Heat Relief - It's Raining!!! | Golden Skate

Heat Relief - It's Raining!!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
After an unbearable week of extreme heat, mother nature finally provided some relief in the form of rain! It's been trying all day to rain and finally the heavens have opened up. It's just wonderful. The air has some moisture and I can breath again. My apt has been well over 100 degrees and unbearable at night to sleep. I never thought I would welcome rain. It's beautiful and so refreshing. Maybe I will get some needed sleep tonight.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
100 degrees! Don't you have air conditioning? Where do you live? I don't blame you for not being able to sleep. I was marveling last week that I am so happy to have a sport that is done in a cool area! It is so nice on hot summer days.

Vash01

Medalist
We have 107-108 degF with higher temperatures (112 degF) and no rain in the forecast. The saving grace is the AC, and the swimming pool, but it still is very hard to cope with this heat. The ice rink is too far to be of use. I can only go there once a week. There is one that is closer but it is too expensive. I wish it was raining here.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Goodness where do yall live that it is consistently over 100?? I live in south texas and its not that hot here!!! But it has been an unusually cool summer so far. At least every one has AC here, and I can always cool off in the pool, though by aug the pool with be like bath water.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I live in Surrey, BC (near Vancouver) where the temp. is rarely over 70 degrees, but my apt. is on the third floor (facing South) and with the steady heat wave it feels like 100 degrees in here! No air conditioning. I have a couple of fans, but they seem useless at times. The rain has helped cool things somewhat, but the forecast for Friday is 35 C. (not sure what that is in fahrenheit), but it will be awfully hot in here!!! Won't be able to breath.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I have some good tips for those with no AC who may have trouble sleeping at night...

Drink one more glass of water than you normally would before you go to bed

Cucumber slices on the eyes help your body feel cooler all over for some reason

Garlic helps you sweat more efficiently, so include some in your diet

go to bed with your hair wet, it will keep you cooler

try peppermint body lotion, the smell makes your senses tingle as if it was winter

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Longhornliz:

Thanks for the tips!!! We are supposed to have a real heat wave in the next couple of days. My place is not too bad tonight, because of the rain, but Thurs. and Frid. could be unbearable.

Vash01

Medalist
I am in Arizona and it's dry heat here. All buildings and cars have AC and still it is unbearable because just a few minutes outside can roast you. We drink lots of water, of course. It is easy to get dehydrated.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
LAD, send that rain my way cause boy is it hot here!

I too have the same problem of a hot apartment and no AC. We did have one but when we moved to this place about 6 months ago, we discovered that it will not fit in the windows.To top it off, this apartment sucks in the heat like crazy. Yesterday I felt sick from it all. I cannot handle heat very well. So I wore my bathing suit all day, filled the tub with cold water and jumped in every so often. It helps. I also take a really cold shower before bed too.
I'm going to try your tips liz, thanks.

Vash01

Medalist
My heart goes out to those of you who are experiencing unusually hot weather and are without an AC because normally it is not needed. It must be very difficult. Be sure to drink lots of water.