Ladies skating 2018 and beyond | Golden Skate

Ladies skating 2018 and beyond

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
No one knows the future for sure but one can still argue about cause and effect and, hence, attach some likelihood to predictions.

I watch junior grand prix for the last 3 years. And this year what started to shape in 2014 became cristal clear: it is about Russia and Japan now. Or Japan and Russia. Both countries have line-ups of contenders. I would argue that Russian field is deeper. Last year JGPF finalist Alisa Fedichkina and Sofia Samodurova who scored above 180 have not received the second assignment. Daria Panenkova who just showed locally clean 0+7 rippon only FP has not received a single assignment....

But realistically there is no USA, Canada, Korea, and China among the juniors who would get in Top-10 if there were no number limitations. So far I see the only exception: Eunsoo Lim of Korea who did not podium this time but who has the "it" factor. I was impressed actually same as I was impressed last year when saw Marin Honda for the first time.

So, how the top field is going to look like outside Russia and Japan after the Olympics?

USA: Ashley and Miraj will be likely gone. Polina? This year it will be more or less clear. If she does not break through I can hardly believe that she will become podium level skater. So, it will be just about Gracie.

Canada: the drill is known: "Canadian ladies". Of course, they are all individuals: Osmond, Chartrand, Daleman, their styles are different. But one thing is common: they are all inconsistent and all score around the same - not enough to get into top 5. And at the same time they are way above the rest in Canada with no promising juniors.

Korea: So Yun Park's moment was in Saitama. But she was not known. Since then, well, she is a lovely skater but she is not competitive with the top ladies. Between her and Eunsoo Lim there is a range of "good average skaters".

So a possible scenario after 2018 will be what we have now among the juniors: how many Japanese and Russians will get to GPF: 3+3 or 4+2 and who among them will get the podiums? Of course, as long as Gracie is around she will be a factor but how long will she be motivated?

And what will happen to the sport, to its popularity if it really becomes the standoff between Russia and Japan?

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
Some russian talents will compete for other countries and i bet that the rules will change, so that the 15 yo sloppy girls, fresh out of the juniors, won't have a chance to win competitions anymore :confused2:

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Some russian talents will compete for other countries

They already do. Like today: Alisa Stomakhina Austria, Lyubov Efimenko Finland, Anna Litvinenko UK, Polina Ustinkova Switzerland. But they are not top skaters.

i bet that the rules will change, so that the 15 yo sloppy girls, fresh out of the juniors, won't have a chance to win competitions anymore

It won't change anything. The first wave still in action: Liza, Yulia, Anna, Lena are 18-19 already. The second wave: Zhenya, Maria, Sima are 16-17. Then goes tsunami. It's too late. If one sets the limit 18 years after 2018, nothing will change: those girls who are in this "tsunami" this season will be already 16-17 then. And I hope that the girls from the first 2 waves who will be 18-21 will be able to find 3 podium contenders among them. The same holds for the Japanese.

Biellmann

Match Penalty
They already do. Like today: Alisa Stomakhina Austria, Lyubov Efimenko Finland, Anna Litvinenko UK, Polina Ustinkova Switzerland. But they are not top skaters.

It won't change anything. The first wave still in action: Liza, Yulia, Anna, Lena are 18-19 already. The second wave: Zhenya, Maria, Sima are 16-17. Then goes tsunami. It's too late. If one sets the limit 18 years after 2018, nothing will change: those girls who are in this "tsunami" this season will be already 16-17 then. And I hope that the girls from the first 2 waves who will be 18-21 will be able to find 3 podium contenders among them. The same holds for the Japanese.

We don't know what will happen after 2018, let's say in 2030 :dev3:

andromache

Record Breaker
In a few more years there will be more young Koreans like Eunsoo. The little girls (3-4 year olds) who watched Yuna at her peak aren't juniors yet. Long-term, it could turn into Russia v. Japan v. Korea, with an occasional US/Canadian/European lady thrown in. In addition, depending on funding, the Russian/Japanese dominance could lessen in time. Still, those feds are lucky in that the more success their ladies have, the more little girls are going to do it, and thus there's a better chance of producing more world-class athletes. At least in the US, the dearth of champions is in part due to lack of popularity. Less kids doing the sport = less chance of producing a champion. There's also no state funding as there is in Russia and Japan. Which raises an interesting question: then why are dance and men's still so successful (men on the junior level, anyway) in the US? I don't know. Anyway.

Loooooooong-term, the bubbles of success and popularity in Japan and Russia will burst. More successful skaters will turn into more coaches and great skating professionals, until there is too many, and lots of them could decide to relocate and end up coaching non-Russian, non-Japanese skaters. Look what Zueva has done for US ice dance.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
No one knows the future - that's how I started. But there will be hardly top senior skaters in 2018-19 who are neither in current GP nor JGP. It's kind of different from 2030 - top senior ladies of 2030 may be just learn how to walk now.

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
I believe Gracie has already talked about retiring after 2018 in several interviews. For the USA, I think there will be a few years with no contenders, but I think the current novice skaters have a lot of potential.

Also, You Young of South Korea--is she eligible for JGP next year? I really hope so. All bets are off if so.

Besides the Russia-Japan thing, there is also the trend (maybe it was always this way) toward dominance by younger and younger children. I hope that some of these brilliant 14 year olds will still be skating into their twenties and that we don't see a repetitive cycle of one-and-done wonders.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I believe Gracie has already talked about retiring after 2018 in several interviews. For the USA, I think there will be a few years with no contenders, but I think the current novice skaters have a lot of potential.

Also, You Young of South Korea--is she eligible for JGP next year? I really hope so. All bets are off if so.

I have to disagree with comment. Remember that Polina is still a teenager. Emily Chan and Vivian Le are both doing well technically and IMO, Emily is one of the best performers of all the current Juniors. The Russians will always be tough no matter which year you select.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Besides the Russia-Japan thing, there is also the trend (maybe it was always this way) toward dominance by younger and younger children. I hope that some of these brilliant 14 year olds will still be skating into their twenties and that we don't see a repetitive cycle of one-and-done wonders.

Well, it's a risky turf but not questioning outstanding qualities of Yuna Kim I am sure it will be not possible now that a top skater does not have regular elements like loop and bielman. I know that she could not do them because of the back problems but she still could win podium in all her competitions. Now I think no matter how talented a young skater is she will be out of the top game if health issues start to play the role. Long skating careers on the top will be possible only for the talented skaters who will manage to stay healthy. And we shall see if we are going to have such skaters. My first bet is Zhenya, of course. But it is so far just a wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I have to disagree with comment. Remember that Polina is still a teenager. Emily Chan and Vivian Le are both doing well technically and IMO, Emily is one of the best performers of all the current Juniors. The Russians will always be tough no matter which year you select.[/QUOTE]

Not necessary :noshake:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have a question for someone who might know. How are the ladies from China doing this season? I remember seeing an interview with Lulu and she was saying that there were several young skaters on the "horizon" and that was a couple of years ago.

andromache

Record Breaker

Only an every-four-years gymnastics watcher, but wasn't that generally happening in gymnastics until recently? Like, the US gymnasts all being relatively old, at least for gymnasts?

Anyway, everyone thought that getting rid of figures would be the death of the sport because it would get dominated by children, and yeah, we had Tara Lipinski who everyone thought was a sign of things to come. And then years of Michelle/Irina dominance. Sure, Michelle had been a star since she was a kid, but Irina had been on the senior scene awhile before she started winning.

Youth will win sometimes, but when it comes down to it, we remember the long-term veterans who have won multiple medals over many years.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I have a question for someone who might know. How are the ladies from China doing this season? I remember seeing an interview with Lulu and she was saying that there were several young skaters on the "horizon" and that was a couple of years ago.

no Chinese promising lady skaters on the horizon at all. even though 2020 is in China. Zijun is the only bet.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
China had a Lu Chen, but that is ages before, at the time, China does not have the economy to train their kids. Every sports is state sponsored. And figure skating is a niche sport in China, which means the selection pool is really limited. Basically, nobody is doing this sports, except the selected few.
Nowadays, China can afford kids to train figure skating. but the state sponsored system is very corrupted. as shown in incidences in Pair skatings. Some fans joked that, maybe it is a good thing for China's lady skating, since now, no parents would want to send their girl to learn pairs anymore.
Since, the system is not the most healthiest, and there is NO Chinese Yuna Kim yet. Chinese's lady skating is still very gloomy.
But it seems, P/T are trying their best to modernize figure skating in China in terms of popularity and training system etc.

we see ,big companies started to sponsor skaters now, and international collaboration is on the rise. and more organized promotion of figure skating both officially and fan based.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Only an every-four-years gymnastics watcher, but wasn't that generally happening in gymnastics until recently? Like, the US gymnasts all being relatively old, at least for gymnasts?

Anyway, everyone thought that getting rid of figures would be the death of the sport because it would get dominated by children, and yeah, we had Tara Lipinski who everyone thought was a sign of things to come. And then years of Michelle/Irina dominance. Sure, Michelle had been a star since she was a kid, but Irina had been on the senior scene awhile before she started winning.

Youth will win sometimes, but when it comes down to it, we remember the long-term veterans who have won multiple medals over many years.
I dont mind Youth to win, as long as she has the presentation of Marin and jumps of Rika.:biggrin: