Thread: Smarty Jones News

Custom Title

Smarty Jones News

Smarty Jones will resume training this week in preparation for the Pennsylvania Derby on September 6th (Labor Day). He will not race in any of the big summer stakes races at Saratoga and Monmouth.

After that, he will run in the Grade II Pegasus Cup at the Meadowlands, as a prep for the Breeders' Cup.

Also, one-eyed wonder Pollard's Vision won the Grade III Leonard Richards at Delaware Park, in the slop. Way to go, PV!

.....And I finally hit a box trifecta on Saturday!

I wanted to see Smarty run in the Whitney at Saratoga on August 2nd or in the Travers on Aug. 26, though that would conflict with the Pen Derby.

Custom Title
    I don't think Servis will have Smarty quite ready to take on older horses in the Whitney at Saratoga. The Grade I Whitney usually attracts the top older horses in the country. With Smarty just getting back to training this week, he won't be geared up anywhere near in time for the Whitney. BTW, I don't think the Whitney could be on August 2nd, because that's a Monday, and major races like the Whitney are on Saturday or Sunday. It'll be either the 7th or 8th, or the 21st or 22nd.

I know for sure the Travers is on August 28th, and that is only 9 days before the Pennsylvania Derby.

Thanks for the info! I'll be looking forward to Smarty racing on 9/6.

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    I think that Smarty's owners have always wanted to point him towards the Pa. derby to show him off to his "hometown" fans. I'm glad they're keeping their promise, as much as I would have liked hime to go to Saratoga for the Travers. (Saratoga is such a beautiful placer to have a track!)

Custom Title
    I have season tickets to the "Spa" every summer, and I really would have liked to see Smarty run in the Travers. But I also have gone to the Pennsylvania Derby on Labor Day every year, and this time, I don't know if I can even get reservations. Philadelphia Park is going to be packed to the doors! I watched the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont from Philly Park, and there was pandemonium when Smarty won the first two races, and tears when he got edged in the Belmont.

Nick Zito has said he might send Belmont winner Birdstone to the Pennsylvania Derby for another shot at Smarty. If he does, that will be one exciting race. I just hope that it doesn't rain on PA Derby day (even though that would just about set it up for Smarty). Last year, the track was a sea of mud and the race was impossible to handicap. A horse named Grand Hombre won, and I've never seen or heard about him since.

Oh, I'd loved to go to the Spa some year. It looks like so much fun!

Custom Title
    BAD news! Smarty has a bruised foot and won't be running in the Pennsylvania Derby after all. He will have one race before the Breeders Cup, and it will probably be the Pegasus at the Meadowlands or Monmouth. :(

I heard about this days ago and still say--DARNIT!