Ted Barton and the JGP webcasts | Golden Skate

Ted Barton and the JGP webcasts

Interspectator

Record Breaker
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...-instruction-key-japans-success/#.V-Zr8vB95hE
This article was published in the Japan Times and focuses on Japanese Skaters but the second half had this gem:
Skating enthusiasts can thank Barton that they have the chance to watch the JGP on YouTube, which is now in its third season.

Why?

Because the entire concept was his idea.

The telecasts of the JGP actually evolved from Barton’s altruistic desire to give skaters living outside of metropolitan areas in Canada the opportunity to watch and learn from their peers.
In the article Ted explains how he came to pitch the idea to the ISU.
Thank you Ted Barton!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
As soon as my eyes set on the title with Ted and JGP, I thought I'm going to give the OP thumbs-up :biggrin: because the content would be highly likely to praise his awesome commentaries for the JGP broadcast on YouTube. And after reading the OP, I'm very touched and am more appreciative to all his efforts for figure skating and youngsters.

Thank you, Ted Barton.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker

Lysambre

Final Flight
Ted Barton is just the best commentator for the JGP.

He's always so positive and even if the program is a disaster, he finds something nice to say about the skater.

:clapper::cheer:

olayolay

On the Ice
Ted Barton is just the best commentator for the JGP.

He's always so positive and even if the program is a disaster, he finds something nice to say about the skater.

:clapper::cheer:

Yeah, I agree. He was so positive and supportive when some Indian skaters competed who weren't quite at the level of everyone else, and low-key scolded all the people mocking them in the live chat section.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
To be honest, I enjoy the JGP more than a lot of senior competitions...this week was particularly exciting. I'm very grateful to Ted for his brilliant idea & excellent commentary. I only wish he could use his influence to get the ISU to put the Challenger series on Youtube too.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
To be honest, I enjoy the JGP more than a lot of senior competitions...this week was particularly exciting. I'm very grateful to Ted for his brilliant idea & excellent commentary. I only wish he could use his influence to get the ISU to put the Challenger series on Youtube too.

I don't know the logistics of it but I believe the Challenger series belong to "television" as well. I know that the rights can be bought since Japan usually buys the rights to competitions like Finlandia and Autumn Classic when skaters like Hanyu are in it. If they start streaming live for free, no television company would bother televising it and they run the risk of losing money from purchasing rights and its probably not something they'd like.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't know the logistics of it but I believe the Challenger series belong to "television" as well. I know that the rights can be bought since Japan usually buys the rights to competitions like Finlandia and Autumn Classic when skaters like Hanyu are in it. If they start streaming live for free, no television company would bother televising it and they run the risk of losing money from purchasing rights and its probably not something they'd like.

Yeah, I know it's probably impossible, but I wish there was some kind of basic standard that they all had to meet re: streaming. Right now some charge money to watch (with no guarantee the video will be of watchable quality), and some don't even offer a stream at all.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Yeah, I know it's probably impossible, but I wish there was some kind of basic standard that they all had to meet re: streaming. Right now some charge money to watch (with no guarantee the video will be of watchable quality), and some don't even offer a stream at all.

May I ask who is charging money?

Just out of curiosity.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
May I ask who is charging money?

Just out of curiosity.

I would venture to guess silverfoxes is referring to IceNetwork.

In addition to IceNetwork charging for the US Classic:

Finlandia charged for streaming one year -- I think it was 2014.

And I think I vaguely recall that one or two other Challengers have charged for streaming?? Although I don't remember which ones specifically.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Some synchronized skating events also charge money.