what should i do to prepare for a test? | Golden Skate

what should i do to prepare for a test?

ice cold

Rinkside
Up untill now ive paced all my tests. but i didnt last time. Ive been working really hard and i know im going to pace this time, but any suggestions to give me a better chance?

Hi Ice Cold, I moved your question over here to the Lutz corner. You should get more answres here.

Mathman:)

pick_chick

Rinkside

Hi Ice Cold
what are you taking?? the most important thing when taking a test is to think of what you have to do and you and your coach should feel good about putting up the test. The other thing you can do for taking a test is visulize your self doing the test and doing it well good luck on your test

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pick Chick. To use the font, color and size tags, first click on "Enhanced Mode" above the dialogue box on the reply page.:)

MM

Glacierskater

On the Ice
ice cold said:
Up untill now ive paced all my tests. but i didnt last time. Ive been working really hard and i know im going to pace this time, but any suggestions to give me a better chance?

Ice,

What are you testing for?

I am on the adult track. My first test was at my rink away from rink (Tulsa). I was a wreck when I tested. I got lost, and my coach called me, frantic, wondering where I was. So I get there and the ENTIRE rink is waiting for me. WATCHING me, WHIPSERING, and some chuckling because this one day I could not find the rink. I had no warm up time. I had to get right out there and do it. My legs were like jelly. And another adult skater approached me and told me that she was there just to watch me test because she wanted to test too, but wanted to see what I did. No pressure. That was adult pre bronze. I just felt dazed and confused with the whole thing, and did not skate my best, although I did pass.

THEN I tested at my home rink in March of this year. I worked very hard for my adult bronze, and practiced quite a bit. I felt very comfortable with my moves, and pretty good with my freeskate. So test day, I was in high spirits. The thing I told myself was that I needed to be comfortable. For me that meant feeling good about my ability to execute my moves. I felt that I was skating to the best of my ability. And most of all, I let my love of skating shine through. I think that did more for me than anything. Once of the judge approached me after my free skate and told me that I had wonderful ice presence. I almost fell off the skate counter. To have a judge say that was the best thing that I could ever hope for. He actually ENJOYED my skating. I don't want people to hurl when they see me skate. I want to be enjoyable to watch.

So, in conclusion, here are the things that I do to prepare: I do my homework. I look my elements up on the internet or with my coach, and I find out what the requirements are, and what the judges are looking for. There are some websites that also provide information on what the common weaknesses are, and what the required details of the elements are...like edge control, flow, speed. That is the first thing...then I take what I have learned to the ice with me. I work on moves everyday that I am on the ice. I use them as warm up exercises. I incorporate former moves that I have passed as well so that I can keep my skills up on them. Then, in my lessons, I make sure that my coach goes over my moves. Some days, that is all that I practice over and over. My Tulsa coach tells me to do the weak side 5 times more than the strong side to build the other side up.
After I am comfortable with my moves, I focus on my program for my freeskate. I try to do both when people are around just to get comfortable in front of people. If I am having a hard time with a particular element and it is impacting me, then I will move on, and come back to it.
Finally...get enough rest and eat well. Make sure that you go to bed at a decent hour the night before you test. Eat breakfast to give your body the energy that it needs. Make sure that you warm up on and off the ice. Don't overdo it in practice before you test, but do enough that you are warm and feel good. Remember that we skate for FUN. This is not something that we are forced to do...we do it because we are obssessed, and our additive nature will not let us just let it be a hobby, we have to live, eat breathe, and sleep skating....woops, that just me :) Anyway, remember to transfer your love of skating to the ice. Don't look like you are miserable out there, try to share how awesome it is in what you are doing. Lastly, after you skate out, and you are on the ice, and everyone is expectantly looking on, and it is just you, the ice, and the silence...before you move: BREATHE. Just a couple of nice deep breaths (no hyperventilating) to relax. Block everything out and breath. If that does not help, throw up in the nearest trash can then go show 'em what you can do :D :laugh: :eek:

Oh, and make sure that you are comfortable in what you test in. I do not wear dresses when I skate, and I do not wear them when I test. As an adult, I have that option, and I look terrible in a dress. I wear black pants (usually velvet) and a nice sweater. It makes a big difference. When I compete I usually wear a dress and it is weird to skate in a dress when you are not used to it.

I hope that this helps. The more you test, the easier it gets.

Oh, one more thing...when you are skating, focus on what you are doing at the moment. If you are worried about an up and coming element, think about it when you get to it. Don't anticipate it and throw your concentration off from what you are currently doing.

Last edited:

ouridol

On the Ice
Just believe in yourself, don't stress out, and be confident. Dont get hyped about it. In fact try not to think about it at all...