Discussion on Versatility | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Discussion on Versatility

Lys

Match Penalty
Breaking News! Here you are the real new sp! Or fp. I don't know, they are all the same, anyway, in Yuzu's case! Let's go Crazy! https://sendvid.com/cs38zl48

And with this I'm out :p

Just for sake of being on topic, I think many "golden matches" are just about choreographer ability to put the skater at center of their work, to know him/her and to build their choreo around him/her.

I think Buttle, Bourne, Dickson are all very good at this.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Here you are :)

Chopin skated on PW music. I feel the need to point out this video is from GPF15 in Barcelona. I would totally understand if someone watching this could get confused and think it's the original PW program, really.

https://sendvid.com/ae3jvbne

I really didn't see this coming when i opened the thread...lol

mrrice

Record Breaker
Breaking News! Here you are the real new sp! Or fp. I don't know, they are all the same, anyway, in Yuzu's case! Let's go Crazy! https://sendvid.com/cs38zl48

Just for sake of being on topic, I think many "golden matches" are just about choreographer ability to put the skater at center of their work, to know him/her and to build their choreo around him/her.

Ridiculous!!!! If his LP is anywhere near this good, I can't see anyone beating him. It's not just the jumps. It's the way he executes them. His GOE numbers must be HUUUGE....:points:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yuzuru should be given a prize for inventing a style of choreography that seems to 'match' any kind of music! :biggrin:
Lol I know right... poor the team. Enough with sarcasm.

I don't say they always have great choices of music and choreography for Yuzuru. NDP and Romeo and Juliet 2.0 are bad choices in my opinion however I can't say they're same style at all with POTO, Seimei. Whether some people like it or not, he still dare to challenge new styles for him every season. It is a fact to me and to most of his fans I believe.

Last edited:

Fayruza

Match Penalty

Boo, he deserves a deduction for time violation there! :laugh2:

Lambari

Final Flight
Stay tuned for the finale, Parisian Walkaways V Rach piano concerto No2 coming soon. I'm sorry Rachmaninoff and Gary Moore for I have sinned. :popcorn:

the thread is going so offtopic I'm :rofl2:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Lol I know right... poor the team. Enough with sarcasm.

I don't say they always have great choices of music and choreography for Yuzuru. NDP and Romeo and Juliet 2.0 are bad choices in my opinion however I can't say they're same style at all with POTO, Seimei. Whether some people like it or not, he still dare to challenge new styles for him every season. It is a fact to me and to most of his fans I believe.

Ok, NDP and R&J2 did have a lot in common and were underwhelming (which made fans believe David Wilson wasn't a good match for Yuzuru), but all the other programs starting with 2011-2012 really do stand out. I even liked his POTO - that during a season when everyone was skating to POTO.

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Stay tuned for the finale, Parisian Walkaways V Rach piano concerto No2 coming soon. I'm sorry Rachmaninoff and Gary Moore for I have sinned. :popcorn:

the thread is going so offtopic I'm :rofl2:
Yeah, and we're getting them both in the same program finally. That's going to be a perfect package for Hanyu.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, NDP and R&J2 did have a lot in common and were underwhelming (which made fans believe David Wilson wasn't a good match for Yuzuru), but all the other programs starting with 2011-2012 really do stand out. I even liked his POTO - that during a season when everyone was skating to POTO.

Forgive me, what is NDP?

Lambari

Final Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RmW12Xa2q4 :scard7:

What is better than an obligatory Rach No 2 step sequence in terrible video quality? Nothing!

These choreographers these days can't do their job. What are these music cuts?! Rachmaninoff would be turning in his grave! :curse:

Edit: Changed the link to a better one.

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but I think that both NDP and R&J2 weren't exactly his choices...in 2013 he badly wanted to skate to POTO but Wilson advised him against it and instead picked NDP. Not DW wisest choice, I must say, maybe Yuzu didn't have enough stamina to cope with it back then. And in 2014 Wilson suggested Romeo and Juliet because Yuzu was close to the mood of the program, given his R&J1. In 2015 he "ditched" Wilson, went to Bourne and finally got his POTO program that he so much wanted!
Again, to keep this IT, thanks Shae for creating masterpieces for Yuzu and Ashley and many other skaters!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is sad. I came here expecting to find more Golden Choreographer and Skater greats, and I find a bunch of people being mean. All because one poster, Eppen, did not agree that Javier is a one*trick pony. I agree with Eppen. Javier is far more versatile than his detractors say. I don't care what you Javi detractors believe. But why do you want to spoil things for others?

:hijacked: big time.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
On the topic of skaters who can adapt to many styles, I think Daiskue Takahashi and Misha Ge, with their innate dance abilities were able to successfully perform many styles.
Yuzu and Javi in my opinion, have their own styles that they can adapt or expand for a wide range of music.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is sad. I came here expecting to find more Golden Choreographer and Skater greats, and I find a bunch of people being mean. All because one poster, Eppen, did not agree that Javier is a one*trick pony. I agree with Eppen. Javier is far more versatile than his detractors say. I don't care what you Javi detractors believe. But why do you want to spoil things for others?

Completely and totally agreed.

If I had to choose *one* of the "top" skaters to watch, I'd choose Javi. But it is not worth my time to argue with the worshippers of others.

emmiele

Rinkside

It's not because Eppen did not agree that Javier is a one trick pony. It is because Eppen claimed that Yuzuru's PW could be set to Rachamaninoff and it would have made no difference, which is frankly insulting to Yuzuru and Jeff Buttle.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

Well, this post explains everything. Frankly, Javier has been the least versatile by far between Yuzu and Patrick. Let's be really raw here. It's like Cappellini and Lanotte. Same thing every time, pretty much. This examples used for this thread seriously have to be a joke. Scriabin to Parisienne Walkways to Chopin to Prince, Romeo and Juliet to Phantom to Seimei to this minimalist post-modernist-type genre? Give me a break...

Last edited: