAF is a quality product, and many elite skaters skate in an Edmonton Special.

If it's good enough for Elvis and all those quads he was doing, I am certain that you will have no problems with break down on them.

Check out the different skate websites. They have excellent graphs that indicate what skate and blade is appropriate for what level you are at.

Canuck

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm skating in Graf's and I like them very much! I'm a adult skater and doing only singles but I like them a whole lot better then my SP-Teri's.

Steve L

Rinkside
Hi!

O.K. here`s the thing......Patt 99 with K picks is overkill.....Your next jump is axel...hence an edge jump....after that Dbl Salchow....hence an edge jump.....after that Double cherry/Toe loop...whoopy....no big deal...after that Dbl Loop...

Do you see where I am going with this....Patt 99 k picks......I don`t think so. IMO

Rockers are measured in feet not inches.....so if you want a 7 foot rocker...like...patt 99 ...easy....it`s called a VISION from MK....same thing...check it out you`ll see.

Now good for you on noticing about needing arch supports...most skaters do whether they believe so or not...

High instep......Risport....possibly GRAF......Jackson`s new models are made shallow to mold to the foot better....so not too sure about them....GAM is the same design...very open and shallow...

People it`s not because YOU have Klingbeils that everyone should have whatever you have......thought I`d throw that in :\

Personally blade wise....I`d go with a Stealth from ISE or Protege from Ultima.....that would be a caddy for you....200.00$ Canadian...so I dunno what it works out to in US but well worth it...

By the way...if your Jackson`s aren`t broke in yet why would you go with a "high end Jackon" as the price goes up so does the stiffness....

If you want to go with Jackson`s......I`d look at Comps if they fit your foot.....and I`d remove the red insole inside to give you more room for the instep.....and replace it with a thin 3 arch support insole.....maybe from Birko or Pedag...

Anyways just my 2 cents!

Last edited:

Summerkid

Rinkside
SP-Teri is not producing the Sp-Teri Super Teri Deluxe any longer. Good luck finding them. Although I did hear a rumor that they may bring it back--just a rumor though. You'd have to go up to the KT-2. Just a FYI.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I always liked Wifa skates. I now have a pair of Risport skates, but sure miss my Wifas.

Perry

Rinkside
I think it actually depends on your foot, and what you're looking for in a boot. I had Reidell's until I was 10 or so (and until they decided to redo their boot with cheap materials), but after two pairs that didn't fit or break in properly, I switched to custom Klingbeil's. You probably don't need custom boots yet, unless you have feet that are particularly difficult to fit, but the first day I got my Kingbeil's (my first pair at that point, so I wasn't at all used to them), I was practicing as if it was a normal day, which at that point, meant all my doubles, combinations, and intermediate program. They last virtually forever, though, of course, if you don't care for them properly, they don't last as long. They're easily adjustable (for example, since my foot has no arch, the person how does my skates took out the sole of the skate and put a custon one in for arch support, something she was unable to do with my Reidell's). They have a great insurance policy too (one of my friend's actually had a mjor growthspurt, and outgrew her boots in the four weeks between her fitting and shipping, and they gave her all her money back).

On blades, I actually have a Goldseal, which I've been using since I was 8 or so. High-end blades, though they're expensive, actually usually last through two pairs of boots, so about two years if you're still growing, or even up to five or six, depending on how much you're using them. It might be too early to think about those quite yet, though I think I got them when I was only about half-way through my doubles. Either way you go, look at how your foot is built (for example, don't get Harlick's unless you have a high arch or want to build one), and talk to you coach, skate person, and any friends about their boot and blade experiences.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Go to Cyclone-Taylor website. They have info that you fill out and based on your personal info, they match you with the correct skate. I have known many to use them, non to complain.

SparkleSk8er

Rinkside
I don't think that there is really a "best" skate. I think the best skate is the skate that fits your foot. And since everyone has a different shaped foot, no skate is good for everybody.

I am flat footed. I had Harlick Finalist skates and had trouble with them. I couldn't even get a crease. They were so heavy and so hard, I couldn't wear them. Because of them, I developed a navicular enlargement on both of my feet.

Right now I am in Graf Richmond Special. Some peoplesay they are too soft, but they are perfect for me. I guess I don't skate that hard. I'm am 5'6 and 115 lbs and I have all of my doubles not including a cheated double axel. They are really comfy to me. They have a wide toe-box and come punched out already. They last a really long time too. I have had them for a year and they still have a lot of wear left in them, but they are too small, so I'm going with Klingbeil customs since my feet are way hard to fit.

I think you should just try on skates and see how you like them. Your coach can't tell you what feels good to your feet and she doesn't have to wear them. My advice to you; pick what is within your budget, fits and is comfortable to you. Good luck!

SparkleSk8er

ice cold

Rinkside
I bought my new skates

i ordered my new skates. they havent come yet. i got jackson elite. and im going to get custom inserts for arch support. i am only getting the elites because they were the easiest to get in a D with, without going into custom. When they come, after i get them heat molded, i will order professional blades. i wanted something better then professional, but my coach said that professionals will be really good for my spins. too bad i didnt get my grafs. but thats ok, my skates will be good too. .. and my coach said i couldnt get klingbeils (stock). she said that its a great boot, but she doesnt like the shape. She says the toe is too padded, so when i point my toe, like in a spiral, it wont be as pretty as it could be. i dont agree, but its not worth arguing anyway. i still havent ordered my blades, so any suggestions? i mean if i dont get professionals...

Last edited: