Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hot/Cold skating practice/lessons

Tripping on the Podium
    LOL!! A banner would be funny! But I don't think that's necessary! I'm glad to have any support I can get, though! I hope you won't be disappointed!

Pat

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    No way could you disappoint me--I look forward to seeing you skate!!!

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    Pat: I told my coach I'm planning to come see you skate, and she thinks its a great idea for me to see a competition like this before I do one. The only other adult skating I've ever seen was at the Princeton Open in 98, where our "Sewing Mom" from costume repair at Nationals that year enticed me into coming to see the adults compete. It had the desired effect: I looked at them and said "I think I could do that" and the rest is history.

Hot, hot, hot ONE FOOT SPINS today!!! My coach keeps using the analogy of the push off for a left power 3 when I do salchows, and it helps me keep my free foot back and checked properly before I jump. Today I applied it to one foot spins, and presto!!!! The foot and arms came around together and I didn't "smush" and lean to the right and was actually able to bring the free foot in for a few revs. I think I hit four of five revs with one. Hopefully, this is a "light bulb moment" that will stay with me. It helped again with sal, too---I'm probably going to be the only competitor in history who will go for my scratch spin and my sal thinking "Think power 3--think power 3!!!!" :D

We also worked on entering subsenquent waltz jumps from the first one without twisting the shoulders and hips, and there was good improvement here, too. I can't WAIT to practice some of this stuff on Saturday!!! WHOO HOO BABY!!!!! :D :D

Tripping on the Podium
    Hi Yaz -- So is it a compliment or not that your coach wants you to come see me skate? Actually, you should definitely also watch the pre-bronze free skating and the bronze free skating. Interpretive can be quite a mixed bag! I know 2 of the other skaters in the event, and one skated extensively as a kid and should be skating silver (all levels are combined for interpretive, though) and the other won adult nationals in Bronze ladies in her age group a few years ago. I'm always the lowest level skater but that's okay. I like the challenge of learning new choreography and of going out and skating my best under pressure!

Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing you in around 10 days! I may not be too social before the event, though, just to warn you...

Pat

Hot- finally landed my loop jump on ONE foot! :D

Cold-the ice rink and my back spins

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    dlk: :D :D :D Whoo hoo, good for you on the loopl

Pat: Social???? Don't even worry, just let me know if you want me to bring anything to the rink for you besides, smiles, hugs, cheers and maybe a teddy bear.

Tripping on the Podium
    Awww, thanks Yaz. I appreciate it!

And I missed out on practice and a lesson today since the rink cancelled the ice with no notice. No ice on Sunday, either. Stupid hockey camp; like they didn't know this months ago? Fortunately, we have another option on Sunday evening, so I'll get some practice in and a lesson too, and our off-ice stretching, but still... Good thing I'm pretty comfortable with my program!

Pat

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    Pat: I doubt you'd want to make the hour plus drive, but Wintersport arena here in Willow Grove has Sunday ice from 8:30 - 10:00 AM through September 5th, and its highly likely the only two people who'll be on it tomorrow will be hubby and me. Just a thought. Here's the website:

[url]www.wintersportarena.com[/url]

Its a small place tucked behind an Irish pub, but very well maintained, excellent ice (they just came off summer maintenance yesterday) and their sound system is great.

Tripping on the Podium
    Thanks anyway, Yaz, but we'll be fine Sunday evening. Although it would be nice to skate with you some time! But not at 8:30 am tomorrow! Have fun, though!

Pat

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    Cold as ice: The ice itself. Pat, I'm glad you didn't waste your time coming up today. The ice was bloody AWFUL. The rink was closed for three weeks for summer maintenance, and I believe they do melt down the rink for re-painting during that time. Unfortunately, the weather here has been rainy and miserable for the most part for two weeks, very humid and often hot, not great conditions for prepping fresh ice. The ice was rutty and pockmarked and seemed to have a coating of frost after the Zamboni cut the previous evening. Hubby joked that we were on Disney's "Test Track" going over the belgian block and other rough road conditions!!!

We would stroke around and feel it CRACKING under our feet. At one point, I was doing a one foot spin and had a good one going, and then the ice cracked and my skating foot slid into the crack and I stopped dead. Luckily, I didn't fall. We still put an hour in, but neither of us skated great. That's the only problem with the first few skating sessions after a melt down and re-ice, especially if the weather is off. It takes a while to get the ice right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2