Scimeca and Knierim withdraw from GP events | Golden Skate

Scimeca and Knierim withdraw from GP events

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Alexa Scimeca Knierim Medical Update

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Sept. 28, 2016) – Alexa Scimeca Knierim and Chris Knierim, the 2015 U.S. pairs champions, announced today they have withdrawn from 2016 Rostelecom Cup and 2016 Cup of China as Scimeca Knierim recovers from a medical procedure.

“The 2016 calendar year has been defined by equal parts festivity and frustration,” Scimeca Knierim said. “As many of you know, Chris and I were married in June, on what was unquestionably the happiest day of our lives. However, in the weeks leading up to our big day I was privately battling a series of internal ailments that left doctors baffled and my body in overwhelming pain.”

Scimeca Knierim’s symptoms persisted throughout the summer, resulting in sleepless nights, weight loss and time off the ice and away from training.

After months of tests and observation, her team of doctors determined the source of Scimeca Knierim’s discomfort and she recently underwent a medical procedure to alleviate the problem and has been given a clean bill of health. The team has resumed light training and hopes to be back on the ice later this year.

“Fortunately, I have a tremendous partner, both on and off the ice, along with a wonderful coach and a great team surrounding me,” Scimeca Knierim said. “After months of uncertainty and concern, it is unbelievably liberating to announce that I have a clean bill of health, along with a renewed sense of faith, focus and fortitude. This experience has been as humbling as it is inspiring, and Chris and I are now hungrier than we've ever been.

“I remain empowered by your continuous thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement. I want to thank my husband, our families and our physicians, along with our coach Dalilah Sappenfield, U.S. Figure Skating, our agency, our friends and most of all, you the fans.”

Additional updates will be provided as necessary.

Here is wishing her a speedy recovery!

humbaba

Final Flight
So sorry to hear this. I'll miss watching Alexa and Chris skate this Fall.

Very glad that Alexa's medical problems have been resolved. Best wishes to them both. :ghug:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
:sad21:

Speedy recovery to Alexa! It's so scary to read, and it proves again that pairs is probably the most demanding and even dangerous FS discipline, especially right now when everyone's chasing ultra C elements. Not sure if her medical problems were caused by it, of course, but it certainly didn't help either :(

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Glad that Alexa's condition has been alleviated and that she has been given a clean bill of health. :)

Wishing Chris and her the best both now and whenever they eventually are able to compete again.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I know I've said this before but, it really does sound like Alexa had/has Mononucleosis. I've seen dancers and athletes have their seasons ended by this virus because it takes forever to get over. They often become depressed because they are always tired. The other thing that becomes depressing is that longer you're out, the more it feels like life is leaving you behind.

I remember one of our dancers was forced to leave the tour because she couldn't make it through the show. It was very hard on all of us. I remember her saying that she felt like she'd never dance again. Take it one day at a time and let Chris take care of you. The harder you push, the longer your recovery will take. There's a very good chance they won't compete at all this season. Do they have a "Bye" into Nationals as the Defending Silver Medalists?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
IMO: Engaging in speculative armchair diagnosis seems highly disrespectful to Alexa and is just completely unnecessary.

As is her prerogative, Alexa obviously has chosen not to identify exactly what she had. So we do not know. And I doubt that we ever will know.
Wish everyone could just leave it at that.

Last edited:

Lysambre

Final Flight
I know I've said this before but, it really does sound like Alexa had/has Mononucleosis. I've seen dancers and athletes have their seasons ended by this virus because it takes forever to get over. They often become depressed because they are always tired. The other thing that becomes depressing is that longer you're out, the more it feels like life is leaving you behind.

I remember one of our dancers was forced to leave the tour because she couldn't make it through the show. It was very hard on all of us. I remember her saying that she felt like she'd never dance again. Take it one day at a time and let Chris take care of you. The harder you push, the longer your recovery will take. There's a very good chance they won't compete at all this season. Do they have a "Bye" into Nationals as the Defending Silver Medalists?

I'm no doctor, but as far as I'm aware, Mononucleosis doesn't cause these symptoms : "I was privately battling a series of internal ailments that left doctors baffled and my body in overwhelming pain".

Tiredness is an extremely vague symptom of at least half the existing diseases on this planet. You have to associate it with other symptoms before you can start making an actual diagnosis.

Wishing Alexa the very best recovery possible :cheer:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm no doctor, but as far as I'm aware, Mononucleosis doesn't cause these symptoms : "I was privately battling a series of internal ailments that left doctors baffled and my body in overwhelming pain".

Tiredness is an extremely vague symptom of at least half the existing diseases on this planet. You have to associate it with other symptoms before you can start making an actual diagnosis.

Wishing Alexa the very best recovery possible :cheer:

True.....She may have something like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia. You're right and it's probably best not to speculate. Anyway, Rest Alexa, and lean on your Husband when you need him.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think mono would not be such a mystery for doctors.

I also think that when you make the choice to drop cryptic hints, you should frankly expect speculation. In fact, frankly I think a lot of people drop cryptic hints because they want the speculation - yes some people do stuff like that. I tend to feel like if hints are dropped, there is an implication that guessing is ok. Don't want speculation, don't drop cryptic hints.

Really she almost certainly could have asked a lot of doctors/nurses she has been in contact with "what is a really vague answer to what is wrong with me that gives no real information but is technically correct?" and gotten a great answer. I suspect the medical people she has been in contact with could have given suggestions that would have not revealed any info, but would result in us talking about learning a new medical term rather than wondering what is going on. Steps could have been taken to minimize speculation while still preserving her privacy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Today Alexa posted a msg on their website. She is a fighter. #BeastMode

Hat tip to Sylvia for the link on FSU.

.... I also think that when you make the choice to drop cryptic hints, you should frankly expect speculation. ...

Yikes, I for one do not think Alexa is trying to use her illness for publicity.
And I strongly disagree that she made a "choice to drop cryptic hints."

To me, the few minimal details in the press release served the purpose of conveying that something severe and disruptive enough was going on to require them to withdraw from their GPs (and to not compete earlier in the season).
I don't consider them to be "cryptic hints" at anything.

Given that doctors who had the benefit of examining Alexa, of knowing her test results, of getting a thorough medical history from her, etc., needed months to diagnose her, I find it very hard to believe that a few far-from-unique symptoms mentioned in a press release would enable a non-MD (and most of us on GS are not MDs, I would venture to guess) to come up with an accurate diagnosis.

Not to mention that I find it very hard to believe that Alexa would want anyone to try.

Nathan13

Medalist
Agreed. :palmf: Maybe she's simply staying vague for reasons like, I don't know, privacy? Like she doesn't want her medical condition splashed all over the internet so people can speculate even more about her health than they are now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
she underwent a medical procedure to alleviate the problem...

So, it's clear it's something she doesn't want to reveal for whatever reason, and it's clear is not mono or fibromyalgia.... those conditions don't get solved with medical procedures.

I think an athlete has the right to keep such personal interventions for themselves, but if you are going to speculate, at least read the article thoroughly ;) (just teasing you mrrice :dev2:)

sarama

Medalist
Whatever it was, I'm just happy it's over now... to be honest the fact that she was obviously (from tweets) having health issues, but nothing official was ever said about it, made me super worried.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sad that another Pairs couple had to withdraw due to health issues :( Wish Alexa all the best! I'm sure she and Chris will work hard for Nationals:)

LadyB

Record Breaker
Everyone is right in their own way. It is perfectly understandable that Alexa doesn't want to discuss very personal matters with the world. She had to make some sort of statement, she did exactly that. Fans are perfectly entitled to speculate. It would almost be very weird if nobody would comment on what she might suffer from. Alexa kept it as vague as possible and that is fine. Whatever it is/was, we might never know and that's fine as well. The only thing that counts is that she is recovering from something serious, and whether they'll be able to compete or not this season, main thing is, she gets proper healthy again.
I really enjoy watching them and was very much looking forward to seeing them live at Rostelecom. Her life and wellbeing is paramount to skating, but I hope they'll be back at their best ever in the Olympic season, if not before.

QuadThrow

Medalist
That is sad.

V/T have a baby.
Sui is injured.
Alexa cannot start.

The world class field becomes more tiny.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I don't think fans are 'entitled' to speculate about this frankly, and I think there's something slightly morally bankrupt in the idea that they are (or indeed that fans are entitled to much of anything, but particularly in a case like this), but that's all I'm gonna say about that.

I DO feel very happy that, whatever she was struggling with, it appears to be resolved and she is back to training normally. It is a pity they must miss the GP but honestly, with that much time off the ice and a medical procedure that doesn't sound trivial, it's to be expected. I hope she will continue to be healthy and to see her at Nationals.

liv

Record Breaker
I am just glad to know that the problem was finally diagnosed and resolved. She may choose to elaborate further at a later date I.e. nationals, when the media glare descends upon them but if she does not, well, she is entitled to her privacy. While people naturally like to speculate, I just put myself in her position and wonder if I would want the world knowing something that intimate.... broken bones, muscle tears are one thing, internal issues are another.

I look forward to their return when their health and condition permits.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I have felt that "cryptic hints" describes what has been going on for awhile now. I would not categorize it as "doing it for publicity" so much as feeling like absolute crap, reaching her breaking point and reaching out to her fans from some comfort and support... which i see NOTHING wrong with. I see nothing wrong with a sick person wanting a little attention to feel better - hell i might go so far as to say it is healthy and normal. If she had posted "im in the hospital, posting pics of your cats would help" no one would bat an eye, many kitty pics would ensue, and I would still feel she was lightly reaching out to fans for some comfort - and I would see nothing wrong with it. Cryptic hints are just another way to illicit well wishes when you feel like you need them, and I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for help in whatever manner you choose. I think people are free to drop cryptic hints... i don't have to like them, you don't have to like them, but people are free to do what they want. I was not saying she was wrong to make cryptic hints... i have a much higher level of "just do what you want, I don't care" than that. I just don't think that it is disrespectful to make guesses in repose to what i see as cryptic hints.

To me, the few minimal details in the press release served the purpose of conveying that something severe and disruptive enough was going on to require them to withdraw from their GPs (and to not compete earlier in the season).
I don't consider them to be "cryptic hints" at anything.

See, I don't think she needs to justify being sick enough. "Due to my ongoing illness, we have made the regretful decision to withdraw from the GP" is sufficient - and if reducing speculation is a goal, frankly less is more. I think she could have actually said less in the press release if they really wanted to keep speculation down. We don't need to know doctors have been baffled for instance - that is more something that is said because it is interesting. If you don't want speculation... don't be interesting. Again I am not saying it was handled wrong... just that if less speculation was a goal, it could have been done better, so I just don't think they care much about what we say and guess... I think that is well under what they care about.

Given that doctors who had the benefit of examining Alexa, of knowing her test results, of getting a thorough medical history from her, etc., needed months to diagnose her, I find it very hard to believe that a few far-from-unique symptoms mentioned in a press release would enable a non-MD (and most of us on GS are not MDs, I would venture to guess) to come up with an accurate diagnosis.

Now THAT i agree with. I am not saying it is a riddle to be solved. I do think that sometimes talking about illnesses that are maybes is not so bad. Some people just are lucky enough to not have a lot of experience with illness/injury and may not really "get" how things can just happen and be ongoing and suck and how doctors can not understand, and how long it can take, and how you can feel better then worse, and how exhausting just the appointments are... and on and on and on. There are a lot of things that could apply to Alexis's symptoms. Listing things that do happen, can help things make more sense and be less scary and less mysterious.

Not to mention that I find it very hard to believe that Alexa would want anyone to try.

I doubt she cares, and she might find it entertaining. I do think that if "I want to keep speculation down" was a direct goal, there are things she could have done differently. I think she likely just accepts that some speculation and gossip is normal and just does not care. I think she is the type that might even admit she would speculate as well - because if we are being honest, it is very normal.

I am not saying i want to get out the popcorn and look for drama and try to construct theories. I just don't really find it disrespectful to suggest things that it could be. It certainly could be done in a disrespectful manner - I'll grant you that. But on its face no, I don't think it is that bad, or even anything that they don't expect and accept.

In the end... I just want her to feel good again, which i suspect everyone here would agree with.